College Football 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by B.J., Aug 28, 2013.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seeing as the season starts up this week, might as well start up a thread! :D

For my own alma mater, Georgia Tech, I never have high expectations (hey, it's an engineering school!), so any wins are always a pleasant surprise. But would they *please* beat Georgia this year?!? The drought is killing me!

As for my wife's alma mater, Auburn, it's hard to do any worse than last year's abysmal season! As she says, we can only go up from here! :lol:

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Glad somebody started a thread. I have nothing much to add to it right now (all the stories are either about Manzel or Alabama fans being bored of winning).

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

4. Alidar Jarok

Well, it's pretty clear they had no evidence whatsoever they he got money. Really, the NCAA is a joke. I have some problems with treating student athletes as professionals, but that whole system is in desperate need of reform nonetheless.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That whole system needs to go away. Not sure what you replace it with that will be any less corrupt, but the NCAA is such a joke and it needs more than just reform.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Hokie fan here. Really looking forward to the blood bath at the hands of Alabama to start the season. The Hokies seem to have this tradition of saying "fuck a tune up game."

7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I really hope y'all put in a decent showing at least. With that game and UGA vs Clemson, there are two SEC/ACC games to start out the season, and the ACC really needs to win at least one of those.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The NCAA is never going away. How else do you expect the universities to make money? I do have issue with my tax dollars going into these universities with all this sports revenue and tuition getting higher and higher, but that's another story.

I got Manzel's autograph last week. Didn't pay for it and he seemed a nice guy. The common sentiment here is people are happy that ruling wasn't any worse. Half a game..... ooooooooh. If he was guilty of it, I'm sure he'll never do that again. ;)

9. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

not yet It's been almost 9 months since the tide won a championship I'm ready for the drought to end :rommie:

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bah, A&M beat you champs and we'll beat you again. I'm obliged to talk non stop trash about how my team's going to thrash everyone until we actually step onto the field. ;)

11. Use of Time

The thing I don't like about following my college football team is that usually one loss eliminates you from winning it all. (Unless you are in the SEC.)

I watch the Hokies with the following mindset. I start at the top and when things become less likely, I shift the goal down a notch.

1. National Title (Pie in the sky thinking at best)

2. Conference Title (Nice! Hopefully we don't get an SEC team in the BCS game)

3. BCS at-large bid (Got one of these a couple years ago against Michigan. That was a catch Ref!)

4. The season is fucked. Just don't lose to Miami or Virginia please.

After this Saturday I will already be down to goal #2.

12. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

After those losing seasons Alabama had at the beginning of the decade, not sure we could ever get bored of winning! ROLL TIDE!!!

13. Alidar Jarok

Hey, I didn't make up the story. It's probably stupid, although 30% of tickets are unfilled and there were random interviews with students who said they'd rather sleep than go to an 11:00 game. But Rama Jama Yellow Hammer, I really don't care one way or the other (wait, that doesn't really rhyme).

14. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

talk is cheap bu johnny football's autograph isn't enjoy It's hard for me to dislike A&M because of Bryant and Stallings connection to the school I've always Pulled for them but not against the tide

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Well, my beloved Trojans look sketchy: Good defense, good running game, serious problems at the QB spot.

Both Wittek and Kessler looked off against Hawaii. If that game is any indication of our season, it will be a long one.

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Would you say this is Kiffin's "make-or-break" season? I have seen that postulated elsewhere, but think they're a bit premature. Still.... the pressure is only going to get worse for him

17. Use of Time

He had a lot of talent on both sides of the ball last year in comparison to the rest of the PAC-12. (sans Oregon) He had an experienced QB and one of the premier WR's in college football. That performance against GT in their bowl game was abysmal. I will never understand why guys like Colin Cowherd continue to think this guy is a hot commodity head coach. He was handed the keys to a Lexus last year only to leave it crashed and burning in a ditch.

18. 1001001

That was mostly on Wittek though. He was terrible.

And it doesn't look like has improved all that much.

I don't know about Kiffin. I think he's okay. Unless he can suit up at QB, there's not much he can do.

19. Use of Time

Maybe, but that whole team just didn't show up in that game. They obviously didn't want to be there and it showed. The Wittek excuse is fine for the bowl game but the PAC-12 wasn't that deep last year and USC really struggled against teams that didn't come close to having the same talent they did.

20. 1001001

Last year was a tremendous disappointment. I look at the defense for a lot of that. The Trojans were undisciplined, and got a lot of stupid penalties to extend opponent's drives.

I'm no Kiffin apologist, I'm really kind of on the fence with him. I'm not sure how much is his fault. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about the man.