LCARS Website Template

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Garrett00, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Garrett00

Garrett00 Ensign Red Shirt

This took me about 2 days to put together. It is a website template framework that will allow you to easily make LCARS themed web pages.

All you need to do is download the .zip file and check out the demo.html page. It will explain everything to you.

If you don't trust me and want to see the page without downloading it first you can go to the web page.
    http://www.prolenet.org/LCARS

The biggest issue right now is loading it up in IE it looks like 5h!t. I'm going to be working on that next. The reason for this is because I developed the whole thing on a linux system and didn't have IE installed to check the browser capabilities. :( sad I know.

So check it out, try it out, whatever you want.
    Give me feed back. Thank you!

P.S. this uses the jQuery JS framework, so when developing with it keep that in mind. This will allow for some really amazing javascript tricks.

2. LCARSLINUX

LCARSLINUX Ensign Newbie

Hi,
    I assume you were testing it in Firefox, If you need to test it in IE without leaving Linux, try WINE, it will allow you to run IE natively.
    I just ran it in Google Chrome fine.
    I am going to download it, and see if I can fix some of those issues you mentioned, if I can fix any, Ill drop you a line.
    -Hamish

3. MrJimbo

MrJimbo Ensign Newbie

Looks great!

4. LCARSLINUX

LCARSLINUX Ensign Newbie

Ok, I have just unpacked it, it is easy to setup when you get the basic layout worked out. Very good looking.
    I have also already deployed it, but having a few issues with it working smoothly

5. Garrett00

I'm working on a newer system ATM.
    It'll be up shortly, i'm just writing the How to's and what not.
    Along with the demo site.

6. Garrett00

7. murby

murby Ensign Red Shirt

Great!!
    I tried the framewok version 2.0 in Internet Explorer 7 and 8, see screen.jpg[​IMG]
    any suggestion to resolve the display problem?
    thanks

8. murby

murby Ensign Red Shirt

Resolve font problem with IE adding lcars.eot in text stylesheet :)

9. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Um... Hi! I have my own site, but am not well versed in java and stuff like that. So, I was wondering, how do you get this to work exactly? Sorry for asking what is probably a dumb question...

Edit: Never mind, I think I figured it out. Although I did run into one issue. The way I've had my site set up all pages link to the main site by linking to "index.htm" Only now, when linking it to that page it can't seem to find it. Typing out the full URL - http://guardian-force.comli.com/index.htm also produces the same result, but without the index tag at the end it works just fine. So now I just have them link to http://guardian-force.comli.com and it works fine, but I thought i'd bring it up in case anyone else ran into it as well.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  10. murby

murby Ensign Red Shirt

11. Kaziarl

Ok, so... I'm kind of stumbling around trying to figure this out with limited success. I've got the template on my site, got the border colors how i want them. However, some of my readers have expressed concern that the white text on black page is a bit of an eye strain. Can you explain how to change the color of the text? I assume it's in the CSS file, but I'm not sure where exactly.

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Switch from Times New Roman to Verdana.

13. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

This is an ambitious project. I had a couple LCARS websites when I was in high school ( pics )and learned a lot about it. I do wish I had the ability to import specialized fonts back then. That's a big help for something like an LCARS layout.

As for what you have so far, I think it could use a good deal of work. One of the big things for this sort of site is the color scheme. These are some of the standard colors...

[​IMG]

For your first template set, it might be best to shoot for a fixed width layout in the 900px range. That would fix the 0 margin /padding you have right now. Having the graphic elements right at the edge of the page doesn't look very good. I would also spend more time getting the LCARS "curve" right, that elbow that links the horizontal and vertical graphic elements. I spent a lot of time on that myself and didn't get it quite right. I'm sure you could get closer to getting it "right" though.

Also, the text in the corners of graphic elements 'belong' in the bottom right corner more often than not.

on your stand alone page title bars, you might consider breaks in the bar with the text between the break, like this...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  14. keekwai

keekwai Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

All I see is ...

What's happened to it?

15. Kaziarl

Sorry to bump an old thread, a friend of mine asked me where I got the template from and I sent them to the site in the OP. However, that site seems to no longer exist. So I have two questions.

1) Would it be ok to give it to my friend? I don't want to do that without permission.

and 2) Is there a new site? I would like to update my site so that it can properly credit you instead of the old non-existent site.

Thanks.

16. Garrett00

Sorry for the lack of communication on my part. I have been very very busy at my new job. The old system is still online at the same URL but i highly suggest avoiding it. I am working on a new system that will use a simple Jquery plugin and allow to you write mark-up as you please. I'll inform you when this is finished.

For the old system http://www.prolenet.org/LCARS/index.html (remember the index.html).

17. Kaziarl

I believe your "old" one is the one I use on my site (link in sig if you want to check). It works great in my eyes, can you elaborate on why to avoid it?

18. Garrett00

There are to many requirements from the developer.

1) Specific syntax for each page
    2) Not cross browser friendly
    3) Not completely true to the LCARS design (TNG)
    4) Button System coloring issues

My new javascript plugin will allow you complete control over your syntax and content.
    Including a better button system.
    It should also allow easy PHP integration.

I'm not saying to take down your site. I'm flattered you're using my work, I'm just saying the new system should fix some things I am disappointed with.

19. Kaziarl

Thats fine, it's always nice to improve on what you have. It's just I have very little experience in Java or PHP, so I'm hoping it's still as easy to implement.

20. Garrett00

No worries. The new system will be even easier.
    I have a etc of late Feb.