Things you DON'T want to see in a reboot...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Warped9, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

A reboot should be all about the wang :bolian:

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

As a straight male I'm really not inclined to want to see "the wang". But as a Star Trek fan, I really don't want to see the female anatomy either. I grew up watching Star Trek and like the fact that it's something I can share with my kids. I really don't want Game of Thrones with a Star Trek coat of paint.

YMMV.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

So expanding the concept, hypothedically Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway could all be classmates?

Kirk would so hit on Janeway.

We could even have Boothby as the grounds keeper who advises the cadets (and in a double role the actor would also be one of the instructors, Mister Hand).

And Johnathan Archer as the guy who vacuums the floors outside the simulator room.

:)

4. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Things you DON'T want to see in a reboot:

1. Kirk, Spock and others. Please, don't. Leave them alone. They did what they did. No reboots, no new variants of the same stories. Please.

2. Teenager's adventures / problems / love / hate / nonsense (Academy years included). Please, don't. I like teenagers, they are very good people, but their stories are quite the same: love, domination in class, search for recognition and other stuff.

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: ((...snicker))

6. 2takesfrakes

:cardie: :wtf: :alienblush: :ack:

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The same with Scotty, he did eventually rise to the rank of Captain in TSFS.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Jar - Jar Binks.

Daleks

Gummi Bears

9. 2takesfrakes

I don't want to see any more Hand Bras! It's pointless. It's stupid-looking. Makers of STAR TREK, if you're going to flash some boob, try looking at what others have done, in the movie industry. For example, she turns towards him in a bath towel, which she drops. We see her from behind, but also, somewhat from the side, as well. Enough to catch her naked breast in profile. Something like that is ... sexy. Not seeing some chick holding her tits, whilst she holds deep, meaningful, plot-driven conversations, facing the camera, the whole time. There's no word for how dumb this looks ... really. So ... yeah. Let's ... let's not shoot it this way, anymore. 'K?:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
  10. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

There could have been, but none graduated SFA before him. There could have been some sort of "exchange" program in place where Vulcan captains swapped places with Star Fleet Captains... kind of like Riker did on the Klingon ship.

Under "Premise" http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_First_Adventure

I don't believe (could be wrong) this is a canon fact.

Understand, but now what do we have. An inexperienced Kirk that through fate ends up given Star Fleet's flag ship. This has to be the least experienced Star Fleet Captain in history.

Yeah, I alway thought "they" was referring to the TOS bunch.

I've just never been to keen on the idea of including their academy days as adventures... pretty boring if you ask me.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Exactly. There is nothing that substantiates this assumption. Indeed it's counterintuitive that in an organization that represents different races Spock just happens to be the first Vulcan to graduate from Starfleet Academy. If anything Spock's notoriety (on Vulcan anyway) could more likely come from being a prominent Ambassador's son, something Starfleet mightn't give a shit about. The fact that Kirk and the rest did not know Spock's father was so prominent speaks to this being kept private outside of Vulcan society. And note, too, that T'Pring mentioned Spock was known in Vulcan society and yet again Kirk and McCoy and the rest knew nothing about it.

In some respects it makes Starfleet seem a bit like the French Foreign Legion where they didn't care who you were or where you were from. Your identity seemed to start the moment you signed up.

So certain individuals in Starfleet (and maybe even Pike himself) would know Spock's background from when he enrolled in the Academy, but beyond that the knowledge was essentially kept private.

Finally the argument T'Girl makes about the crew of the Intrepid is a valid one. And it suggests a more diversified and interesting background then one where Spock was simply the first and most well known. Indeed if he had been the first and most well know then why wouldn't it have been referenced before in an episode?

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

On the other hand, I have no problem with Spock being the first Vulcan-Human hybrid to graduate from Starfleet Academy.

:)

13. Bry_Sinclair

I personally dislike the whole "Spock being the first Vulcan at the Academy" thing, since my recall on TOS is a little rusty I'm not sure if such a thing was ever stated in an episode.

That being said however, is he was the first, there are a few possible options to answer the point about the Intrepid's Captain. For example:
    - Spock might be the first but it doesn't mean he was the best. He could be classed as very average, whilst the Vulcan future-Captain of the Intrepid was a brighter individual, which saw him excel in Starfleet.
    - Whilst Spock went into the Sciences the Intrepid's Captain entered Command, with the ambition to become a starship CO and made sure to be in the right place at the right time to get promoted up.
    - The Intrepid's Captain did a NuKirk and jumped from Cadet to Lieutenant to Captain in the space of a week, somehow.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ It's never stated in any episode that Spock was the first.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It is stated in nuTrek. And that's TEH CANON now!

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Since it's an alternate timeline anyway it means squat in regards to TOS continuity. That on top of so many other things.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also implied in TOS. Nobody knew about Spocks pon farr thing. If he wasn't the first, then why?

I say, either the whole pon farr schtick is a continuity violation, or that Vulcan Captain is. And I vote for Spock being the first Vulcan officially graduated Starfleet Academy.

Maybe that Captain came from Vulcan's Starfleet equivalent.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's not even implied in TOS. And just because Kirk and McCoy didn't know about it doesn't mean no one else in Starfleet didn't know. Spock himself said few outside of Vulcan know.

How can pon farr or the Captain of the Intrepid be a continuity violation? TOS was first establishing things in that continuity. If it's contradicted later by some other doofus then they're the ones creating any contradiction.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wrong. He was the first Vulcan to decline admission into the Vulcan Science Academy, not the first Vulcan in Starfleet.

20. Bry_Sinclair

Thank you. I could never remember it being said, but couldn't definitively state that.

Because Vulcans have a very "Victorian" attitude towards sex (both parties involved just shut their eyes and think of Vulcan :)). Its necessary for the continuation of the species, but its not something they discuss openly--even Tuvok seemed uncomfortable discussing the matter a century after TOS.