USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'sa looooong thread, baby! Cut daddy some slack.

;)

2. Adagio

Adagio Captain Captain

This ship is really gorgeous. This design looks like it harkens back to the days of exploration instead of war. Me likes. Furthermore, the more I look at this design, which is a lot because I have it as my desktop image, the more I am reminded of the Constitution class and Constitution Refit. The quantum torpedo launcher in front of the main sensor on the underside of the primary hull makes me think of the TOS Connie and the shape of the secondary hull just makes me think of the Connie Refit. I'm wondering whether this ship would be built in the San Francisco Shipyard, Utopia Planitia, or some other shipyard. Anything that you can tell us, Vector?

3. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the subject of where the Grandeur was built is probably best left to Captain Roop and the gang, especially given its unique status as belonging to the Interstellar Federation Taskforce rather than Starfleet.

As for design influences, I'll confess that I have had the Constitution class refit very much in mind all through the development of this project. In fact, in an alternate sense, I think this design could plausably be considered a 24th century direct adaptation of the Constitution class.

By the way, I've been doing a lot of work on this model over the last couple of weeks, mostly refinement of the existing shapes to fix mesh errors, smooth some of the curves a bit further, increase the mesh density in a few places that needed it, and so forth. I've got a few more things I want to finish before I show any more WIPs but there should be more to look at some next week.

4. Adagio

Adagio Captain Captain

I was thinking the exact same thing. Another thing that I want to mention is that I like how the nacelles do not look at all like the ones in the Sovereign class.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

not bad at all! Looks like the Sovereign had sex with the Ent-A, and the Galaxy-class got to fool around a little near the nacelles ;)

6. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

I don't see much Constitution inspiration, though :confused:

7. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Might be a bit late, but option 1 for the deflector, just move it up a little, put the registry in front of it, and put the ship's name above the deflector so it shows a little bigger.

Good work!

James

8. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Best. Starship. Ever.

Period.

9. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Vektor, I must ask one more question regarding the four forward torp launchers: are they rapid-fire or burst-fire?

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I have a better question. When are we gonna see some new pictures of it? :D

11. Vektor

I have done a lot of refinement work on the model over the last few weeks but very little of it is obvious enough to warrant a new set of renders. I'm holding off until I have some significant new details to show.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well, I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we can't wait to see them!

13. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

Seeing that this thread disappeared from out of the blue, and seeing that my question hasn't been answered ( :( ), I really have to ask again:

14. Vektor

I leave most of the technical details to Captain Roop and the gang, but I can tell you that there are a pair of standard torpedo launchers above the deflector dish, a single quantum torpedo launcher below the dish and another quantum torpedo launcher on the bottom of the saucer section. Rapid vs. burst fire is a question I can't answer.

By the way, real life has been hell on wheels for me the last couple of months and I really haven't made much headway on the Grandeur. I hope to be able to get something more done on it in the near future but I can't make any promises at the moment.

15. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

^^^ Go ahead, sir, but people like myself will keep this thread alive for you, just so you won't have to return to find a thread that has been purged (unlike some of my threads from last year). :thumbsup:

16. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Wait a second, who authorized you to have a real life? :p HOpe it all works out well for you and I'll be among the legions waiting fro your next post.

17. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

^^^ It's been 13 days since he had a "real life" ;)

18. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must say that is a Fantastic ship, Great Work Vektor, loved how you design your Nacelles just brilliant and how pylons is concected to engineering hull is perfect but what is that stands out off pylons between Nacelles and engineering hull just wonderering. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

19. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, I like it too. I have been fellowing this since you started it over on Scifi-Meshes and then when I got on here, I noticed you had it on here too. I can't wait to finally see what she looks like when its finished.

20. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

We posted the specs page a while back on here just so everyone knows. If there is anything else specifically that someone wants to know please let me know, we will do our best to answer it.

Also in case anyone was following the Grandeur Fourms, at this time they are down, hopefully in the future they will be back up, looking into some things.

Just like all of you, I too look foward to what Vektor will show us next. It has been a long time in the making but coming along nicely now.