NHL Season Discussion - 2013/14

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Danny99, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

2. pineiskirk

pineiskirk Ensign Newbie

the devils are playing well in preseason .

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It seems like this preseason has been a lot more active than preseasons of the past. Maybe it's all the new rules or something but it's actually been entertaining.

4. Danny99

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=683891&navid=nhl:topheads

I'm glad to see the Buffalo coach received a fine for sending his goon out to fight. I'm hoping this will set some kind of precedent against staged fighting. As much as I believe fighting is a part of the game, you need to take out this honor code bullshit before someone gets seriously hurt.

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

The season has really snuck up on me. They just don't have the hockey coverage here like they do in Canada.

6. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

The Patrick Roy era is off to a great start in Colorado

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxW_n8keVPg&sns=em[/yt]

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

When the Avs go to Detroit, I hope the Red Wings put Mike Vernon and Darren McCarty right behind the Colorado bench.

Preferably with a gigantic Statue of Liberty model.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Plexiglass ain't what it used to be.

9. Danny99

Got to love Boudreau calling it "bush league." This from a has-been coach who made headlines swearing at his players on HBO. This is nothing but good, especially for Colorado, who has suffered through horrendous teams since their glory days.

Here we go with the fighting debate again. This rears it's head again and again and I'm sick of media outlets making players sound like victims, how the management "forces" them to be fighters. Uh, yeah, you tell that to a guy like Colton Orr or George Parros or other enforcers who wouldn't have an NHL career without it.

The rules the NHL have tried to institute to make it "safer" like making them keep their helmets on is just stupid. You want to limit staged fights? Give a player five to seven fights and then they are suspended and fined, both in escalating severity for every fight afterwards. This doesn't eliminate fighting, but it eliminates the staged fighting and makes fighters pick their spots.

If they are going to limit or remove fighting, the NHL will have to be more than vigilant in punishing cheap shot artists like Kaleta and Cooke. Some people might roll their eyes, but those kinds of players will run wild without any policing.

10. Danny99

Six games in and who would've thought the top ten in the league would include Toronto, Calgary, Phoenix, and Colorado?

11. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Question: I just started to get back into hockey about two years ago. With being in the Army and being overseas ALOT I just kind of lost track of it (they do show hockey on AFN but not all the time).

So my question is: do the seasons always start so soon after the end of the last season? I know last year there was the lockout which caused the season to start late, but it just seems like I was just watching the Stanley Cup games a few months ago! Granted, I'm still in Afghanistan so that kind of dregs my sense of time.

Back in 2012 I did get to go to a Florida v. Carolina game while stationed at Ft. Bragg thanks to Military Appreciation Night. The game was fun, but the seats were uncomfortable (no leg room) and had an annoying drunk behind us yelling "Dig in!" all the time...he even admitted he knew nothing of hockey LOL

I do go to the local Fayetteville Fireantz games and went to the Augusta Lynx games when I was stationed at Ft. Gordon. Overall, those games are always alot of fun.

12. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah seasons always start around October 1st.

13. Danny99

So either Patrick Roy is an exceptional coach or Joe Sacco was just a brutal coach?

14. tomalak301

Probably a combination of each and the Avs look to be overachieving. It's a good run but I'm not sure how much longer it can be sustained.

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed, it's not gonna last.

16. Danny99

So am I totally wrong in asking why the union hasn't come down on Patrick Kaleta internally? I understand they are a union, but its one member as a potential health risk to the rest. One would think someone in the union would sit him down and tell him to stop.

Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov is accused of domestic assault and kidnapping with regards to his girlfriend. Didn't see that one coming.

17. Danny99

Florida fires their entire coaching staff, but were they really the problem?

18. Danny99

Has the season been that boring or are there just no hockey fans on the BBS?

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Tonight the Habs came to play and exacted some payback. Except for a blip at the end of the second period the Habs played a pretty solid game and took it to the Leafs who went DOWN 4-2.

20. tomalak301

There's not as many fans here as there were before. I've been enjoying this season (The Sharks just swept a 5 game homestand) and I'm really loving watching the Western Conference bring out the best in each other. Brent Burns is a beast among men, that Hattrick he had against the Blues was awesome, but I get the sense posters on this board really don't care about that. Still, San Jose is a fun team to watch this year.