Star Trek Remastered Seasons 1-3 Special Features (DVD)??

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Freman, May 21, 2009.

1. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was wondering if anyone can give me a complete rundown of any Special Features on the Remastered TOS DVD sets. Are there any new audio commentaries, or text commentaries? Anything good?

2. Freman

Anyone? I want to place my order for these soon, and the special features play a big role in my purchasing decisions when I'm basically doing a double dip.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

You mean Standard Def or Blu-Ray?

Although I think they're both the same.

There's heaps of goodies on the sets, although I'll admit I've never seen any of them.

And haven't bought the original release, so can't really comment.

...not much help am I...?

4. Freman

DVD, not Blu-Ray.

And no, you're not much help. :) LOL! That's okay though.

5. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I can offer some feedback on the special features, but I haven't watched all of them. I wasn't interested in the stuff about special effects, how the show applies to 'the real world', Star Trek fandom, collectibles, etc., so I skipped those. I'd rather just hear the actors' reflections on their characters and the show as a whole, so I mostly stuck to the special features that featured interviews with them. These include "Reflections on Spock" (which is just Leonard Nimoy talking) and "Star Trek's Great Trio" (about the relationship between Spock, Bones, and Kirk), which has comments from Shatner and Nimoy. There's also a featurette focusing specifically on Uhura as Star Trek's "original diva", but I haven't watched it.

There are some very nice interviews with Shatner, Nimoy, and George Takei talking about their characters as individuals, and they also talk about their feelings and memories about certain episodes in the "Season Overview" for each season. This includes some very amusing anecdotes, like the way Shatner teased Nimoy about his mind meld with the Horta in "The Devil in the Dark". :)

There's also "Trek's Favorite Moments", which is a fun featurette interviewing cast and crew from other Star Trek series (i.e. Tim Russ) about how they got into Star Trek when they were younger before they became part of the franchise and episodes/characters they liked. The only thing I didn't like about the interviews is that Shatner's a little hard to understand sometimes because his voice is too deep. I don't know if that's just the result of aging (he always sounds like he has a cold!), but otherwise all the interviews were fascinating and entertaining to watch. I also enjoyed the interview with original series writer D.C. Fontanta, who talks about the writing process and history of the show a little bit.

If you're a DS9 fan and don't have the seasons of that show, there's a really cool treat for you - the complete episode of "Trials and Tribble-Ations" and the featurettes about it from the DS9 DVDs. To continue the set's tribble love, they also threw on the animated episode "More Tribbles, More Troubles" with commentary by its writer, David Gerrold. These were some of my favourite special features as a big fan of both the original tribbles episode and these two "spin-offs".

6. Freman

Those sound like some good features. :) But there aren't any new commentaries, text or audio, just the ones that were on the original DVD release?

I guess the commentary on the TAS episode by David Gerrold is new, as I don't think there was a commentary for that episode on the TAS DVDs. So that's a bonus, i guess.

thanks for the reply.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

You really should wait for blu-ray or PS3. The DVD's don't look nearly as good as the blu-rays. Plus you get your choice of episodes featuring original FX or new FX -- both in high-definition.

8. Freman

I would, but I believe Blu-ray is for suckers. ;)

9. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I hear ya'. I still haven't bought a CD player. No way I'm giving up my wax cylinder collection.

10. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

No, it also has an audio commentary on the TAS DVDs.

11. Freman

Hmmm, how did I miss that? Weird.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator