If You Could Re-Imagine the Constitution-Class Refit...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CuttingEdge100, Dec 5, 2008.

1. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Shaw...

Looking at Matt Jeffrey's original drawings it shows only 1.5 decks on the rim. Yet there are two rows of windows...

Aren't the saucer rims of the TOS and TMP enterprise around the same thickness?

Out of curiousity how high is the ceiling in the room depicted in (Post #57 this thread) the picture where Captain Kirk is with a blonde-haired woman looking out the window?

CuttingEdge100

2. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is another thing that the 1080' length helps out with, by the way...

If you assume that Decks 6 and 7 don't have the full 10' "filming height" but rather a more reasonable 8'4" deck height (comparable to many homes) and go with the larger scale... it's not really a stretch to have two FULL decks there (perhaps requiring just a tiny amount of tweaking of the undercut curvature?). You get, instead of one deck and another "ring deck" out there, you have two full decks, with an underslung equipment bay around the rim.

This, to me, is the only way that the "undercut" makes any engineering sense. It's not cutting into existing deckspace, it's blending between the bottom of the "plain" area of the deck-7 floor and the "underhang ring" underside.

Interestingly, this actually could sort of work with the "Abramsprise" idea... the "undercut" (which is absent from his model) was added in some later refitting.

3. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

It would be helpful to know which drawing you are talking about... Jefferies drew quite a few of them.

As for the rows of windows... these were cut into the model after it was originally built to add lighting and increase detail. The holes for the windows on the rim were limited to four spots (three corners and the bow). Those windows don't make sense as deck indicators As they are in the wrong places for any configuration.

How do I deal with it? Well in this sketch (again, none of this is new, there is a complete thread with all of this and much, much more here) I address the odd placement by putting a commons area there that is the full height of the rim where people on the upper balcony and the lower deck share the view out those windows.

[​IMG]

Deck 5 of that compartment is depicted as having 18 cabins and 8 bathrooms, deck 6 wasn't drawn, but would have had an additional 10 cabins and four bathrooms, community restroom and equipment/storage for most of the people living in that compartment (estimated 56 people).

Unless you thought I was pulling those window placements out of thin air (or you aren't taking the time to review that thread first), why ask about them?

No.

But since you brought up the outer rim of the TMP Enterprise (and I'm sure you are familiar with hull compartments of the TOS Enterprise), the outer ring of compartments were most likely replaced in full on the TMP Enterprise... meaning that they are not the original structure, which is why the saucer has a wider diameter and the rim edge is different in almost every way from the original.

The first of the two images is in the gallery over looking the hangar deck (deck 16a, that was first sketched out here and later in greater detail here), the second image would appear to be on deck 2... both are about 10 feet (give or take a little), and neither represent rim windows.

Which is fine for re-imagining how it was done. My project was to see if the Enterprise as envisioned by Jefferies worked.

... Today.

One should always take any of this with the understanding that we are hundreds of years in the past. You see no reason from an early 21st century perspective, but to someone of (Trek's) 23rd century it might seem to have a simple reason.

I would point out that in Jefferies drawings he often had a defined line (edge) where that lower section was added... it only appears as a smooth curve on the model.

And we shouldn't forget that it was your request that moved me from doing my plans off of the Jefferies construction plans to the 11 foot model. Or don't you recall this...
    Well, there is more than enough on-screen stuff to support the 947' length... so maybe you aren't as set in your ways as you thought you were. ;)

4. CuttingEdge100

Shaw,

That drawing which depicts the deck ending before reaching the window on the rim is kind of odd...

Has anyone suggested such a set-up before?

CuttingEdge100

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've seen at least 2 similar proposals. I don't see anything odd about it... the saucer has more than enough room to spare for the crew... why not give em some nice, open space?

6. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

As I pointed out before, we never saw anything in the outer rim of the saucer... at all. The cabins are based on the set design (using a different radial component for the walls). But because every compartment needs to be self-sufficient a commons area seemed like the best use of the very small area of each of the four outer rim compartments near the windows.

To answer your question, Andrew Probert suggested a similar split level rec area design for the TMP Enterprise at one point. But I hope that you aren't saying that you've never seen an indoor balcony setup before. :wtf:

The rim windows didn't work with anything seen on-screen and unlike other parts of the ship, didn't work for deck levels. Plus they cut the square holes in the top of the saucer (for replacing burned out bulbs in the model)... those worked as windows if they are used for skylights.

So the corridors opening up to a commons area seemed like a good use of space that didn't work for other stuff. You have a row of tables along the top balcony and a series of tables below all with a nice view out the windows. The skylight is above a stairwell that connects the two commons areas.

If this seems odd to you, I suggest that you might need to get out more... this is not an odd design. I've been in quite a few buildings and ships that have similar arrangements. I guess if you've never been to a city you might never have seen this before, but it is really quite common (even one of my homes as a child had a similar indoor balcony setup).

7. CuttingEdge100

Shaw,

If I recall Andrew Probert's drawing had the balcony on the window-side of the rim, not the other way... It could work I suppose either way...

