"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably about an hour, give or take.

Maurice's experience and preparation has already saved our asses on this show and doubtless will again.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Ah, I was wondering, if it were movie length, if there was some chance of getting it aired on Sciffy or somesuch.

3. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I'd rather buy it on DVD. Preferrably through a way where the team behind the production gets more than the usual fraction left after a distributor and other middlemen.

4. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Seconded.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm glad to see that there's support for DVDs. We'll be looking into several distribution channels, of course, and nothing will really be settled for quite a while.

I'm kind of narrow-focus - get the work done the best that we can do it and then move on to the next part. You always have to keep the next part of the process in mind, of course, but I try not to concentrate on it. Right now we've got twenty-two pages of script to shoot in three days this weekend.

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the heads-up. It's already good to know you're looking into it.
    And I'm sure Jason could be bribed into designing a booklet cover. ;)

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'll buy it on DVD in any case, but a broadcast deal means more exposure and more money for the creators.

8. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Damn straight.

9. xortex

Plus it might become a series and that would make us all happy.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Some general rules of thumb:

1. Make sure you understand what matched looks are and that you REALLY understand what "the line" is in a scene.

2. Don't try complicated staging if it's your first film. If nothing else, watch Citizen Kane, and copy the setups, as they're uniformly amazing.

3. Avoid shots with characters in profile. Seeing people from the side is the least interesting and least intimate. Always get them facing somewhat into the camera.

4. NEVER shoot only a single setup of anything. ALWAYS shoot some coverage from a different angle, setup, and size, so you have something to cut away to if you need to clip different takes together or lose part of the action.

5. Always shoot an entrance and an exit (thanks, David Mamet). This means characters entering and exiting the shot. It's essentially free, and can save your butt if you need cut something out and need a character to enter at a different time than in the master.

6. Shoot B-Roll of characters doing their jobs, looking up and towards other characters off camera, reacting to things they hear, etc.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  11. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Except the poor actors who get replaced by bigger, prettier names. :)

12. Admiral Buzzkill

We'll all just split up the money and run, dude. :lol:

13. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

There is no one prettier than you and your wife...

14. xortex

15. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I can live with that. ;)

Ah, if only that were true. But thank you anyway. :)

16. Maurice

How about ruggedly handsome? And I don't mean your wife ;)

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Carol, our makeup artist, arrived from L.A. this evening. She and Doug and I had dinner at Nick and Deb Gilbert's house - Nick was our catering/craft services guy in December. Anyway, Carol and Nick G. finally got to see an assembled scene from the movie and they both remarked on how great Nick Cook is in it.

"Back to kill more of those Transhuman bastards..."

18. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

An excellent list! I've given my fellow producers a copy of it!

19. Maurice

Two days into our greenscreen shoot, and we're more or less on schedule, even though we rearranged some stuff. Sunday should prove challenging.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  20. Admiral Buzzkill

Famous Last Words:

"We'll have all day Sunday to shoot the fight scene."

I am - there's no way around it - in the early stages of geezerhood. By 12:00 midnight last night I was dead on my feet. And given my inexperience as a director, among other shortcomings, I'm probably the least qualified person in the room to direct a fight scene. This would be the "fight scene," above, which had been carefully scheduled to start shooting about ten hours earlier. God is just not interested in the intended schedules of directors.

DS9Sega saved the schedule by stepping in and directing it. Working with our Director of Photography Alex, the actors and crew hammered through the scene, which was choreographed by our actor Garrett Melich ("Gaitanis"), in about an hour. One pick-up with Garrett after that, we wrapped the Indian Head shoot around 1:00 AM this morning.

Garrett is a joy to work with - funny, thoughtful and endlessly patient - and although he's a scary effective villain he makes the character impossible to dislike - IMO, anyway.

Last edited: May 3, 2010