Darren Aronosfky (!) a contender to direct "Wolverine 2"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, they hired Matthew Vaughn for X-Men: First Class, so maybe they'll follow up with another good move. Personally, though, I'd rather see Aronofsky direct Preacher, another project he's currently contemplating.

2. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is the anything to the criticism that Aronofsky fusses over every damned little thing and can't keep to schedule?

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, I don't even really remember the direction, I thought it was let down more from the script and character decisions.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

If you believe some reports, it's the reason Zack Snyder got the Superman job over Aronofsky. He is a perfectionist, which is why it took so long to get The Fountain made.

Honestly, the guy has done two movies I've liked -- The Wrestler and Pi. I've been ambivalent to downright unhappy with his other two. So I don't get his massive appeal.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

He has fans, but he certainly isn't very big in Hollywood. None of the films that he has directed over the years has made more than 11 million, the exception of The Wrestler which made 26 million.

I saw The Fountain and hated it. At least I liked some of David Slade's movies.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually Darren reportedly slammed the "Superman" script calling it "messy" and that he didn't like it and this is supposed to be the reason why he passed on the project.

I am starting to come around on this a little. The prospect of Aronofsky directing a Chris McQuarrie script that focuses on Logan in Japan and apparently adapts the Miller/Claremont mini-series has potential. He was able to get a terrific performance from Hugh in "The Fountain" which is one of my favorite movies now that I've finally recently seen it. I think this could very well turn out to be a huge step in the right direction since the two have worked well with each other and could work out any creative differences.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The rumor that Vulture ran didn't attribute a statement like that directly to Aronofsky, and they didn't say Aronofsky passed but that Warners went with Snyder because they feel he can get the film into shape faster than Aronofsky. This is how Vulture wrote it up:

8. Admiral_Young

That would make sense then since Fox has taken their sweet time with "Wolverine 2" and Warner Bros is being careful with developing the Superman flick. As far as I know the Superman film has only a completely first draft so there is time to rewrite it if need be.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Well, he's made art films to date, so his box office track record reflects that.

10. Admiral_Young

^ Exactly. "The Wrestler" is probably his most widely known due to it's Oscar buzz, I've yet to see it yet but heard it's really good. "Wolverine 2" would be his first really big studio movie which is why it's so tantalizing that he was first considered and now in final talks.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel like I'm prejudging here and could be way off base but Aronofsky comes across as a real life Billy Walsh, from Entourage, who is a parody of those extreme art house style film makers, haha.

12. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's sort of amazing that a Superman script needs a lot of work. Are none of the ten thousand or so Superman stories that already exist filmworthy? Are all of them sloppy?

Just film "For the Man Who Has Everything," damn it!

Maybe I underestimate the adaptation process.

13. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In addition to Wolverine 2 and Preacher his name has also been attached The Tiger, starring Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70499

Though his name has, in the past few weeks, been associated with Preacher, Wolverine 2 as well as Superman reboot (now attached to Zack Snyder), Darren Aronofsky may make his next project the previously-announced The Tiger, according to a interview conducted with screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga by CNN Mexico (Via The Playlist).

Arriaga states that not only would location scouting begin next month for a shoot early next year, but that the previously-attached star Brad Pitt would be joined by Angelina Jolie.

Based on the non-fiction book by John Vaillant, The Tiger tells the story of the hunt for a man-eating tiger in eastern Russia.

If Aronofsky does, indeed, plan to shoot next year as Arriaga says, it is unlikely that he would be remain an option for Wolverine 2 and possibly for Preacher as well.

14. Admiral_Young

Yeah if he does indeed sign to direct "The Tiger" then I'm guessing that David Slade will be chosen to direct "Wolverine 2". It was reported that he actually met with Hugh Jackman a couple weeks ago.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Well, have you seen Superman III or IV? That's what happens when people don't put a lot of work into a script. These things don't write themselves.

16. Admiral_Young

Again that was just a report about the script being messy and why Darren passed on the project. It should be noted that Ben Affleck passed on it as well along with Warner Bros "Tales of the Gangland" project that he was eying. We really don't know anything about the plot other than what was stated by Nolan back in the spring time. Scripts normally go through several drafts before production and some are even worked on and changed during production.

17. Myasishchev

Point taken.

It's cool that Snyder's on board, though; if anyone will just take a story from the comics and film it and have it be faithful and awesome, it'll be that dude.

18. Admiral_Young

See though...taking and filming an adaption from a comic book story straight up is normally what studio executives want to avoid because their mentality is how will a general audience react to this? That is why you have weird changes and minor tweaks in comic book movies that don't reflect the stories. I'm fine with whatever they film as long as they have done their homework and use the source material and are true the character. Nolan did that expertly with Batman, I'm hoping that Snyder will do the same with Supes.

19. Myasishchev

Sure, but that's the difference that felled Superman III and Superman IV, which invented their stories and even their concepts from whole cloth. There wasn't any real adaptation going on; such strikes me as far more risky--artistically and economically--than simply taking a well-received work from another medium and reinventing it for the screen.

Studio executives arbiting the taste of millions is also how we got the first Wolverine. At least a well-liked comic, however niche, provides a statistically significant sample size.

20. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Hugh Jackman confirms Darren Aronosfky as director; says the film will be "out of the box" and a "change of pace".