Did we know about the Borg sooner?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Pawleygirl, Nov 4, 2012.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But those are effects of an event (cause) which hasn't happened yet.

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Or maybe there was the Borg wreckage and all the other stuff, because Picard and his crew had no choice but to do what they did?

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Normally I'm not a fan of linking everyone with the same name, but in this case I like the idea. Not because of the name, but because of the Borg. It would flesh out Hanson and the Hansens and their motivations concerning the Borg.

4. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Still no. If it was Admiral Smith instead of Admiral Hanson, you wouldn't be proposing it.

There was nothing in tBoBW to suggest that Hanson had any motivation for stopping the Borg other than the "Borg = bad guys" idea. Certainly nothing to suggest he was motivated because he'd lost family members (ie; Magnus, Erin and Annika) to them.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, the point about Admiral Hanson was that he didn't really believe in the Borg, and e.g. dismissed the threat posed by Locutus. The point about the Hansens was that they did believe. We could plead "poetic justice" or whatnot when Granddad Hans*n dies because of his lack of faith, but that's really silly.

Besides, Hanson vs. Hansen is a bit like Ivan vs. John, or Cat vs. Dog, or Night vs. Day. If you spell it with "e", you have Danish or Norwegian roots; if with "o", it's more a Swedish thing. And you don't go telling Vikings that they all look the same to you!

Timo Saloniemi