R.I.P. Ben Gazzara & Zalman King

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gil T.Azell, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stroy

and

Story

2. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

It's a shame that I was also considering a dual RIP thread too - they definitely are dropping fast this week.

X-Files fans owe a lot to King by the way, since David Duchovny starred in Red Shoe Diaries (he was sort of the Rod Serling-like host of the show) in the years before he got hired to play Mulder, so he might not have gotten the role without the exposure. And without King putting them in 9 1/2 Weeks I don't know if Mickey Rourke or Kim Basinger would have found their later success as that film really put both of them on the map.

Gazzara was always one of those actors who seemed to always be around, and was often in that category of "powerhouse" alongside the likes of Ed Asner. I remember him best from his work with Audrey Hepburn in some of her final movies.

RIP both.

Alex

3. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, Alex, can't agree with you on King's importance to Basinger's career. She was already on a strong path with attention grabbing shots as a model (She'd been Miss Breck and had a major Playboy pictorial), a strong TV run (including a lead in a series and a couple of TV movies), and some important movie roles ("The Natural" and "Fool for Love" plus being a Bond Girl early). "9 & 1/2 Weeks" was significant in her career, but I don't think it was critical to it.

Gazzara's certainly a loss. I've been a fan since "Run For Your Life." And his work with Cassavetes will always keep him in the memory of the art house crowd, not to mention his more "pop" work.

4. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Gazzara was a bit saddening. He was, and still is, one of my favorite character actors of all time. It was a great pleasure to discover Cassavettes through Criterion's wonderful box set of some of his best films, and the biggest gem of them all for me was "The Killing of a Chinese Bookie." It's a bleak, darkly humorous and absolutely captivating movie, and a lot of that has to do with him.

He was one of those actors who could show up in the worst movie you've ever seen at that point in time, and I would always walk away thinking, "Man, that movie was terrible, but he was pretty good."

5. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

This is too bad. I always liked him. RIP.