(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Don't worry, it's highly unlikely to make any difference. Austria still is Austria after all. ;)

2. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, I keep my Champagne/foie gras/Château d'Yquem...

3. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

A thoroughly disappointing weekend in the EPL (well, for me!). Arsenal overturned without much difficulty.

Despite an exciting start I think it's going to be a difficult season for Arsenal. Still absolutely competitive, just not free of aberrations.

4. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

As far as I'm concerned they should be giving Adebayor a medal, not threatening him with a ban! He stood up for women and women's rights everywhere by stomping on serial rapist Robin Van Persie, and then showed how some Arsenal fans are completely nuts and can't control themselves or their tempers.

What a guy!

5. Roger Wilco

^^
    :lol:

I literally have tears in my eyes from reading that.

6. Garak

One would hope that local law enforcement took note of those unruly travelling Arsenal fans and will impose match bans on them throughout England - the black eye they've given calm, focused football fans like myself is certainly unfair and I'd hate to see the rest of us punished just for the actions of a few.

And when is Rape Van Persie going to be suspended for that shameful studs up challenge on Adebayor?

In other news, it is getting more and more clear why Arsenal can't afford expensive players in the transfer windows - between the hush money they pay RVP's "sexual conquests" and the massive bribe they gave to UEFA for overturning Eduardo's ban, that poor team must be close to broke! :(

7. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I don't believe for a second Adebayor didn't have his celebration in mind long before he actually scored. Caught up in the moment my ass he knew full well what he was doing and should have foreseen the kind of reaction he'd get. In a way I don't blame him because the Arsenal fans gave him a lot of shit last year, but equally he should be a professional about it like anyone else who scores against their old club. Not even Berbatov celebrated when he scored against Spurs last year and the fans hated him for the manner of his departure.

Handsomely beating your old club should always be enough and for most it is. Adebayor should get every one of those next six games' bans for both that and his insane kick at van Persie. It's not even making an example of him. It's punishing downright reckless and dangerous behaviour that we should not have to put with.

8. Garak

Yeah, because expecting Arsenal fans to act like adults is totally unreasonable. :rolleyes:

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Probably more chance of them acting reasonable than you will, your comments are typical of the average Sky Sports forum member and thuggish football fan.

Adebayor should get a Ben Thatcher type ban at the minimum and in other news Eduardo has had his suspension over turned :rolleyes: WHAT A JOKE UEFA.

10. HappyDayRiot

Yeah gotta applaud Uefa on this one. They obviously realised how much work and effort it would take to implement an anti-diving policy fairly and consistently, so now they don't even have to try.

11. Garak

Like I give a fuck. :lol:

12. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Super Pippo with a brace to beat Marseille. I don't care what anyone else says, the guy is a legend.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well can't say am surprised :rolleyes:

14. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

[Parisian mode]
    :techman:
    [/Parisian mode]

15. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Somehow I get the impression there's more to your approval of my comments than a simple appreciation of the Predator's skills. :p

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Nice comeback from Arsenal but I thought Week 1 of the CL was a bit of a DUD. I kind of miss the 90's when the group stages were hard to progress from and excited to watch.

I remember the days of

Man Utd vs. Juventus 2 times in a row in the grouo stage and then the 1998 group of Man Utd, Barcelona, Bayern Munich & Brondby.

17. HappyDayRiot

I know what you mean. This year isn't too bad to be honest because of all the very solid teams that ended up in pot 2 and there were quite a few good sides in pot 3 too. And Wolfsburg will mess things up I expect. But you can still predict every group's winners and runners-up, mainly because the structure of pot 4 means there's a guaranteed weak team in 7 groups out of the 8.

It's never a popular opinion, but I really think seeding isn't the best way. I know it's to ensure you have the top teams playing each other later on, but I'd love to see a completely random group draw where anyone can get anyone else. It might even kill off the English-Spanish-Italian monopoly on the competition if they get drawn together.

I wouldn't be against a straight knockout competition either, scrapping the groups altogether. The stakes would always be high in every game, thus removing a lot of the duds you get with groups, especially when teams qualify early.

Also if you finish 3rd or 4th in your league, you shouldn't be in a 'Champions League'. Either change the name or amend the structure again. I know that would lead to leagues getting monopolised because of the extra money and TV rights but let's face it Spain and England are already a 2-horse race every year. If you're lucky it'll be 3 teams still in contention by March.

None of the above will ever happen :D

18. Roger Wilco

I'm all for bringing back the old Champion's Cup, Cup Winner's Cup and UEFA Cup. I've never been a fan of the Champions League. :D

19. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far, congratulations! :)

(Generally, I'll support any German team this season because we're very close to taking the fourth CL spot from Italy, but I'll make an exception for HSV. :D)

20. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just wondering now how drunkl Roger Wilco will be when he checks in. :D

Commentator just said: "Auch in dieser Saison scheint Grün-Weiß nicht die Lieblingsfarbe des HSV zu sein." :D :beer: :D