Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I think he was just some magic super-villain wanna-be.

2. Turtletrekker

OK, first we had the cover to Secret Avengers 27 depicting the return of Captain Mar-Vell. Rick Remender has apparently even tweeted that this is indeed the real-deal Mar-vell appearing here. (Although, we have all heard that before).

Now Marvel is teasing a new Captain Marvel book starting in July, which would seem to confirm this.

However, Bleeding Cool is reporting that the new Captain Marvel will actually be the former Ms. Marvel, Carol Danvers as written by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

On one hand, Mar-Vell's death is one that I think should left alone for a variety of reasons. But then, I once thought the same thing about Bucky, and that only served to show me that with the right take from the right writer, anything is possible.

Then again, if it's Carol, I think that it's cool that she will be taking on the mantle as her own, as she has certainly more than earned it. Hell, at this point, she has probably appeared in many more comics than Mar-Vell ever did, so there really is zero reason for her not to take the "franchise" name rather than a legacy name. And it honors Mar-Vell while also bringing growth to Carol's own journey. I just wonder how Marvel thinks that this book will do better than the last Ms. Marvel book, which, IIRC, was pretty consistently on the cusp of cancellation before folding at #50 (And I do realize that a 50 issue run is nothing to sneeze at nowadays). Could making her "Captain" Marvel instead of "Ms." really have that profound of an effect on promotion and sales?

ETA: BTW, Whatever happened to Hermiod? I would love to hear what he thinks about this.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Captain Marvel book has been teased since last Summer at SDCC I believe, not sure what to think about Carol being renamed Captain Marvel. I like the writer though...

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i thought Rick Remender confirmed it was actually Mar-Vell a few weeks back?

5. Admiral_Young

I believe that was the case. This seems to be a separate thing.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

He'll be promoted to Major Marvel after Carol becomes Captain. :D

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonder if Marvel'll chicken out like last time when they brought him back and then claimed he was a Skrull.

8. Turtletrekker

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hopefully the next iteration of the Thunderbolts has some bigger names on it. I loved the immediate post-Siege team with Luke Cage, Crossbones, Juggernaut, Moonstone, Man-Thing, and with the great art.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just coming to comment or post this link!!! :techman:

I am indeed stoked to see what Marvel delivers as there hasn't been an ongoing Man-Thing series since 1998's Strange Tales series, that only went 8 issues. Any chance this new one, if it's an ongoing, will last 12 at least??

I feel buying T-Bolts just for Manny, Fearsome Foursome etc have some how paid off!!(it's a fun delusion anyway).

Now that transformation/evolution he's been undergoing in T-Bolts via Satana's prodding what will that give us? Will he once again have some rudimentary telepathy skills?

The comic gods giveth to me this and taketh from me Ghost Rider and Moon Knight. I need balance where is Blade's ongoing!! ;)

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Time for the return of the NIGHTSTALKERS?!

12. Admiral_Young

I'd like to see a proper Blade ongoing. Think the last time he was used was during Curse of the Mutants, and Mark Millar used him in Ultimates as well during that vampire story line.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Avengers #24 well, that was a shockingly quick ending. pretty disappointing. also, the lamest possible Osborn explanation.

Avengers Assemble #1 lame villains. still, it's nice to see Cap Thor Iron Man on the same panel. they've barely shown that since Siege (and thusly, since 2004!).

14. Admiral_Young

Avengers #24: Rao damn it Bendis!!!! I knew this was going to happen, I agree with Mr. Light. Some bull shit cop out lame plot device to describe Osborn, Norman's plan collapses because he goes nutso and goes overboard on the Super Adaptoid thing. Hydra essentially picks up all the pieces and is stronger than ever. This turned out to be bleh...should have foreseen that. Avengers Vs X-Men is next though...and I guess the Age of Ulton is going to be after? Or perhaps a separate event? Sigh. This is what I get for being teased....lol.

15. Turtletrekker

Fantasic Four 604-- I think that I'm going to have to re-read this one (possibly multiple times) in order to take all of it in. The wrap-up of Hickman's epic was worth the three years that it took to tell. I'm glad that he still has a few arcs left in him, but if this had been his swan-song, it would have been an extremely satisfying one. I like the full-circle aspect of the epilogue.

Avengers 24-- Meh. I have not been a fan of this arc, and the conclusion didn't do anything to revise that opinion. New Avengers has been a little better, and I hope that their Osborn wrap-up issue will be better.

X-Men: Legacy 264-- The wrap up of the Exodus arc was very enjoyable. Rogue seems to be the only one with a shred of common sense amongnst the X-factions regarding the schism (also in Avengers: Children's Crusade 9 regarding the Scarlet Witch) and I like that they are showing that Wolverine is being as pig-headed, stubborn and narrow-minded in his course of action as Cyclops has ever been in his.

Avengers Assemble 1-- Ironic for the first issue of a book called "Avengers Assemble", that this books particular team of Avengers never appears assembled in this issue. :lol: Another example of Bendis' de-compressed story-telling. But, at least all of this books team members did at least appear in the issue, if not on the same page- unlike Justice League #1 or even Bendis' own New Avengers 1.

Journey Into Mystery 635 -- Kid Loki's adventures continue to be a joy to read, and his interactions with Leah and Hellstrom here are fun. I like how Loki cannot help but be Loki, even when his intentions are good. I hope that someday when "Loki Classic" is restored (and you know that it will happen some day) , they find a way to keep this new incarnation around as well.

Captain America 9 -- An OK issue made above average by the Alan Davis art. Just not a fan of the "Cap de-powered" storyline.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, also Avengers #24 completely spoils the ending of the New Avengers side of the story... and that hasn't shipped yet :p

17. Turtletrekker

Yeah, I noticed that too. WTF? The last two issues of each book shipped on the same day.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that annoyed me. I'd rather get my Avengers fix every two weeks, rather than a double dose once a month!

19. Turtletrekker

Hey, Captain Craig! New Man-Thing graphic novel! :lol:

Wow. By the late, great, Steve Gerber and Kevin Nowlan? Count me in! :techman:

20. Turtletrekker

Actually, between Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Academy, Avengers Assemble (for the first arc at least), Secret Avengers during AvX, not to mention AvX itself and that movie everyone keeps talking about, an Avengers fix is not going to be a problem for me anytime soon. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012