Time Travel method in Trek XI- possible

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by jeetervarul2, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jeetervarul2

jeetervarul2 Commander Red Shirt

SO I was surfing this afternoon, just me alone with my thoughts and the waves. I was thinking about Star Trek and something Robert Orci said about time travel in the film. He said the it would not be the Guardian of Forever, but something fans would get and understand.

About that moment a large wave loomed before me and I got into position, the wave hit me with such force and propelled me with such speed that I almost fell off, but managed to reposition myslef and stand up. Thats when it hit me......The famous Slingshot Effect. Yes the method of time travel used in Trek IV, and some TOS episodes.

Could it be? Would there be any offense to cannon? What if a aged Spock desperate to get back in time, used this method? It makes sense as it is a "logical" method that even he himself knows works. What do you all think?

2. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Why don't they just go to maximum warp and then slingshot around William Shatner?

3. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

^I think I would like the movie better if it didn't include backward time travel in the plot.

---------------

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Re: Time Travel method in Trek XI -- possible

Maybe he will just use the same method that Eric Bana's Romulan Nero will use to get to the past. Whichever this will be. Maybe even the Romulans use the slingshot effect. We'll see ...

I for one think the less is explained about the method the better. Just something that everyone would get. It really should just be the means to craft the story. So the technicality shouldn't be that important.

5. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be possible... the only thought I'm having is that if old Spock goes back in time, he would either need to bring a whole crew of other people with him or he needs to steal an entire starship pretty much on his own. The reason I'm thinking that is because a shuttle or a runabout or some other single person vessel probably won't be able to get fast enough or be strong enough to survive the gravitational pull.

6. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

If I remember right, the slingshot that happened by accident in TOS was noted by the crew to be the first time it had ever happened. So the idea to do it in the movie is possibly against cannon. Now they might have come up with something else, the Nexus has been charted several times for example according to dialog from ST:Generations.

7. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Somehow I doubt that we will really see the Nexus in the new movie. Nobody but fans would recognize it. And as Ronald D. Moore and Brannon Braga so funnily admit on the commentary track of GENERATIONS: The idea of the Nexus doesn't really make the slightest sense. So easily Spock could use it to stop Nero using it in the first place ...

8. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But Nero would be coming from the future, so it wouldn't be breaking cannon. And then, one could argue that just because good old Mr. Spock thought it was the first time, deosn't mean it was. It just means that previous times were either undocumented or they were unable to make it back to their own time.

9. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His mass (and his awesomeness) is too great...there's no way even Scotty could figure out how to break free.

10. Samuel T. Cogley

Who would ever want to break free?

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marcy Lafferty?

12. Samuel T. Cogley

She'll be back.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

The whole time-travel thing is done by Spock turning out to be "Future Guy" fighting time-traveling Romulans in some kind of "temporal Cold War."

14. Samuel T. Cogley

They could make a whole series based on that! :drool:

15. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too dated. Make it War on Temporal Terrorism.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Come on, how would they stretch that out to seven years?

17. Kaziarl

Ok, so I have a question. Where is there any information about it being a time travel movie? I haven't heard that anywhere except here.

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be a better ending to the TCW than that crap about the Nazi alien.

19. jeetervarul2

jeetervarul2 Commander Red Shirt

Well you have a young spock and a old Spock in scenes together? No? I think that was reported, but I could be wrong.

20. Kaziarl

I think Nimoy is supposed to play a different vulcan. Atleast I think thats what they said at startrek.com