Young Justice, Green Lantern return January 5th

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, there's not that much distinction between Cartoon Network and Warner Bros. Animation these days.

Well, like I said, maybe budget has something to do with it. YJ and GL seem to be more lavish productions. The more expensive a show is to make, the harder it is to keep it on the air. But that's just speculation.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are SBT and SS based on preexisting properties? I'm thinking they probably owe DC a fair amount for the properties.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know in the case of Titan that it has been said to have been cancelled due to lack of merchandise so I don't think it's as simple as YJ costing more.

5. Christopher

No. Sym-Bionic Titan was an original creation of Genndy Tartakovsky (creator of Dexter's Laboratory and Samurai Jack and director of the 2D Star Wars: Clone Wars "microseries"), and The Secret Saturdays was a Jonny Quest-inspired adventure series created by Canadian animator Jay Stephens.

So yeah, you may be right. Even though Cartoon Network, Warner Bros. Animation, and DC Entertainment are all under the same corporate umbrella, the network would still have to pay DC for the license to the comics characters, which would make those shows more expensive than their originals.

Of course, both Titan and Saturdays have also been cancelled, the former lasting one season and the latter running for two. So those aren't the best comparisons.

The best-performing property on CN these days seems to be the Ben 10 franchise, which was an original creation but is also a merchandising juggernaut.

6. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, at the end of the day I'm glad we got to see two seasons of Young Justice; and it would seem that YJ will ultimately get better treatment than Generator Rex.

But if indications hold (with both YJ and GL cancelled), it would look like Beware the Batman and Tiny Teen Titans will be paired for DC Nation phase two. That assumes that even DC Nation itself will survive.

7. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Does anyone know if there's an y plans to release the DC Nation Shorts on DVD? I'd be into that.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Well its back.

How long its back is the real question....

Watching Green Lantern reminds me what a real tragedy it would be if it a YJ get canceled. The shows are so good, and much better than most of the stuff on CN.

10. Legolas

Legolas Commodore Commodore

Wow..its been awhile..anyway

Excellent news about Young Justice. It started off kinda "meh" especially while i was comparing it to Gargoyles, but ive fallen in love. Glad its back!

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I know I said this back in October, but this was a kickass episode. So glad to have Young Justice (and Green Lantern, though I don't watch myself) on the air!

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Argh........! DirecTV did not have these episodes listed as new so they weren't recorded on my DVR this morning. Good thing Cartoon Network repeats them Sunday morning.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I had to manually set mine to record too.

14. Christopher

Hm, interesting. My DVR did record them automatically. (Plus I actually watched them live. Radical, I know, but...)

15. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

So on Green Lantern....

that the Steam Lantern world is in the same dimension as Earth 2? Given that Hal has never heard of a lantern with a cape, Alan would have to be from a parallel Earth.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^I hope not. I get the impression that nothing much is left of that universe.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was thinking of Alan Scott too, but the implication from Hal dialogue was that the GL was from our universe, but traveled to the steam world and then came back.
    As for the episodes, I thought they were both great. Lots of very interesting developments in YL.
    A fun and interesting fact for Underworld fans, Black Beetle was voiced by Kevin Grevioux, who co-created the UW franchise and played the Lycan Raze in the 1st and 3rd movies.

18. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did love both episodes. I liked the subtle reference to Alan Scott in "Steam Lantern" and I'm glad they at least used a different Earth in their arc with the Anti-Monitor. I doubt we'll see a full-fledged "Crisis" storyline, which is fine, but it was a nice nod, nonetheless.

YJ was good, it just suffered, moreso than GL from the break between episodes.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I wish they were using the Dominion from the original Invasion storyline instead of The Reach.

20. Christopher

I don't think they ever said it was a version of Earth. I was figuring it was more like one of those cartoon/comics/'60s-SFTV alien worlds that just coincidentally happen to duplicate a historical Earth culture or a variation thereon.