The Last Day

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Lonemagpie, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

2. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for posting it in a new thread... I posted it in the 50th thread, but should have started a new one for it.

It was pretty cool, but I'm not sure I understand the whole point of the premonition talk and such at the beginning.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought he meant the band!

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No one does.

Considering this was originally a DVD "exclusive", I don't find anything particularly special about it. Granted, its neat as an action scene, but it really isn't a spectacularly informative piece. And its fairly dissapointing, coming off the heels of Night of the Doctor. But, I suppose its our own fault for expecting something equally wonderful.

5. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed... Night of the Doctor set the bar INCREDIBLY high.. Because of that, it's going to be hard to come close with anything other than the actual anniversary special.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Reminds me a lot of the opening of Halo.

It's okay for what it is. I wanted it to get to its point a lot faster than it did.

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I liked it. It was quite intense due to the ego-shooter perspective and also chilling due to what happened. It shows just how far the Gallifreyans had become in their war attitudes if you compare it to Gallifrey in the old show.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt any future mini-episode will EVER top Night of the Doctor. But still, I thought this was pretty good, just because it's always fun getting another glimpse of Gallifrey.

9. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

By the way, for some reason, I always thought that Arcadia was a planet, not a place on Gallifrey. However, I can't remember what details (if any) we learned about it previously.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

video was removed, any other sources?

11. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is a planet, as mentioned by Amy Pond in "Vincent and the Doctor", but that doesn't mean that there aren't other places also named Arcadia.

12. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You know, I hate to say it, but it is getting harder and harder for me to take the Daleks seriously. The more that special FX improve and we see Doctor Who being filmed in HD, the more ridiculous and dated the Daleks look. They just aren't scary!

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

What do you mean... improved special FX? That looked like really low quality effects/rendering.
    If that had made it to a television episode let alone the 50 year special, it would have been laughable...
    This minisode was barely watchable.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just mean in general special FX have gotten a lot better. Every time I see a Dalek, they look more and more crappy.

18. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Funny, I'd say just the opposite.

Prior to the 2005 Who revival, the one and only time I'd ever found the Daleks menacing was in Dr. Who and the Daleks, back in 1965, and it's likely that I only found them frightening then, was because I was a mere child at the time.

But since the revival happened, the Daleks have been creepy as Hell, save for those way-too-brightly colored "Paradigm" Daleks that showed up in 2010, and were just plain silly looking.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Sometimes they can be, but other times they just seem ridiculous. I'm reminded of the scene from the "Army of Ghost" two-parter from Season 2 when the Daleks stick their plungers on the scientist's face. I feel like their extremities could use some updating.

20. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It really depends on the story.