My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

37s

With as important as gasoline is to our society how does Chakotay not know what gasoline is? Has he never read a history book? A 1936 Ford in space? With manure in the back???? Why would they just dump the truck in space? They kept the plane, why dump the truck? I do love it that when Paris started the truck, and it back-fired, everyone except Tuvok, who drew his weapon, ducked. The radio was playing an SOS. So to investigate, the VOY landed on the planet; landing the ship for the first time. That’s pretty exciting for the crew! –But seriously, Amelia Earhart was abducted by aliens???

This is pretty far-fetched thus far. Janeway looks stoked when she sees Earhart; she is glowing! Abducted by aliens?? Really?? I do love the part when Earhart remarks that she finds it hard to believe that Martians invaded the Earth, and Kim points out that Earth colonized on Mars in 2103.

Tuvok and Chakotay go to save Janeway. They are shot at, so Janeway circles around and corners them, calling a truce when they see that they are all human. Fred confesses his love to Amelia, when he thinks he is going to die. The doctor cured him easily though and commented that he would be fine minus a small hangover (I feel like the Doctor should be able to cure a hangover). The Briori abducted over 300 people in 1937 and the humans that shot at the crew are the descendants of those people (there are now over 100,000 of them…that’s a lot of “reproducing” in 400 years).

The descendants of the 37s (the original 300) have set up three beautiful cities, and invited anyone from the VOY crew to stay. There is a lot of worry on Janeway’s part about how much of the crew they are going to lose, and when she opens the doors to the cargo bay and sees that no one left she almost cries. While the scene was touching, I find it hard to believe that out of 152 people no one stayed.

Favorite part: We find out the crew numbers: 152!

Least favorite part: This definitely would have made a better ending to Season 1 than a start to Season 2!! Why did the Briori travel 70,000 light years to get slaves, and how did they get those slaves get back and forth so quickly? Furthermore, the volume of a sphere with a radius of 70,000 light years is 1,436,755,061,466,666.5 light years cubed; the likelihood that they would stumble upon the one planet that has humans (and Amelia Earhart) is less remote than Harry Kim ever being loved by a real woman.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

A lot of people today would have no idea what coal was used for.

Making stuff black?

3. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thread-winner! :lol:

And the only thing worse than the resolution of this episode would have been if Amelia Earhart had joined the crew of Voyager. Just think about that for a while.

4. Qutluch

I couldn't agree more, the 37's would have defintely made a better finale!

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly.
    People in modern times don't know what an 8 track tape is, why would folks in the 24th Century know a fuel source that hadn't been used even before Kirk's time?

6. Qutluch

Initiations

Chakotay is on a pakra and I am making dinner (listening more than watching), and then I hear Nog! As I whip around and shout “Nog!” I am sadly disappointed to see “him” as a Kazon….

Neelix is complaining to Janeway that he was not invited to the holodeck defense simulations. He kind of reminds me of my Grandma. Sometimes she talks me into doing things I really don’t want to do, but she is so intent on helping or trying to do something kind that I just go with it. (I’m prepping for my Grandma’s visit next week)!

While on his pakra Chakotay out-maneuvers the Kazon ship and saves the boy Kar (I’m sorry but he’s Nog, that voice will always be Nog to me)! Then another Kazon ship takes both Chakotay and Kar as captives.

Then half the episode skipped because of my crappy-library DVD. Next thing I found out a Kazon told someone to get Chakotay something to eat because his execution would be that night. Chakotay is calm and explains to the Kazon that he wants his first impression of humans to be a good one and that he will not fight them or dishonor himself. The Kazon want Chakotay to kill Kar and he says that he will not kill a child. When the Kazon gives Chakotay a weapon to kill Kar Chakotay turns on him and puts the weapon to his (the leader’s) throat. Kar goes with Chakotay so he won’t die without his name (at least this way he has a chance). The Kazon ship chases them and since they cannot out-run or out-gun it they transport to a habitable moon.

In the meanwhile, the VOY is tracking Chakotay’s ship. Janeway aks Neelix to stay on the bridge to help in case the Kazon return and he remarks, “You can count on me to keep those nefarious Kazon at bay”! Great use of the word nefarious!! It is fun to watch Neelix at work. He would make a good politician! Neelix calmly calls the Kazon out for lying and explains the situation to them.

Chakotay and Kar have a heart-to-heart talk and Chakotay tries to explain that he had to earn his uniform just like Kar has to earn his name; with the exception that he did not have to kill rather study and learn to earn his place. Chakotay tells Kar to kill him just before his crew arrives because they could revive him and Kar could get his name. When it comes to the moment to kill him Kar kills the Kazon Razik and puts Haliz in power. Haliz gives Kar his name and allows the Federation to leave for one-time only without being killed.

Favorite part: I got to see “Nog” again and I enjoyed his and Chakotay’s heart-to-heart talk.

Least favorite part: The episode was a little anti-climactic.

