The Life And Scandalous Times Of John Nathan-Turner

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Mar 10, 2013.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The difference being that RTD is a writer while JNT was a mere bean counter. IMO JNT should've left when Peter Davison left after that he really had no vision for the show and he did try to leave.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like JNT to have had the opportunity to produce more seasons as good as S25/S26 and I wish RTD had left with Eccleston.

3. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

I'm glad the series ended on as much of a high as it did and glad that we got the VNAs, my favorite tie-in novels ever, to continue where S26 left off.

Not that I would complain if someone showed me an amazing S27 from an alt. universe, of course.

Agreed.

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The era of S25/S26/Virgin New Adventures is the best I agree but I'm a bit greedy for more TV McCoy. The novels are an excellent series of sci-fi books in their own right but a part of me believes S27 would have been just as awesome as S26. And S26 had Ghost Light and Fenric which is fucking incredible.

5. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Oh, indeed. With JNT, Cartmel, Aaronovitch, Platt, and the like together, I'm sure 27 would've been excellent, but you never know and I'm glad that the last season of televised Who was one that produced such amazing stories and really showed what the show's potential was. Imagine if the series had ended with The Ultimate Foe!

*I do like Trial, but as a last season, S26 is so, so, so much better than S23.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

While I haven't seen a lot of those years, I'd definitely read that!

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

In the review for the book it mentions the hatred a higher up (Powell?) had for the show and JNT - wonder if the not letting him leave was a screw you to both.

That being said unless there was some iron clad contract, I don't see what would have up and stopped John Nathan-Turner simply up and walking out the door when he'd had enough.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, come on. Assuming you're referring to that radio interview where Barrowman pulled his pants down in front of the web cam, he was being egged on by the hosts. Yes, he's a grown adult capable of making his own choices, but let's be honest. Barrowman is an attention-seeker, and he certainly got attention there. Personally, I think everyone overreacted to that one.

To my knowledge there is no evidence that John Barrowman has ever acted inappropriately, sexually or otherwise.

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Unless JNT left the BBC or got fired he was bound by them to do whatever show they wanted him to work on.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

This sounds like a rather amazing book. I've always enjoyed (most) of the JNT years so I'm going to have to pick this up. As far as him having sex with fans that doesn't really bother me so long as it was consensual.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think you need to watch more TV :)

Yeah, the trouble is people start lumping varuious acts together and before you know if disquieting rumours start. Barrowman will, apparenly, get his willy out at the drop of a hat, but like you say that's very different to anything predatory, juvinile, yes, but that's about it.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, As stated Previously, Gene Roddenberry is famous for his casting couch escapades. (And Berman or Braga apparently continued the tradition)

JNT didn't mess with the kiddies.

Doctor Who apparently has many stories of making Female companions feel uncomfortable at the very least, getting grabbed, leered at and who knows what else.

The only thing that makes JNT stand out is being Gay.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah... what we define today as sexual harrassment was treated by an earlier generation (or at least by the men in that generation) as normative, playful behavior. There are stories of Patrick Troughton pulling Deborah Watling's or Wendy Padbury's skirt down before a take, that sort of thing, and it was seen as just a silly prank. (Not saying that was right, just that things were seen differently then.)

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of the story of the stunt man who had to dress up in Louise Jameson's costume in The Talons of Weng-Chiang claiming that nearly every guy who walked by him while he was dressed like that slapped him on the ass.

15. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I vaguely recall an interview with someone, I think Gary Downie, who claimed JNT requested several times to be assigned to other jobs. He was apparently told in no uncertain terms that if he left Doctor Who, that would mean the end of the series there and then.

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Braga was a big womanizer that backfired on him when he tried to go after Jolene, so he was pretty much forced to work at home mostly for Season 4 of Enterprise. Berman was ok but he had to help keep Braga's activities under wraps.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Jeff Greenwald's book on Star Trek, Future Perfect: How Star Trek Conquered Planet Earth, has a chapter that describes one of Braga's orgiastic sex parties. Come to think of it, I think that's how the book opens. :)

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Seriously?! Wow. Didn't Braga marry Seven of Nine? Did they get divorced? What's this story with T'Pol?

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think you'll find what made him stand out was the shirts...

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, because she's a fictional character. He did, however, date Jeri Ryan for a while.