STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My record is AOTC which I saw 9 times. I would have seen ST:XI a lot more than the 5 times I went but circumstances kept making it impossible, something I regret.

(I freaking hated The Dark Knight and if I could get a refund of the hours I spent watching it I would.)

2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i saw all three star wars prequel movies twice. Revenge of the Sith i wish i saw more times.

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't typically see movies more than once in a theater, although I'd definitely go see STiD again, as it's more than worth a repeat viewing.

4. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just character and story, mostly. There has been some discussion on here, don't get me wrong. I was using a broad brush. I just didn't like what seemed like pages and pages of other stuff. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

5. teacake

Well you could reply to my recent post about butts since you did post about butts once yourself.

:D

6. HaventGotALife

My record is 5 times--Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. My record for Star Trek is 4 times (First Contact).

7. HaventGotALife

I was posting about the role of women in the movie. You caught me.

8. teacake

And I am posting about sex, as usual.

But yeah THE WOMEN!! We need them developed more. This movie took a step forward and arguably the Big Three are now Kirk, Spock and Uhura with McCoy sidelined. But there's a long way to go to get past the sausage fest.

9. teacake

This still applies to NuTrek IMO.. but at least JJ seems aware of the matter:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deQuFc3BP74[/yt]

:lol:

10. HaventGotALife

I liked Uhura. There really isn't a member of the original 7 I don't like in this movie. What about the idea of having a woman as an enemy? First since Lursa and B'etor.

11. teacake

Absolutely, as I said elsewhere I want a woman like Louise Fletcher or Polly Walker as an enemy. We could get that next film too, there could be two enemies. I'm thinking Kirk will have an enemy that he needs to unthaw Khan to help fight.

12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

At last for once something for the ladies ;)

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You forgot the Borg Queen.

14. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I think it would have taken too long to explain.
    But I think Spock should have taken a security team down too and it would have been good to see Khan and Spock just leave the 'normal' Earth dudes in the dust as they ran across San Fran.
    Can anyone remember whether the two security guys who went on the 'away mission' to Kronos lived. They weren't there when Kirk tried to punch out Khan

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The timestamps on your post and his are identical. He couldn't possibly have read your explanation first, because it wasn't there yet.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally saw it, and as much as I loved and defended the first movie..... this one unfortunately was just too much of a mindless action flick for my taste. :(

There were definitely some cool sequences in it, and some pretty good laughs (especially early on), but there was very little actual Star Trek in it.

There was no sign of the inspiring, optimistic Star Trek future anymore, no real exploration or philosophy or thoughtful dialogue-- just a lot of running around and fighting and people seeking revenge. Lots and lots of revenge. To the point where it really started to rub me the wrong way after awhile.

And while the overall storyline holds together on a basic level, there were so many liberties taken with the Trek universe and technology and character backstories that it just started to seem utterly random and ridiculous after awhile.

In the end, as much as I really hate to say it, I frankly think Nemesis is a better Trek movie.

17. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would recommend watching it again. I mean, if that's how you ultimately feel about it, that's fine, but from what you're saying here, I think you missed a great deal of the story. There is an undercurrent of optimism throughout the movie, and there's a strong moral thread running through it as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by liberties with the universe or technology, since Star Trek has always been rather loose with both, and I don't know what you mean by the effect on character backstories, either.

There is an element of revenge, and it sits squarely with Khan. While tangible and palpable for a while, the concept is gone from Kirk's mind before the Enterprise has even reached the Klingon border, as his sanity and rational thought prevails. Kirk's revenge motivation was that he had seen his mentor and father figure murdered. Shinzon's revenge was against a man he never met, who had never caused him harm, instead of toward the people who had engineered his existence.

And please forgive me for saying, but when I see "it has little actual Star Trek," or "it's not Star Trek," I just find that to be so wholly subjective as not to have any meaning whatsoever ascribed to it other than "it's not the movies I'm used to watching," which is, in itself, also wholly subjective.

The fact of the matter is that this is Star Trek, and that the idea, components, characters, and "spirit" of Star Trek is contained within that celluloid, even if you don't feel it is. It's entire premise is based on the knowledge that it is Star Trek.

That said, you picked Nemesis as your "real Star Trek" comparison and not The Wrath of Khan (also about revenge), which doesn't make sense, because Nemesis was about revenge, uberpowerful technologies, death, and sacrifice as well, with no exploring at all. They even went so far as to break the Prime Directive by driving a dune buggy with advanced technology on a planet with a pre-warp civilization, and firing upon those people when discovered (Kirk, on the other hand in STiD, took every action not to break the Prime Directive until it became life and death). Other than being warm and familiar to you, in what way is it Star Trek, and StiD not?

18. teacake

I'm thinking they need to visit the Xindi Aquatics in the next movie. For a least half the movie.

19. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I second the motion. I took one look at Karl Urban in that thing and fell in love. :D

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL - yeah I've often said that if women weren't so disloyal to their sex they could rule the world. :p

For me this is about equality, not for the characters but for the actors. In almost all professions you could sue for damages if you were refused a job on the grounds of your sex. Acting gets a pass because, with a few exceptions, it would be silly for a woman to sue because she didn't get the part of a male character. The sexism comes in because they don't write parts for women in the first place.

You may feel empowered but I'm sure actresses with no work do not.