Chakotay was in Starfleet for twenty years before the series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by DS9forever, Aug 24, 2013.

1. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I think she saw something in him, especially when he wanted to go down there to help Harry

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always chalked that one up to good old fashioned nepotism being she was buddies with his dad.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Depending how messy Kathryn and Owen were... Tom was her brother or son.

But Owen was certainly her fatherinlaw after she hatched those lizards.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Tom... I am your mother!!!!"

"NOOOOOOOO!!!! That's impossible!"

:p

5. Guy Gardener

Figuratively his sister or mother.

(Kathryn could have donated an egg?)

The girl science officer emotionally distant from her own family?

There's no way she wasn't invited to a couple Paris family dinners.

If it wasn't for what was said in the pilot, you know canon, arguments could be made that she knew him as a child. Arguments could also be made that Tom Paris is still a child.

There's a line in the miniseries about alien abduction "Taken", where the snot nose girl from Blair Witch and Max headroom finally start frakking, despite a 25 year age difference and that he's her fathers best friend and subordinate.

Max "I've wanted to do this since you turned 18."

Blair witch girl: "Really? I've wanted to do you since I was 10."

6. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

This is a fairly well known trope in Fan Fiction Land. Most often Tom is her son, but sometimes he is her brother.

7. Guy Gardener

If Luke and Leia had kids, before they figured out who they were to each other, would those inbred (Royalty and a hillbilly? Is it only the middle classes that look for nookie outside their familial group?) children would be extremely powerful force users?

Maybe that's why Jedi are not allowed to fall in love, because they're not allowed to breed becuase second generation jedi are too powerful to avoid courruption to the darkside?

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They are not allowed to fall in love because the Jedi hierarchy were invested in being fascist control freaks and running a system first, with people second. Also why Jedi children were not allowed their own mothers from very young ages.

As to Tom being Janeway's son.. what did she give him away when she was a teenager? Surely in the enlightened future a teenager can keep their child with plenty of childcare available and whatnot since there is no money.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

She didn't want the infant mewling and puking in her arms. Gets in the way of the career path.

10. teacake

That's my point though, it's the FUTURE, there are holo-nannys. In the books B'Elanna gets a Klingon holo-nanny that can kick ass and read bed time stories. So you should be able to have a kid as a teenager and continue your starfleet career with your kid being cared for at home with the only requirement being home holo-emitters. Which would be very bad if your electricity went off but once again, it's the future. And because everyone is so enlightened no one is going to look down on you because you presumptuously reproduced in youth.

AND! You don't even have to go through the horribleness of pregnancy, you can get the baby beamed out and into a surrogate, maybe even a robotic surrogate that walks around and sneezes and farts and totally simulates growing inside a real human being.

11. Guy Gardener

John Snow.

I understand that this is common in the real world too.

Take no shit Women raising the bastard illegitimate spawn of there idiot philandering husbands, as if they were their own.

12. teacake

She wasn't very nice to Jon Snow. She provided for him but I wouldn't say she raised him, his father was the one that put all the teaching and parenting into him.

13. Melakon

Okay, I'm not a father, so let me see if I understand this:

In the future of Star Trek: The Teacake Generation, the 24th century is a validation of the positive effects of absentee parenting?

14. teacake

Absolutely. "We work to better ourselves." Notice Picard doesn't say we work to better or benefit others.

And ya know, if you didn't like nannys you could just get a holo-nanny of yourself! And Daddy too! And the kid would be like 10 years old before they realized that the people they spent 95% of their time with were not real.

15. Melakon

While you take oodles of holidays on Risa!

16. Guy Gardener

I felt that "Ourselves" meant the Federation, and to a lesser extent humanity.

Did she raise Theon Greyjoy as her own?

;)

There are several levels of commitment to her parenting.

When the kids were in trouble, it was all completely about how their brother Jon would save them.

That wasn't Catelyn was it?

Emilia Clarke was in Futurama tonight.

17. Guy Gardener

Holograms were not usable as a servant (slave) class until 2364.

And still that functionality comes into question when you figure how pathetic the super holograms where from before the Bynars did their tinkering... Even if the love sick monkey couldn't get Minuete to be all foxy again.

Of course, anyone who believe in the interconnectedness of all fictional things, has to wonder if there was yet another fantastic leap in Holotechnology after the Moriarty Program was dissected and reduced to a personalitless utility function.

Holonanies are new.

We haven't seen the generation of humans produced by holonanies exit the academy yet.

18. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^but how is it remotely possible to get pregnant in the 24th century....unless you really want to get pregnant

And so presumably if you want to have a baby, you would want to raise it yourself (especially in a culture where people do things to better themsleves) unless in the future, having children is simply a matter of sustaining a species and that kind of parenting has been abandoned (and people like Tom and B'lana who want to raise a family are actually an anomolous sub culture)

Then again, why would anyone get married, have children in a world of holo-technology...am i the only one that would spend all day in the holosuite with a group of teen vulcans that love anal....maybe the holosuite experience is similar to synth ale though....good but not quite as good as the real thing?...that's never been established though

19. teacake

This is like how a hundred years ago people opined how we hadn't seen the effects of television as a nanny yet. And now they opine as to how we haven't seen the effects of the plugged into the net babysitting yet.

They'll be fine. They'll be BETTER because the holonannys will make them do stuff their parents programmed them to make the kids do.

As to Catelyn.. her parenting pretty much ends with a male child as soon as he is old enough to train with swords and men. How well she may have loved either young Theon or Jon Snow we don't see, but we do we hear that they were lesser children of the house, and we know she resented Snow.

20. teacake

Sisko and Kasidy had an ACCIDENT!

So, no. Happens.
    This has always been my fondest dream.