Europa Report (2013) Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Sep 9, 2011.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

script stage in pre-production
    Deadline source

How cool is that? A film about astronauts on a mission to a planet's moon in our solar system!? We haven't seen anything like this at all since Moon (2009) or those 2000 films Mission to Mars & Red Planet.
    An actual space bound & planet-landing movie! Woo hoo!

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Re: "Europa" a [contemporary space adventure] in dev.

[Pedantic nitpick] Since when was Europa Jupiter's fourth satellite? I hope they did a little more research than that. It was the second Jovian satellite discovered by Galileo and is the sixth known in increasing order of average distance from Jupiter. [/Pedantic nitpick]

ETA: So, any speculations about how the movie will be distinguishable from 2010: The Year We Make Contact?

3. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

This is intriguing. It doesn't really tells us what happens on Europa though does it? Could be aliens, could be metaphysical mumbo-jumbo ala 2001, could be a horror film like Apollo 18, or it could be a realistic depiction of a scientific expedition (wait, this is Hollywood, no chance of that). Anyway, excited but the execution is going to be an important factor. What are they trying to do with the story?

4. jefferiestubes8

To be honest it would have more to do with Clarke's 3rd book in the 2001 series: 2061: Odyssey Three (published 1987) in which
    a ship is landed on Europa
    in the film 2010: The Year We Make Contact no astronauts actually land on the moon.

I'm sure it will be a solid surfaced moon for the "Europa" film in development.

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I mean, Europa is admittedly pretty small, but there's room for more than just Arthur Clarke on it.

I liked Mission to Mars (the scene with Robbins and Nielsen set to Van Halen's "Dance" = one of the greatest moments in cinema history). But everyone else seemed to hate it. I think I have an idiosyncratic taste in films.

ETA: seriously, that first tracking shot! Brian de Palma rules you.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  6. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dismissed MtM first time I saw it. Got a cheap copy on DVD, watched again, totally changed my opinion. LOVE it and put it in my pantheon of "realistic" space travel movies. And yeah, that dance scene owned me.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

My money is on either a giant ice squid, mind controlling bacteria or some mysterious artefact.

8. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

It's starring the fooker from District 9? I'm in.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

In the book 2010, the Chinese landed on Europa, to their misfortune.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Woo hoo! An actual Science Fiction film? :bolian:

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

11. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Looking forward to when ever it screens here.

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Quite. Europa's the one place most speculated or suggested to possibly have some sort of life (like, bacterial, but life hooray!) and as such has a kind of magnetic appeal for sci-fi. To the extent there's still somewhere in the solar system we can project our fatanasies, the rest of it having been scoured and found quite dead, Europa is as somewhat plausible as it gets.

...idiosyncratic is right.

13. FluffyUnbound

FluffyUnbound Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll watch it. As long as it's not space horror. Space horror is played out.

I like that Copley is in it.

I don't consider 2001 to be metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. It's all sci-fi in the end sequence; Kubrick just doesn't explain any of it. But Clarke did in the book.

14. FluffyUnbound

FluffyUnbound Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I vastly prefer Red Planet.

OK, the terraforming plot twist is a little absurd, but it's nice that the big twist was a "science" twist. And the whole plot revolves around an engineering queston ("How many guys can we fit on our improvised rocket?"). I think it's underappreciated.

Edited to say: If only they had not included the "Oh no our robot is crazy" silly subplot. And also to correct title.

15. jefferiestubes8

‘The Europa Report’ Viral is Launched Along With A Photo
    Feb 11th, 2012

And 2 images!
    http://www.movieviral.com/2012/02/11/the-europa-report-viral-is-launched-along-with-a-photo/

via
    First Look at Sharlto Copley in Sci-Fi Film The Europa Report
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=86922

How cool are those images!

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Looks good. I hope what they find on Europa is interesting, and not just an alien invasion or something.

17. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Probably some kind of alien (Europaean?) killer-bacteria. As long as the rest looks as good as these pictures suggest, I'm cool with that.

18. TeknoNurd

TeknoNurd Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Defying Gravity was contemporary space travel through the solar system, and I think it was cancelled before they got much of anywhere.

19. jefferiestubes8

comtemporary space-set TV

Yes it was the most contemporary take on a scifi show set in space. The TrekBBS community did not like it as the show dumbed down the science and was trying to bring different audiences to that show.
    The series was pitched to networks as "Grey's Anatomy in space". by
    It attempted to bring a 18-34 female audience to a sci-fi soap opera and the soap opera turned off most scifi fans. Not a good mix.
    I was glad to see a major broadcast network do a scifi show set in space. It was a co-production and aired internationally. It will not be the last show set on a spaceship or space station.
    I really liked the production design and costumes. It had a good amount of flashback scenes set on Earth though which while necessary for a first season I don't think would be necessary for future seasons. I think due to the cost of building sets for this type of movie genre the ship sets should be reused for another TV show in development to keep pilot costs down. Of course it may hurt a movie sequel.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Re: comtemporary space-set TV

^On a similar note to that. If you want to see what's left of the sets from "Mission to Mars", they were used to "dress" the entrance to the Rocket to Mars ride at Epcot.