Rise Of The Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gingerbread Demon, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

First off I bought the 2013 game and for the most part I liked it.

I'm keen to see what others think of the new game. Has anyone actually played it yet?

I am surprised (not really) that every single review is glowing and positive. What not one single bit of criticism? No one has picked any faults with this game?

Wow a perfect game I will be shocked.

I am yet to find a review that is brave enough to pick holes or make any kind of criticism of the game. Why is this?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Access.

The gaming sites would lose access to game companies (info, review copies) if they pick the games apart the way some deserve to be. Especially, big releases.

3. Gingerbread Demon

So gamergate is right in part then, there's no ethical journalism

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's certainly clear that some sites like to spin reviews (particularly of the triple-A persuasion) towards the positive when it's probably not entirely warranted and I believe some publishers have been caught out trying to control the content of reviews. But I think it's a bit of a leap to claim that they're *all* in on it.

The youtube scene is probably where you're going to get the best results as they don't *need* to be in with the publishers to do their jobs. It's just a matter of finding a few content creators you trust to be honest and who's opinions and tastes you have a reasonable handle on so you can gauge their opinion against what you're liable to like or dislike.

Anyway, as for the new Tomb Raider, the reception for the last one seemed more or less the same and I rather enjoyed it (I know some long time fans hated it with a passion) so I'm reasonably confident this will be more of the same sort of thing, taken to the next level.

5. Gingerbread Demon

I'd consider myself a long term fan and I liked the 2013 version. And there is a Windows version so I'm happy

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm boycotting this game purely on its shit title.

7. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

Eurogamer's review ain't exactly positive. The game didn't even garner a recommended seal.

In any case, the game seems to be "more of the same but better" which is fine by me! I enjoyed the previous one a great deal!

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shazam!'s Boycott Rises: Rise of The Boycott

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It really is a terrible title, though.

10. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I'm sure there are people who will enjoy it, but my Lara Croft is gone.
    But hey, everything changes. Life goes on. Anyway, I have the older adventures. Tomb Raider Trilogy. :) Heh... I even have TR 3 for PS1.

Besides, I don't have any immediate plans to own an Xbox One, so ... :)

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Interesting or clever titles have never been a distinguishing feature of the TR franchise. The first two sequels were just numbers, then it was 'The Last Revelation' which won the "Neverending Story Award for Misleading Titles", followed by 'Chronicles', 'Legend', 'Anniversary', 'Underworld' and of course 'Tomb Raider', not to be confused with the indistinguishably titled 'Tomb Raider'. Nothing terribly interesting title wise, but all fairly functional.

Yeah I skipped over 'Angel of Darkness' since it's actually a halfway interesting title...somewhat let down by being a load of old tosh.

As for the new game's title...I can take it or leave it. Again, it does the job and since they're basically doing a Nolan-esq gritty/grounded re-imagining of a character's origin story, I choose to take it as a bot of a self conscious jibe.

12. Gingerbread Demon

I wonder if it will be loaded with shitty QTE events. Such a lazy mechanic...

Can't be worse then Ubicrap and some of the stuff they release. I got sucked in and purchased "The Crew" and it's a game that has single player but even that needs the game to be online all the time or you lose any progress. Even in the single player campaign.

Wow epic brainfart design there. It's billed as a "racing MMO" so yeah I get that it needs to be online but surely the single player bit could have had a switch . It would not have been that hard to do bloody wankers.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The Dark Knight Rises...Rise of the Planet of the Apes...Rise of the Tomb Raider... I was half expecting the new SW movie to be Rise of the Force.

I dunno. I just think it sounds dumb.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

QTE's can work well if used properly. Though they started out as somewhat modernised adventure games in the Lucasarts mould, most current Telltale games since Walking Dead have become pretty much a series of conversation trees punctuated by QTE's and it works *great*.

The QTE's in the previous TR game are a bit of an oddity as it felt like 75% of them are all in the first 10 mins of gameplay. It's an effective way to bring a certain vulnerable desperation to what's already a pretty scary introduction and they game doesn't lean on it once you escape that first cave and the world starts to open up.

Meh. I've heard dumber.
    Would you prefer "Tomb Raider 2: Tomb Raidyer"? "The Tomb Raider Strike Back"? Or perhaps "Lara Croft and The Last Tomb Raider's Supernatural Religious Mcguffin of Doom"?

Also, you forgot 'Rise of the Guardians'. ;)

15. Gingerbread Demon

Ha!!!!!! I love that.

16. martok2112

This just in: "McDonald's being sued for false advertising in introducing their latest breakfast product... the Egg McGuffin." :D

17. Gingerbread Demon

If only..

Actually I love the breakfast menu. I love bacon + egg mcmuffins

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Nope.

19. martok2112

Yeah, their breakfasts aren't really bad at all. :)

20. Gingerbread Demon

You know in place of QTE events why not just let the player perform the action like in any other game?