7. Qutluch

I guess I am just biased since I have two degrees in History... Chakotay is suppose to be into history and traditions though. If Paris knows how to start a 1936 Ford pickup truck you would think Chakotay would at least know that gas was an ancient fuel of some sorts!

8. exodus

Wasn't it Sting who sang: "History will teach us nothing"?:lol:

Seriously without giving to much away, you're going to learn that Chakotay is purposefully ignorant to his own cultural history, so I wouldn't look to him as a man of knowledge on the subject of History.

9. Qutluch

Projections

This episode starts with the Doctor being activated only to find that he is by himself on the ship according to the scanners. The Doctor thinks that everyone abandoned ship, and when he hears noises at his door he is kind of scared, and this was prior to his confusion about being a real boy or not. Why would the Doctor be scared? In “Heroes and Demons” he let a man cut a sword through him (despite B’ellana giving him control of what can and cannot pass through him in that episode, he shouldn’t be worried about being injured in this one.) I still have a problem with the idea that he has emotion. I see the need for him to have these emotions, but I think it’s a plot hole because if Data spent his whole life trying to create emotions for himself, I’m not sure how someone else was able to create digital emotions for a hologram.

The Doctor is able to travel to the bridge to help Janeway. While on the bridge, Neelix calls for help. He was in the mess hall fighting a Kazon; gun vs. fruit, and he still has enough confidence to smugly mock the Kazon with a “Missed Me!” The Doctor goes behind the Kazon and attacks him, giving Neelix enough time to get a sauté pan and smash him across the head. Then Neelix freaks out when he thinks he has a little blood on his shoulder. The Doctor, mockingly, tells him don’t panic it looks superficial. Then when the Doctor thinks he is bleeding Neelix, delivers the same line back to him, just as haughtily!! The Doctor is really confused because he is showing life signs and the computer claims that he is a real person, Dr. Zimmerman. The Doctor is told that he is the human and that the rest of the VOY are holograms.

Barclay appears out of nowhere and claims that The Doctor was Dr. Zimmerman and had created the VOY program in order to test psychological effects of solitude. Then my darn library disk skipped again and I missed a large part of their conversation. It was something about The Doctor not remembering who he was because of radiation. Barclay comes back and claims that the Doctor has to destroy the VOY in his “simulation” in order to live and end the program. All of a sudden the scene shifts to when the VOY was first catapulted across the galaxy. Then the Doctor claims that Paris was annoying and he deleted him and then KIM!!! (I bet everyone on the ship wishes that they could just delete Kim when they didn’t want to hear him whine!) The Doctor is becoming skeptical and suddenly Chakotay appears. Chakotay claims that the Doctor was on the holodeck and there was a surge that created a feedback loop and that if he destroyed the ship he would delete his own program.

The doctor struggles with who he is, partly because Kes is supposedly his wife. She tells him he is a real flesh and blood person. Chakotay counters her by saying that what matters is who he is as a life-form, not what makes up the body he walks around in. Kes tells him that he loves her and I hear, “I always wanted to tell you Kes….” (And yes, my disk skips again! GRRR!)

Next thing I know, the Doctor is back with everyone and it is revealed that he is The Doctor. Oh, but Then Kes and the Doctor have an awkward moment….something about him not really loving her, his wife. He starts yelling about it not being real, and that it was another delusion. Barclay shows up again, begging him to destroy the ship, saying that time is almost up! He shouts one more time, dedicating himself to his position of being a hologram and convinced that there is another feedback loop. Then, as a dozen different holograms of Paris, Kim, the Captain (speaking with his own voice) and then a wounded version of Zimmerman all merge together, he screams and starts to pass out. Suddenly, the Doctor is with Janeway and Chakotay on the holodeck, with the crew having fixed the radiation problem.

Favorite part: Neelix taunting an armed Kazon and throwing vegetables in his own defense, followed by sardonically teasing the doctor about bleeding.

Least favorite part: My stupid disk skipping!! It skipped so much this episode felt very choppy and a little out-of-sequence…

10. exodus

^^ I think you and I are the only ones that appreciate Neelix' since of humor.

11. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

^^I loved how we discover at the end of this ep that KES has an evil streak in her humor too... like when she teased the EMH about being married.

My fav part was when, unobserved, he put his arm out the sickbay doors and was pleased to see it disappear.

12. Qutluch

Also, two of my favorite parts. I wouldn't mind see a mirror universe Kes!

13. JanewayRulz!

Oh, in season 3 :evil: you will see the closest thing to a "mirror universe" Kes that Voyager can give you. :bolian:

14. Qutluch

Awesome; I look forward to it! Now that my Grandma's done visiting I should be able to breeze through Season 2!!

15. Qutluch

I’m back after my gambling-Grandma’s week in Vegas!!!

Elogium

Chakotay seems really pissed that he caught people kissing in the “elevator”. Why? You have to expect people to hook up when they are told that they may never return home in their lifetimes… I think that Janeway has the better ideology; not regulating people’s personal lives, but a touch of discretion wouldn’t hurt either.

