The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aaaahhh, next week is so FAAAAARRRRRRR away.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Creepy Milton is looking for the Little Girl Teddy Bear Factor. The irony is that he's either a shitty scientist, or has absolutely no practical knowledge of walker behavior. I'm leaning toward the latter, & adding it to the list of things that makes me think Woodbury is primarily populated by people largely sheltered from the horrors of the new paradigm, unlike Rick's group

It is a mindless ravenous cannibal, so long as there is anything present upon which to feed. He's not conducting a controlled experiment so long as he & Andrea are in the room. If he ever figures that out, he might be on to something, & the more I watch him fumble about in piss poor form, the more I realize I'd probably be him. Once I saw one do something like go pick up its teddy bear, I'd want to know wtf that is all about :lol:

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey--Glenn "mans up" a little. Will it last?

At last, the big battle is on the horizon.

Will Andrea see her old comrades and turn on the governor now--or in the second half of this season next year?

Who lives...who dies?

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Uh Oh! looks like The Walking Dead is developing the "no one trades basic information" disease. Hope it doesn't last.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

He had to. Maggie was at stake.

As of this episode, the Governor is officially a dead man.

It also had the "do dumb things to serve the plot" syndrome. Running into a cabin to be surrounded by zombies, and setting a zombie to kill your captive, then leaving comes to mind.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there was some of that going around. It's hard to imagine that hermit guy could last when there were no zombies let alone now.

7. TREK_GOD_1

Andrea is the question mark in all of this--will she aid in turning on him, or will she side with him during the battle?

In this case, there was nowhere to go, with the large number of walkers coming from all sides. They could not take a chance on running ahead and end up blocked by yet another herd.

Merle did not care. If the walker bit/infected or outright killed Glenn, they still have Maggie to torture for information.

With the first stage of the battle coming, i'm thinking early theories about Daryl being the one to face and/or kill Merle may not be the case, as it could be too expected. Then again, if any of the governor's guards make their way to the prison to capture the rest of Rick's group, and bring them back to be used to end the fighting, Carol being threatened would set Daryl off, despite his stated relationship to his brother (in the preview).

Glenn will either seek revenge without thought about his safety, or I can imagine Maggie wanting her shot for his abuse of Glenn.

Then, there's Michonne....

There's many revenge possibilities here, but I think Merle will find a way to escape and return for more evil at the end of the following season, or even beyond....

8. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So what do we think about the name Judith? I hope, at the very least they give her "Ass-Kicker" as a middle name. I thought it was a bit odd it was named after Carl's third grade teacher, but I also viewed that as Carl trying to hold onto a little of his old life. On the other hand, I was happy with any name other than "Lori."

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Moreover, him asking for Rick's badge made absolutely no sense to me. What he was hold up in the barn for the past 1+ years completely oblivious to the zombie apocalypse :wtf:

General thoughts on this episode:

*Overall very good. The scene with Glenn and the zombie was very intense.

*I'm not getting Andrea's naivete to the experimenting on the the zombie - that should have been a huge warning that shit is going on in the town. When the scientist was trying to investigate the dead zombie should have been a sign that things aint' right in Woodberry because they want through the same shit with Herschel.

*Why did the Governor start to innate a rape of Maggie and back off?

*Daryl and Rick seem to becoming closer friends than even he and Shane were.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  10. TREK_GOD_1

Perhaps he was half crazed, so he was thinking as though the worlds was sort of operating under normal standards. Why else would he ask for a badge when this self-described policeman is travelling with a pack of very un-cop like individuals?

I think she will be tested moving forward--a test if she's going to go along with the wacky governor crap, or to try to rejoin Rick's group. Right now, she seems like she's looking for a position where she can best manipulate things in her favor.

I dont think he was intending to follow through--it was to break her down as quickly as possible. When she was bent over the table and still acting defiant, he knew that would not work. Only a threat to Glenn would break her.

...for the moment...

11. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, in my opinion the scene was added to simply add more gore - by making him walker bait - rather than any thought as to why the man would react that way and why he would be hold up in a barn and seemingly oblivious to the zombie Apocalypse.

12. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

One thing that really struck me about this ep...The Governor said to Merle that Rick's group accomplished what Merle said could not be done. - They headed into a place in the Red Zone and took it for their own. I wonder what that says about the Governor's plans?

If Carl, Ass Kicker or Carol are threatened, I could see Daryl turning on Merle. I see those three as Daryl's family. He obviously cares about them quite a bit, and that bond may end up trumping blood.

Andrea must love showers and sex above all reason. Why are not more alarm bells going off in this woman's head? (Granted if I were in a waking Hell and found a refuge, I probably would not ask lots of Qs.)