It makes sense though truthfully to just use an eight foot deck height at the rim which could squeeze two decks in there, and fiddle with the position of the windows on the rim and the height of each window...

CuttingEdge100

8. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I wasn't talking about when the rec room was moved to it's later rim position, so I'm guessing you don't know what I was talking about.

Fiddle here and fiddle there, next thing you know you are no longer following Jefferies original ideas.

Lets be clear on this... for my plans, NO FIDDLING.

If you change the positions of the windows, you aren't doing the Enterprise anymore. I'm only interested in ideas that allow the ship to work within the original confines.

It is funny, most people aren't willing to spend that much time trying to figure out how to make it work... so they cheat. Change positions, change dimensions, pretty soon you have the Franz Joseph plans.

Which is fine... but that has nothing to do with what I'm working on.

9. CuttingEdge100

Shaw,

Well that's for your plans.

I don't like all of Franz Joseph's idea's but think F.J. did get one thing right with some of his drawings in that he moved the windows higher up on the rim.

CuttingEdge100

10. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's nothing to assume. It will be appearing 'on screen' which um makes it so...

None of us are the deciders of such, thankfully.

Sharr

11. CuttingEdge100

Sharr Khan,

Still, JJ Abram's Enterprise is obviously quite a bastardization of the original TOS Enterprise...

12. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

True... and I would be happy to defer to yours (or anyone else's) illustrations on this for the discussion if you are (or anyone else is) willing to share them with us.

Usually what we have is a lot of talk, but people don't take the next step to actually show that what they are saying works (and how). My sketches at least illustrate my ideas in a way that others can study, comment on and use (if they would like).

Granted, there are people (Cary, aridas, Warped9 and April are good examples) who I know well enough to trust their ideas without always needing it illustrated, but they have taken the time in the past to provide us with illustrated examples of their work too.

I would be happy to see your ideas fleshed out. And if you are worried about using some of the other illustrations of the Enterprise (such as Sinclair's or Casimiro's work) as a starting point, I offer any of my sketches to you. I have provided most of my work under a share-and-share-alike license to help others express their ideas on this subject.

13. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus, in the event of an attack, and subsequent failure of the shields, wouldn't you rather have something relatively nonessential on the outer rim, like a gymnasium, rec room, or, dare I say it, bowling alley, than crew quarters?

14. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

Something I whipped up, a better JJverse Connie refit:

[​IMG]

15. CuttingEdge100

Shaw,

I should inform you that I'm not the best artist in the world but with proper diagrams and such I should be able to do okay.

That I wouldn't mind.

Out of curiousity are your drawings of the TOS Constitution true to the TV-model?

CuttingEdge100

16. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Wow, love the BOP! It really does fit into the new style.

17. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

Well, in that case, either you're going to LOVE or hate my update to it. I changed the nacelles a bit to resemble those of ENT, I still am not happy with them, I liked the curvature of my first ones, but like the agressiveness of the new ones. Also, added some wing detail.

Oh, and I made the refit's nacelle pylon bigger, I always thought TMP's Ent had too thin plyons. Now they are kind like the Sovereign's, but I like 'em.

[​IMG]
    http://johnnymuffintop.deviantart.com/art/JJverse-Ship-Concepts-2-108232387

I think I might go back to the old nacelles, I REALLY have no clue what I want for the nacelles.
    Oh... and in expanding my newest Romulan design, I figured I'd take it even a step further:
    [​IMG]
    http://johnnymuffintop.deviantart.com/art/Too-Strange-Romulan-design-108241284

Oh, and they aren't to scale, I'm waiting to do that until I finalize my concepts.

Further updating:
    I've finished my BoP, and rather pleased with it.
    [​IMG]
    http://johnnymuffintop.deviantart.com/art/Final-JJverse-Romulan-ship-108246295

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  18. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't worry too much about looking perfect... it is the ideas that really matter.

Well. it depends on which model we are talking about. The publicly available version of my 33 inch model plans are pretty accurate (though that version has a couple mistakes on my part).

As for the 11 foot model, it is getting there. The primary and secondary hulls used in my sketches are pretty accurate... though I recently finished a better sketch of the primary hull that is even closer to the original.

What I plan on releasing in the near future is a set of plans of the 11 foot model as she was when originally delivered for the first pilot's effects filming... with very accurate measurements (and the drawing at 1/4 scale to the model). Those plans (like my 33 inch plans) will be of the model itself, not the fictional starship. As such, they can be used for anyone's projects that want to use the models form as a starting point.

That is all part of a project that I've been working towards for a while now... with two of the three parts (the 1964 Jefferies Construction Plans and the 33 inch Model Plans) essentially finished at his point.

19. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

At which point, I essentially start over from scratch.

20. CuttingEdge100

Shaw,

Thank you for the diagrams. I'd like to see that 11-footer when you plan to release it

BTW: It's kind of ironic that the 33-incher that you show only has one set of windows mounted high up on the rim...