is Yoda a telepath?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OverJoyJackson, Sep 23, 2011.

1. OverJoyJackson

OverJoyJackson Lieutenant Junior Grade

I only ask this because it was a throw-away line on Hawaii Five-0 this week. The conclusion they came to was that he isn't a telepath. But in the Empire Strikes Back, when Luke uses "the force" to see into the future, he tells Yoda that his friends (Han and the others on Cloud City) are in danger. Yoda closes his eyes, as if to see into the future, and agrees. Now, how exactly did Yoda know who to "look for", in his vision of the future, without reading Luke's mind to know who Luke was thinking about?

As for the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Bluray? I don't really care if they are edits or not. I like the fact that they just look so good on my Sony 240HZ HDTV. The colors are so much richer, and the print is so clean, it looks like it was released this year.

2. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When people develop close bonds, their friendochlorians emit a subspace frequency that is in harmony. So Yoda just had to reach out with the Force, feel Luke's friendochlorian frequency, feel around for other friendochlorian frequencies that matched that, then check to see if there were danger ripples or safe ripples around them. So, no, he's not a telepath.

3. OverJoyJackson

LOL. Friendochorians. That was actually pretty funny.

4. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was that good touch or bad touch?

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

it's called 'precognition'.

6. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Prescience - something else Lucas "borrowed" from Dune.

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

If he is a teep, it's part of the Jedi package. Remember in Return of the Jedi, Vader was able to read Luke's mind to find out that he had a sister.

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Do you get the Discovery channel in the Jedi package?

9. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

It's implied that Jedi can read minds. During the test they gave Anakin in TPM, and then later in that scene when Yoda says "See through you we can" and they knew that he missed his mom.

10. OverJoyJackson

I totally forgot about that. I can use that in my argument with my friend that he (Yoda, not my friend) is a telepath. Thanks.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

"These aren't the droids you're looking for" where Obi-wan influences a storm troopers mind, could be another example of telepathy

12. Asbo Zaprudder

That's more akin to the voice used by the Bene Gesserit in "Dune".

13. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe if you look at the script for Empire, your question is answered.
    I don't know why these lines were never recorded. I think Frank Oz was sick that day, or something.

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Throw in the end of ESB with Luke calling Leia for help and Vader reaching out to Luke as they are waiting for R2 to fix the Falcon's hyperdrive during their escape.

15. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    I get that Palpatine clouds everything around him, so that Yoda can't look into his mind and then say, "A Sith Lord you are....you hole of an ass!". But if Palps clouds things, why can't Yoda (or any other Jedi) see the cloud? Think of a Betazoid. If she can't read a Ferengi or an android or a hologram, she KNOWS she can't read them. Why doesn't Yoda (or anyone else!!) KNOW that he can't look into Palpatine's mind? What, every time he tries, he gets brain fog, and says, "About to do, what was I? Oh, yes...my syntax improvement lessons I was about to attend...", maybe? Doesn't ring true. If Palps could do that, why not just make them all forget that they shouldn't step into an open lava pit or forget which way to point their sabers when turning them on?

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

they do know the Force is clouded, they just don't know the source of the clouding of the Force. they say at least once a prequel that the Force is clouded by the Dark Side.

17. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I think it's pretty clear that the Jedi can see into the future and manipulate minds, but I alsothink that the future is not set in stone and can be cloudy when the dark side either interferes or is involved in some way. I also believe that maybe only strong force users have this ability.

18. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, given we know the Force "connects all living things", it is conceivable the Force told Yoda who to look for. Or maybe he saw Luke's future and didn't see any indication that Luke found out Han and Leia died.

Either way, he doesn't give much of an answer, which I believe was meant to cause tension for the audience as we wouldn't know of Han and Leia were going to die.

After all, if Yoda really could sense the future, wouldn't he know about the rise of the Empire before it happened? In the prequel films, he seems to have had no idea this was going to occur.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

There is no "future" per se.

There are possible futures.

"Always in motion is the future."

20. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Yes.