Michonne is cagey. Therefore, I can see Andrea dismissing some of what M said as paranoria. But, then you have Zombie Battle Royale coupled with experiments.

I don't think the experiments in and of themselves are uber scary. I can understand them wanting to know more about what they are fighting, but everything added together should give her warning bells.

Perhaps Andrea is just someone who is intellectually bright and physically capable but will choose the douchebag every single time?

I never doubted that Glenn was capable in a fight, and both he and Maggie held up well. I feel that her trial was harder though. We have seen Glenn get in and out of hard situations. What Maggie was faced with was horrid. I think the Governor did realize that the only thing that would break them would be their love for each other.

I say the Governor is now my #1 I hope he dies horribly. Merle is at #2.

13. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

My own personal insane theory is as follows - I think the crazy hermit was just fine until that dog died. Then he went bye-bye. His one companion was gone and rotting and then the group found him.

14. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rick and party have a good chance of getting into Woodburry. It seems that it will be less defended because the Governor has sent out a recon party to the prison. But do they really want to destroy Woodburry? Taking out the Governor would be a wonderful thing, and maybe a crony or two, but this town needs the protection of its citizens. If Rick and company do a mass slaughter of Woodburry protectors, they're pretty much assigning its citizens to death unless Rick and company take up residence after.

I'd really like to see Carl hold off the recon team by himself. Looks like they lock the gates to the prison and not just close them.

I thought that the hillbilly was using the smell of the decayed carcasses to keep the zombies away. I really felt bad for him and surprised at Rick's actions. This guy was minding his own business, probably pretty happy that he's survived on his own all this time then decides to go to sleep. Next thing he knows! Bam! Guys with guns break into his place and start yelling. Then he gets fed to zombies! He was just a speed bump to Rick and the group, at least the prisoner guy wasn't happy.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Everywhere Rick & Company goes, stuff like that happens.

And I think Woodbury will be destroyed, if anything, just to keep the show moving along to new and interesting things.

16. beneldon

beneldon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree with you, Trek_God_1, for one, the gang ought to be used to the smell of death by now so that something so pungent would make them take a cautious notice. For two, the Hermit threatens them with calling the cops which, after all this time, would be an empty threat - unless you had lost your only doggy friend and companion being alone in a world of zombies (which Hermit would have had to know about and been dealing with) and had gone over to madness.

Also, Hermit was runnning for the door oblivious to the walkers scratching to get in and was killed to protect the group. His body was fed the the zombies and our heroes escape...

I think Hermit deserves a webisode!

17. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm starting to get that feeling too, & for a long time I really did think Daryl would have to face off with Merle, but now I'm wondering if there will be something unexpected instead.

The Gov & Merle don't exactly trust each other, & are certainly not honest with one another. After catching that little history bomb about Merle having told the Gov that the prison was unconquerable, I'm beginning to think there's gonna be a breakdown in their relationship, that might get Merle dead

We've learned a lot about Merle we didn't know. Mostly that even though he's tough, wild, & batshit crazy, he's also kind of cowardly, in how he kowtows to the Gov & even skulks away from his fight with Michonne because he knows he's out matched

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

MMilton said he "telecommuted" to work. What kind of SCIENTIST does that? He'd have to go to a lab, if he were a "real" scientist...and maybe have a friend or two there.

Milton is nowhere in the league of the CDC scientist...he may have been a computer technician or something...quest.

I think he's just someone who has the most training to make him the scientist of the group...maybe a step lower than Herschel , the vet (i.e ANIMAL doctor) is now the group's medical doctor (for humans).

As for the experiment he's trying to accomplish...i am sure that is on orders of the Governor. The way he has been able to keep his daughter relatively calm... that shows the theory has SOME merit.

Does Milton know about the Governor's daughter? if so, that would be a motivation to explore that theory as well.

I also took it to mean, regarding the lack of subjects, that there are no zombies that have any relationship with the Woodbury survivors (other than the Governor's daughter.) Witht he subject...they were tyring to put some strong memories in his head, so that when he turns...they could "prove" that some meories are retained (and stretching that hope in terms of "saving" the dead.

19. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think what we're asking for is something like, say the group either finds, or is found by, a city where they have essentially rebuilt civilization, however, having the "new normal" of zombies factored into the daily routine. (That city might also be established by the group).

The final season might be the group really trying to find the :secret" of the group, but realize at the end that the safety of this city is real, and not fake like Woodbury.

In the last episode, I might expect Carl or Judith reminicing about the "old days", and we see the new normal as the closing (and maybe someone slicing a zombie head as the last scene).

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I could see telling a story about the Hermit being a sort of twist on Robert Neville. Might make a good series of webisodes.