I love Neelix’s angry face. He is so protective/jealous when it comes to Kes. Ewww….why is Kes eating bugs? Such a gross scene, and then she does that thing with her eyes….. The teaser also showed a quick clip of millions of “bugs” in outer space.

Neelix brings Kes flowers to apologize. I love it that Kes is eating everything under the sun? I think it is hilarious. My husband said that it reminds him of me…. The Doctor vs. Neelix….I would love to see that in a boxing ring. I don’t know why, but I particularly like the scene when Janeway puts her arms out and Kes runs into her arms shaking!! It appeared that Kes is hitting puberty??? LOVE IT! She supposedly either has to have a child now or not at all…Neelix may be in for a good time, and if puberty is that aggressive in the Ocampa….well…we can only imagine!!

I like the discussion that Chakotay and Janeway have about a generational ship. Chakotay brings up a good point. If they are in space for 70+ years they would have to re-stock crewpersons in half that time, which would mean that it may important for the crew to have children. I specifically like the discussion about schools, etc. that would need to be added.

Neelix seeks Tuvok out for child advice. We find out that Tuvok has four children; one daughter and three sons. Tuvok gives Neelix very logical advice, but he explains the joys of having children as well. Phillips does a great job with Neelix’s facial expressions in this episode. Neelix goes to Kes and agrees to mate with her. She has to undergo certain rituals involving a foot rub by a parent before they can begin. Kes has the Doctor stand in for her father in the ritual. She speaks with him regarding her decision and possible guidance. She explains that she is not finished growing and she is not sure how she is supposed to help a child grow when she is not grown herself. In the end, she decides not to have children. However, it turns out that her early puberty was probably false because of the creatures outside, and she may still be able to reproduce later.

The creatures in space are sexually attracted to the ship. Apparently, the ships signal is similar to the larger creatures’ signals kind of like pheromones. When the larger creature attacks the ship out of sexual aggression Janeway decides to roll the ship in an attempt to look submissive.

Favorite parts: I like this episode. It brings to light many of the questions about a crew lost in space specifically: dating, mating, and children.

Neelix’s face when Kes says she would want to mate with him!!

Tuvok, “It appears we have lost our sex appeal Captain”!

“In the future if I have any questions on mating behavior I will know where to go” Janeway to Chakotay. The look on Chakotay’s face is priceless!!!

Crewman Wildman is pregnant!! It is a generational ship now whether they thought it was a good idea or not.

Least favorite part: I don’t like how they drop crewman in and out of the storyline. We see Ensign Wildman in the beginning of the episode on the bridge, and I don’t recall having seen her before. Now, she is pregnant, and I assume she will be giving birth on the ship. I wish that there was a better way to introduce characters.

16. Qutluch

Non Sequitur

I knew the teaser was a dream sequence/misnomer of some kind as soon as I heard a woman in bed with Kim! Kim designing a ship…Free Vulcan Mocca….no one likes Kim that much! The episode continues with Kim going to give a presentation at Star Fleet….going home…getting laid (Yeah, right), etc. Finally Kim accepts that his reality is not right and seeks Paris out in the Gigolo pool hall from the holodeck. There is no way that Kim took Paris down on the pool table; even a drunk Paris could whip Kim!

Kim gets brought into Starfleet because his actions are making him look like a spy. Apparently Cosimo is an alien from a temporal inversion, and Kim’s shuttle collided with their time stream and they cannot get him back. I do have to give it to Kim that he fought so hard to get back to his own timeline. Even after his fiancé begs him to stay he still insists on leaving. When security beams into his home after he tampers with his anklet why don’t they just beam out the window after him? Why the foot chase?

Paris jumps in and helps Kim out. They definitely did a great job making Paris look younger/ a little wilder out of uniform. They beam into Star Fleet in order to beam aboard a ship and try and get back into their timeline. Star Fleet chases them because they think they are Maquis spies. They manage to get the shuttle back into the right timeline and Kim is back on the VOY.

Favorite part: I like Cosimo, and the part where his fiancé says that Kim should see a psychiatrist. (Not necessarily a bad idea in the regular timeline either…)

Least favorite part: The beginning was a bit slow. Plus, his fiancé would have freaked out when he explained why he was going to France. No one would be that calm after his explanation! Watching this episode was difficult for me….Kim’s character is just so whinny. Wang does a great job with the acting, making him look horribly whinny and whimpish, but the character drives me nuts!!

17. JanewayRulz!

I think it was ironic that the guy that wanted to go home the "most", actually went home... then chose to come back.

Danny Byrd must have been a good friend.

Or... maybe it was because Tom Paris was an even better one.

18. exodus

I liked Cosimo too.
    Kinda reminded me of Al from "Happy Days" mixed with a little John Goodman.

19. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best bit is that French dude (or was he Italian; can't tell the accents apart) the alien one speaking to Harry. Digged that accent, but as for Harry...

Poor guy becomes part of the background and you might have deduced this from how few major roles Harry gets.

20. Qutluch

He really was a good character, and I think part of it was his accent!