Star trek into darkness test screenings question

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Apr 19, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I recently read that star trek into darknessis not going to have test screenings befoure the movie. But I thought that most movies today have them so they can make the movies better. So my question is what are peoples thoughts on this? why arnt they doing test screenings? and is it better without test screenings?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obviously if they did a test screening it would have been long before now, and the precious secret of Harrison's identity would have been revealed. What matters is the special press-prescreening before the release date. Usually a movie is expected to fail if they don't do one of those, and my understadning is that STID will at the end of April.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  3. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

J.J. "locked" the movie yesterday, according to Trekmovie, so he's finished editing it and doesn't plan on making anymore changes to it. In my opinion, I think it shows that J.J. thinks he has a good movie on his hands. Asking test audiences to help tweak a movie is a sign of a director who is not confident in his story or storytelling, and the process rarely ends with a better movie as a result. (famous examples: Pretty in Pink, Heathers, Blade Runner)

~FS

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

And there are examples where testing resulted in a much more successful movie as well, such as FATAL ATTRACTION (not saying it improved the movie, personally I hated the new ending, which I was shocked to find out Nick Meyer wrote.)

VIDEODROME benefited enormously from early screening, when Cronenberg had overcut the movie so much that the audiences didn't realize Max Renn ran a cable company until well into act 3.

But your notion that it is about a director who is not confident is not really credible, since it usually isn't the director's idea to have them at all. The studio does test screenings and market research and all that to protect its investment ... the director has his cut, and is entitled to two screenings of it before it becomes the studio's thing to do with as it wishes (unless the director is Kubrick or Nolan or Fincher or a few elite others who have final cut, and even in most of those cases final cut hinges on the director delivering a movie that the studio deems as legally falling within agreed-upon parameters (like not delivering a 5hr25min HEAVEN'S GATE.)

5. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

so is this a good sighn that there not having test screenings?

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I think the best way to answer the question is did ST09 have test screenings? I don't know the answer to that but it turned out ok!

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No test screenings as far as I remember.

8. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Theatrical movies don't go through screen testing. They only are review by the ranting board. Only new television shows get screen testing.

Yes, the Producer and Director do review the film, to see if anything have to be added or remove.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Theatrical movies are test-screened all the time by audiences. At least two Trek films made changes after test-screenings (Generations, Insurrection). :techman:

10. yenny

In a way you're right. It do goes though screen testing. But only to see if it needs reediting, reshooting or rewriting.

There is also focus group screening. Where a target audiences are given question and interview and sometimes is recorded.

Then there's Critic screening. That when the press get to see the film, but only through invitation.

Then there's Private screening. That are commonly provided for investors, marketing and distribution representatives, and VIP media figures.

Then there's Preview screening. Public preview screenings can occur at boutique theaters (which may not be scheduled as a release theater). These may serve as final test screenings used to adjust marketing strategy (radio & TV promotion, etc.) or the film itself. Complimentary tickets, sometimes limited in number, are frequently provided to local media for contests or giveaways. Viewers may be recruited and "prequalified" with a series of questions to determine if they fit the film's target audience. No confidentiality requirement is imposed on the audience.

Then there's Sneak preview. A sneak preview is an unannounced film screening before formal release, generally with the usual charge for admission. This is to help determine "success and failure factors" of a film.

Then finally, the general release.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's not right "in a way." He's just right, flat-out. Saying that "theatrical movies don't go through test screenings" is wrong.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering JJ's love of secrecy, test audiences are likely locked away in a large underground vault until the film's premiere.

13. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Test Screeenings is why at the end of Star Trek Generations we got Shatner saying, '...it has been fun.':rolleyes:

One of the lamest endings in all of Trek save '...row, row, row your boat.' or B-4 sitting in Picards ready room.

14. yenny

Only the first and fifth previews of a film is known as a screen testing. A film goes though 6 progresses which the first viewing is call a screening testing. But a preview screening, which is also call a public preview screening, this is a final screening testing.

PS. If someone that works in the filming business, log on and post saying that y'all are right and that I am wrong? Then y'all will be right and I will be wrong. But he or she have to prove that they works for a film company and not saying that they work for a film company and not having others saying that they knows him or her.

15. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I know what they did for Generations, what was changed for Insurrection?

tks

16. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

????????????????????????????
    Only the first and fifth? Where are you from, the fizzbin universe?

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Whole ending. Originally you didn't have the E carving up Ruafo's flagship or anything blowing up, just Picard sending Ruafo off and having him de-age down to nothingness.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I met Robert Wise at a con many years ago. He said he wished he'd had time to do test screenings on TMP . . . .

19. yenny

In what year did he said that to you?

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

This would have been around 1982. He was the GoH at a college-run sf convention I was involved with.