Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

What you're describing is essentially pan and scan, only instead of going from a widescreen image of some sort to a 1.33:1 image, you'll be doing the reverse. What it would come down to would be somebody supervising the process. Judging from the widescreen version of the original series that have been produced (a straight crop from 1.33:1 to widescreen) I doubt Paramount is willing to spend the money to do that.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tilt-and-scan. :)

3. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I was going to make a post defending a 16:9 conversion, but then I realized there's no guaranteeing that they would do it right. I've been watching Seinfeld from a 720p feed recently and I think it's a great example, although there is the occasional scene here and there that looks cramped. If the original film elements allows that kind of restoration I'm all for it. If they were basically going to re-frame the existing 4:3 shots as 16:9, I do not want that.

The TOS precedent seems to suggest that they would go 4:3 anyway. In the TOS case they actually had 16:9 masters they'd made but ended up releasing the 4:3 ones.

4. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Ahh yes thats it! I am describing a pan-and-scan kind of thing! Done in such a way that does not require two different versions on the same disc but software in the blu-ray player modifies the zoom area on the fly :)

5. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

If they re-scan the film at 16:9 they will have to watch every second of every reel of un-edited film for the entire show to make sure there is no equipment etc in the shot! Maybe this is why it is taking so long? ;) - Though on the other hand they might be 100% sure that this never happened in which case I bet they go 16:9!

I think we will have to wait till next year for an annoucement because TNG is 25 next year. TOS-R announcement came out of the blue for the 40th anniversary iirc.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Technically the right term, but it just sounds wrong. Actually, it will be quite amusing if tilt-and-scan becomes the standard, considering how much a certain segment pf people used to complain that widescreen home video was missing half the picture.

I believe someone else pointed out that even if there isn't equipment, crew, or other things on the edges of the 35mm frame, the film used doesn't have enough space for them to simply expand the edges to fit a 16:9 frame -- some image cropping will still have to be done on the top and/or bottom. I'm not sure what the exact technical details are, though.

7. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And my sister was one of those people. "It only takes up half the screen! I can see what's important with full frame!" "But you're missing out half the picture..."

8. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Posted before, but all details are here: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/ent_vs_tng.htm

Although it looks fine for those scenes, I think it would be far easier to just maintain the existing ratio for the whole series. Firstly because it actually is easier (and Paramount won't want to make more work for themselves if they can avoid it) and secondly because this is supposed to be a restoration project, not a remake.

And thirdly, screw the pillar-box hat0rz!! :p

9. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.

Huzzah! :techman:

Seriously, I was watching some old academy ratio (4x3) cartoons last night* on my widescreen TV and I did not have an issue with the pillarboxing at all. A couple of tricks: when you bring home a new TV turn the brightness down. A little more. Little more. Keep going. Little bit more. Little more. And... a little bit more. Seriously, TVs come from the manufacturer with the brightness set to "torch" mode, so that if a store pulls one out to be a floor model, it will look good under the harsh flourescent lighting. The lighting in your home is a different beast.
    Now, after you've turned down the brightness, leave it down for a week or two of regular watching. Then, and only then, start easing it back up a hair here and there. If you really want to get it right, look for one of those DVDs that will walk you through all the brightness and contrast settings on your TV and surround sound setup. Some DVDs even have a THX calibration function that will move you in the right direction.

Second, adjust the lighting in the room your TV is in. One trick is to have soft lights behind the TV so that the changing brightness of scenes on the TV doesn't let your eyes focus on the black bars. My TV is actually in our basement, and I was watching in total darkness, with the TV's brightness adjusted, and I would have sworn I was watching on a 4x3 screen.

These tweaks will really help your viewing experience, and if not, then you just need to learn to watch the material and not the black bars ;)

Ub Iwerks if anyone cares.

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

LCARS framing instead of black bars? :rolleyes:

11. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

This.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Patiently waiting....

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its whatever they want to make:lol:

14. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed. I don't think they particularly want to reframe every single second of footage, so they probably won't.

Will we get more info on this project at Comic-Con?

15. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Your guess is as good as ours. So far there hasn't been as much as a peep from CBS about any of this. We have only heard from people who have talked to other people who describe themselves as insiders at CBS. So far, our wishful thinking is the only thing we can be truely sure of regarding TNG remastered.

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Although far more resistant these days with the quality brands, Plasma displays are still susceptible to uneven phosphor ware - particularly in the first few hundred hours of use. It is always advisable to reduce contrast to 50% or less in this period.

I would then adivise calibration with a disc like Digital_Video_Essentials. If you want to get close to reference standard and lose "bluey whites" I'd recommend going with a PDP which includes THX mode (many Panasonics have it). In any case, get your displays the hell out of "Vivid" or "Dynamic" mode ASAP! Why do people equate high contrast and gaudy colours with "good" picture quality.:rolleyes:

Sans THX, I'd choose Cinema Warm on Panasonics. I'm sure other sets have similar.

Beyond this, it is inadvisable to view a high percentage of letter/pillarboxed material on a PDP - just feed your set a "varied diet" of material and you need not worry.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is true but I am willing to bet its in some stage of prep/production right now...it may be they r waiting till one or two episodes are finished so they can see how successful they were.

18. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From the Digital Bits:

19. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

link please for this new ComicCon update quote.

precisely what I suggested 2 years ago:
    Director's cuts aside (it will be the same old episode with updated VFX) I guess due to the cost 4 episodes will cost them plenty and they want to sell them and guage interest in the series completion. What do you want to bet one of those episodes is Best of Both Worlds?
    Knowing Paramount though they want your money so they will do it. On the other hand if they exclude it than it will force you to buy a whole season TNG-R Blu-ray to get the 2-parter episode...

also of note from 5/9/11 The Digital Bits