5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, Jun 5, 2010.

?

What's your verdict?

1. Excellent

63.3%
  2. Good

28.5%
  3. Average

2.5%
  4. Meh

3.8%
  5. I'd rather cut off my ear

1.9%
  1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Think I need to re-watch it to decide on a grade but the more I think of it, the more I am leaning towards good/above average.

2. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

The more I think about it, the more I like the notion of madness including the ability to see very real things that no-one else can. Lots of interesting stuff on that as a definition of psychosis on the Royal College of Psychiatrists Spirituality group pages. :)

3. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

loved it. very well done.

apart from the visible wires on Matt!!!!

4. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

Loved it. I was worried at the start with Amys sudden, neccesary interest in art (keep this character trait, please) and the French speaking with westcountry accents, but it morphed into something much, much better. They didn't tone down madness or how those suffering are treated for the fact this is a kids show. They avoided making an invisible monster look stupid (very easy to do). The Doctor didn't instantly recognise the monster (I guess he's only a very-smart alien and not a lonely god after all). The Doctor being an art snob. 'If you're afraid of heights, get down from there!' Matt Smith seemed like the Doctor for the first time since 'Eleventh Hour'. Amy is mouring Rory and she doesn't even know it. Bill Nighy. A BBC show admitting that someone outside Britain has done something great. Killing a monster with an art easel. Realising the monster didn't need to die at all and wasn't actually a monster. The starry night turning into the Starry night. The ultimate Ginger.
    Loved it. :techman:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  5. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Loved it. A quiet episode, but one that did an excellent character piece about van Gogh.

The monster in general was a weak part of the story, but I liked how they dealt with its death. I also liked seeing those little references to Rory, showing he hasn't been completely forgotten.

The best bit was by far the end. I always wanted them to take someone to the future, and at least van Gogh didn't try to disprove it or anything. He just took it all in, and the speech at the end by Bill Nighy's character was moving and brilliant. Was reminiscent of Father's Day and The Unquiet Dead, but something new as well. One of the best character pieces I have seen in nuWho.

6. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was a great episode! The invisible demon was a brilliant (and budget saving :)) idea - a metaphor for Van Gogh's depression, presumably.

Having suffered from depression myself, the only doubt I have is whether taking Van Gogh to the present to see how highly regarded he is was a good idea. Self esteem building aside, if I were Van Gogh I doubt I would ever be able to paint again having heard the art critic (based on Brian Sewell?) praise my work. How could I live up to that - every brush stroke would have to be second guessed...

7. Andy S

Andy S Captain Captain

That was simply one of the best episodes of any TV drama I have ever seen! Cannot fault it at all.

8. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

who is voting this as excellent, this was dull, it was tideous, and the pay off whilst good, did not come close to making up for the Transformers style tedium that proceeded it.

They even went as far as to forget to add the monster, but even when it was inculded, it looked like a Primeval reject, im growing ever tried of this series, it makes dull episodes, and neither the Doctor nor Amy are that easy to like, just nothing specail about them, and poor CGI.

9. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Honestly, think its the only episode of nuWho that I've been unbelievably BORED watching.

10. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Respect.

11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Fantastic. Loved it. The most wonderfully affecting of character pieces with an ending that was just perfect, that made a very vital point about depression and the 'bad things' while preserving a happy ending to just the right level of corny cheesiness :D
    The Doctor and Amy were great, but were utterly upstaged by Van Gogh, perfectly cast and might actually rival my former firm favourite Shakespeare among the historical DW 'meet and greet' episodes.
    Where it did fall down was the monster of the week - The Shakespeare Code had great interaction with Will as well as having a compelling story with an interesting idea - here, the interaction was better but the story was weak. Still, I found it difficult to particularly care about that, tbh.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those people shouldn't be allowed to watch Doctor Who anymore.

13. Skellington

This.

14. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why are we worried about whether or not other people will like this episode? If you like or hate it, more power to you.

Anyway, moving on, loved the Starry Night scene and it wouldn't be Richard Curtis without the musical montage of sorts. A little sappy but it does its job. Also, nice touch for the BBC to put up a helpline during the credits, too -- that was unexpected for me.

The monster parts were a bit throwaway, and I found myself wondering halfway through if EVERY Doctor Who episode MUST have some anomalous lifeform, whereas in the very early days there were history pieces. Then again, this episode wasn't much like Doctor Who anyway, so I suppose the monster is about the only thing that would really connect it. Yep, it's a requisite.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Don't be stupid. That's GallifreyBase shit.

You and I thought it was fucking brilliant, others may prefer more visual or actiony or comedic etc etc things...

16. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Or TV in general... or live... oh that was harsh, beer did not improve my mood.

17. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Easily the most impressive episode this series. As a lifelong Van Gogh fan, as well as a sufferer of Bipolar Disorder, i found the treatment of Vincent and his illness in the episode was handled very well. It would have been all too easy to present him as a lunatic, instead it showed him for the brilliant if troubled man he was. And the ending was genuinely moving, i really can't fault the episode at all.

And i echo the sentiments that the BBC need to do a Van Gogh period piece and keep Tony Curran in the role

18. Skellington

Colour me chastised and somewhat inebriated. I found it visual, actiony enough and whimsical if not comedic, though. (Gotta love the Doctor calling the TARDIS "old girl").

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  19. Skellington

No, that was fair. ;)

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Oh good, thought it might be a bit harsh, but as long as someone else thinks it's fair I'm happy.