DS9 The Dominion novella being released in German in Canada

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomswift2002, Aug 13, 2013.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does B&N sell ebooks there, or are they US-only? They've had the German books available for a while now...

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Interesting that the translation of the title is "Fall of the Gods".

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Novella" is a misstatement -- all six Worlds of DS9 installments were long enough to qualify as novels, albeit short ones.

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that not exactly what the original English title implied, albeit rather more poetically?

It does annoy me slightly though, when translations take out all the poetry of originals, leaving it at base denotative meaning. I know you have to be wary of idiomatic mis-translations, but Olympus Descending isn't really an English idiom, is it? Maybe German culture just doesn't reference Greek myth as easily as British/American/Canadian culture does, I don't really know.

6. WingmanMZ

WingmanMZ Cadet Newbie

I don't know but "Abstieg vom Olymp" is being used quite often in German. Though it might have a slightly different connotation because it typically refers to a single person coming down from a high position. "Olympus descending" sounds to me more like the whole olymp is falling apart, which might be what was supposed to be alluded to in the novel.

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess they could have translated it as Götterdämmerung if they would have aimed to keep a poetical title, but overall I don't mind the translation they used.