(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, Gerrard on the left isn't even a consideration.

It would be either Milner or Joe Cole.

I'd take them over Downing any day of the week.

2. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. It may not have looked as bad from the ref's perspective, but the assistant referee should have a better view.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Gerrard form this season for Liverpool has been the worst in recent memory, his age and injuries are catching up with him. Lennon, Milner, J.Cole and 1 other would be my list...Walcott needs to have a blinder against Mexico and Japan in May to convince though I hate to admit SWP looked good against Egypt.

Speaking of Egypt I was so annoyed with Gerrard because when he loss the ball he was never running back and seemed very slow moving about.

4. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Clearly yes but I'm tempted to say no just to be annoying.

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

:lol: thanks.

Anyway, the referee called the penalty, but the other team's supporters are strongly complaining about it and I'm trying to figure out if I'm insane or they are. ;)

6. Shaytan

Hypocrisy is a normal behavior for a supporter it's even sometimes an "act of faith" (brrrrr, erk) ;)

Too easy, I'm not going to answer that, this is pure provocation :p

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yes, that's a definite penalty. The defender has clearly swung an elbow at the opposition player. The defender should be off for that.

I say this not knowing who the teams are here.

8. Roger Wilco

Clubs from 6 different countries in the CL quarter finals (if today's matches end as expected). That hasn't happened for a while I think.

And Inter completely deserved to advance; Chelsea seemed almost helpless to me throughout the game.

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Think Sneijder summed it up pretty well; Inter were lucky in the first game, but not last night. A thoroughly deserved win. The special one got the tactics absolutely spot-on.

Elsewhere, a mixed night. We somehow contrive to concede an injury time equaliser to ten men, but on the bright side, another defeat for Forest leaves them 8 points behind WBA and probably out of the automatic promotion race now. Wouldn't want to be going into the playoffs in that sort of form. It's looking more and more like Leicester will probably get that third promotion place. :(

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Last night was a weird game. The team had no energy and neither did the crowd, then they had a goal disallowed and suddenly both team and crowd really perked up! It was a shame to concede the late goal though, we were by far the better team in the last 20/25 minutes. Although they were down to 10 men it was fairly late on and I think we'd have needed more time to make our numerical superiority count. I have to say, Sunu was bloody fantastic. Never stopped running and even tackled back. On last night's performance I really hope we can get him for next season...

11. Roger Wilco

So, anyone think Stuttgart has a shot against Barcelona today, or are they going to get slaughtered?

eta: slaughter I guess...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  12. Iasius

Anything other than a slaughter would have been a surprise to me.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The world cup this sumemr deserves its own thread of course ;), when do you guys think is the best time to set one up...I was thinking maybe 2 weeks before the kick off date ?

Back to club football for a second I see Villa went AWOL this weekend :wtf: WTF happened there.

14. Iasius

Probably when club football is over and the final friendlies before the tournament/when final squad decisions are being made.

I don't think it would hurt to start one now. It probably wouldn't fall off first page, although it may not see too much traffic before then.

15. Shaytan

A world cup ? What world cup ? :shifty:
    (maybe if I ignore it, it won't exist ;) )

16. Iasius

Personally, I'm torn between expecting Germany to go out early, due to Jogi Löw, and wishing Germany to go out early so we can get rid of Löw. I loathe our coach, but I want (some of) our players to succeed, if that makes any sense. :)

I'd love to have van Gaal as coach actually (should be very entertaining at least :D), he's expressed interest, but hell will probably freeze over before we get a non-German coach.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  17. Shaytan

Oh, that makes sense since we're here in the same position (Domenech :scream: ).
    It's not this year that we're going to get revenge on Germany ;) (Germany :scream: ;) )

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The Tourney starts 11th June so might start it May 11th exactly one month before. PL ends on 9th so many other Domestic leagues will follow shortly and then like you said we will have friendlies and squads announcements to talk about before the main event.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Iasius why do you want Löw to get sacked?

* Euro 2008 runner up

* Q/F easily enough for WC 2010

is there pressure on him from the media?

20. Iasius

He continues to call up players that are completely out of form. Hitzlsperger (DM) for example: Not good enough to make the first 18 of Stuttgart even when they were 17th in the league, loaned to Lazio where he sits on bench. Meanwhile, he has already ruled out Frings months before the tournament, since then a further two DM players have been injured and will probably miss the WC, but he doesn't care.

His choices for strikers include Klose and Podolski who are out of form for months if not years (a combined four goals in the Bundesliga this season) while he ignores Kuranyi (17 goals) and Kießling (16 goals).

He also seems to have a propensity to nominate players who play at Stuttgart, the club where he was coach a few years ago.

Basically, he talks all the time about how current form matters for nominations and who'll play, but in practice that's not the case. I could mention quite a few more examples.