Have there been any 'alternate history' books saying:

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dale Sams, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"What if the Enterprise-D failed to stop the Borg in BOBW?"

And do you think the Vulcans would have abandoned Vulcan under the pretext of:

"Earth and Starfleet Headquarters have been assimilated. Including several Vulcans. There is no plan we can come up with that the Borg cannot anticipate. Logically their next target will be Vulcan. The logical course of action is to deny the Borg any more drones and to abandon Vulcan."

2. Peter Q Taggart

Peter Q Taggart Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Have you read "Engines Of Destruction"?

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Engines of Destiny :techman:

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Engines of Destiny doesn't spin off of BoBW, but the time travel events of First Contact.

6. BillJ

Actually it spins off of Generations.

EDIT: I guess it could be considered a spinoff of both films. Since both are important to the story.

7. F. King Daniel

Isn't it...
    Because a post-"Relics" Scotty saved Kirk from dying on the Enterprise-B, Picard never met Kirk in the Nexus, Generations went badly and so the Borg were never stopped from rewriting history in First Contact?

At least, that was my interpretation. I don't think it's ever explained properly, because neither the post-"Relics" Scotty nor the Kirk he rescued nor anyone in the pre-Generations present of the book would have any idea.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^That's right.

9. BillJ

The event the book is built around is Kirk dying on the Enterprise-B is from "Generations". So I always counted the book as being spun-off from there. :shrug:

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually the Borg Queen has a few appearances in the book one of which has her explain that the alternate 23rd century is the result of Picard not being there to stop them from going back in time and altering history in First Contact so at least on character did know what effects changing Generations had.

11. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Which is built on a monumental flaw - the Borg going back in time only happened because Picard was there and helped destroy the cube. That whole part didn't make any sense, and since it was an important aspect of the plot, it completely lost me.

12. F. King Daniel

^"You think in such three-dimensional terms.":p

13. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

After all

we know the Enterprise wasn't at the battle because of Picard. Without him, why send away the most experience crew you have at fighting the Borg. They might have done a lot better with them there from the start.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

We don't know that for sure. In fact, I don't think that interpretation holds water at all.
    If the Borg had something as powerful as time-travel technology, why would they save it for an emergency backup plan only? It seems more likely that the whole reason they came to Earth was in order to use the time machine -- that the fleet almost managed to stop them but they were able to proceed with their intended plan at the last moment.