More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Which is probably the thing that worries me the most about the Disney takeover: the Mouse is a damned whore. He'll greenlight anything that the guys in the Magic Castle think will make them a few bucks.

I'm not implying a KOTOR movie might not be good or even wonderful, but I just don't want every single nook and cranny of the Star Wars universe to start demanding its own big-budget, two-hour epic. Overkill of even the best things is not only possible but happens.

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

The one thing The Old Republic has going for it is it's the one era that's most like the film era, but it's still completely detached from the other films. The three games and the few comics are only limited to about 400 years, but the The Old Republic Era is about 3000 years.

I think the story potential to start "fresh" is better than it would be anywhere else. Even The New Republic era (even if set in distant future) would still ultimately be tied to the movies.

3. cooleddie74

The Old Republic does have some amazing characters....the myriad Darths (Malak, Revan, Nihilus, Malgus) for example could potentially be even creepier and more interesting than most of the Sith Lords in the Saga films.

4. CorporalClegg

One thing is, there's been the rumored Disney buyout of EA for years now. If that ever does happen, you can pretty much book on a TOR film.

5. cooleddie74

With all this talk of spinoff films involving KOTOR, Yoda, Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Han, Jabba and who knows who and what else I still wonder if the idea for the live-action TV series survived the Disney buyout and they're still interested in producing it in the coming years.

All that work from what was supposed be more than 100 writers submitting ideas and story treatments for episodes could be all for naught if Disney doesn't want to bother with the small screen.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds messy.

7. CorporalClegg

And probably not very practical.

8. cooleddie74

On the other hand, your Scrabble score will be AMAZING if you play those two words.

9. CorporalClegg

But you can't use proper names in Scrabble.

10. cooleddie74

Not your games, no.

:devil:

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe they're only exploring which nooks and crannies will make the best movies? I could see them ordering people to come up with loads of proposals and then cherrypick the ones that seem the most promising. So although all these movies are rumoured I imagine only a handful will get made.

I can imagine a scenario sort of like what happened with the X-Men films, where they were going to do a lot of origin stories but in the end we got X-Men: First Class.

12. cooleddie74

I hope they eventually narrow down the potential list to about, oh, say, three films and go from there. Three new Saga episodes and three standalone stories seems like a good round number, especially if there are still any lingering plans to produce and air the live-action TV series that's been in development for the last few years prior to the buyout.

You don't want too much Star Wars in the public eye and consciousness at any random given moment or else the brand will start to wear thin. Look at Trek. Four whole TV series, six big-budget theatrical films and countless other offshoot projects in the space of just 18 years and it got to the point where even Paramount thought it was time to put the franchise down for a while.

13. safarial

safarial Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i read Disney is considering doing a 10 to 12, if seven to nine perform well enough.

14. CorporalClegg

Are you sure you're not confusing that with the spin-offs?

The Saga will three films: three groups of three, three act films. See a pattern?

Even the Mouse wont dare mess with the sacred trilogy.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's worth keeping in mind that everything we've heard about the spin-offs has just been rumors so far. I don't think anything beyond the new trilogy has been officially announced.

16. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Spin-offs have been officially announced. It's just a question of how many, who's in them, what they're about and when they're being released.

Okay, maybe a few questions.

17. cooleddie74

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen mynock?

18. CorporalClegg

Alderaanian or Kashyykian?

19. cooleddie74

I....I don't know....

(*eaten by space slug*)

20. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

About four parsecs; I think.