DOS Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Owain Taggart, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, now I think about it, I think we've had this conversation here before, too. :lol:

I noticed Panzer General as one of the games in the screenshot challenge, which reminded me of another game I used to play but can't remember what it was called. I'd like to find it on GOG or maybe some abandonware site, because it's not graphics-dependent, so should still be a lot of fun today.

It's a top-down, hex-grid, turn-based strategy game, similar to Panzer General in broad concept I suppose, but where one side is red and the other is blue, rather than specific sides in a real war. You have the usual mix of tanks, infantry, artillery, etc and the board you play on has various capture & hold type towns. Gameplay is divided into the usual mix of movement, attack, defence, etc, but IIRC you had two phases of attack & defence each round (one active, one reactionary). There was a placement phase before the game-proper began, and you had an overall budget from which to select your pieces from before placement. I'm pretty sure that it must have been a boardgame adaptation. Or, at least, it was very heavily boardgame-influenced in feel.

Anyone know what game this was, please?

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was it The Perfect General from QQP?

[​IMG]

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's the one! Great call identifying it, thanks! :techman:

Found it on an abandonware site, so I'll give it a whirl again when I get a chance. Thanks again.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're welcome. I just happened to know what you were talking about. My friends and I played the fuck out of it against each other. It's a brilliant game. Too bad the AI isn't really challenging in the end, but it can still be fun playing against the computer.

That screen shot there is part of one of my setups against the computer in "Patton Kicks Butt", the Battle of the Bulge scenario, on the German side, obviously.

6. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

29/50 And i would have gotten higher had I gone with my gut.