Lobo: Alien Bounty Hunter -- DC's next big screen character??!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I vaguely recall Lobo's name being tossed around years ago but figured it had died. Seems Lobo is back in rewrite with Brad Peyton of Journey 2 now at the helm.
    Assuming Flash doesn't hit any snags I'm a bit surprised DC is going back to the cosmic well for a character to bring to the big screen after the lackluster performance by Green Lantern. I can't imagine Lobo will be much cheaper in the f/x department.

[​IMG]

2. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Green Lantern didn't really need to be as expensive as it was. Having all the bells and whistles didn't help it be a better story or help it make money.

Lobo could take a Farscape / Hellboy approach at a lower cost; and they don't really need a big name to play people in heavy make-up.

That said, Jonah Hex took the low-ball approach and tanked too; but it all goes back to story.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah as mentioned "Lobo" has been in development hell for years and seems to be one of the lesser known characters that DC Entertainment is fascinated with trying to develop into a feature film. I dunno. I've never been a fan of the "Main Man" I can see elements of his character and premise attracting them to try to make a film out of. DC just as Marvel does has a number of these characters they've live action plans for. It'll be interesting to see if it actually comes out of development hell this time. I wonder what the status is of "Sgt. Rock" now that Guy Ritchie is no longer attached to the project. He was going to follow "Sherlock Holmes" with "Sgt. Rock" until "Sherlock Holmes" became the huge hit it did and Warner Bros fast tracked the sequel.

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Can't imagine who could play Lobo - the only name that would kind of fit is Ron Perlman, and he's already Hellboy...

5. Captain Craig

I'd for sure rather have Helboy 3.
    I know a year or two ago Pearlman said he wished they would do it if they intend to cause he isn't getting any younger. That statement sounds like he knows or is ready for that to be his last stunt heavy type role.

Instead of Lobo I think if DC is going to mine their C-list ranks that a movie with someone like The Question, Chase or Manhunter would be more cost effective AND allow for name dropping crossover style dialogue.

I mean the comparisons have long been made that Lobo is just The Punisher in Space and we see how well the mixed effort Punisher films have done. Pushing Lobo back into a higher position on the slate just doesn't seem the best possible fit.

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'd actually rather see a decent Martian Manhunter flick, TBH... Lobo's just a little *too* cartoony to pull off in a live-action movie. Though I'd be fine with a proper Lobo anime.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm kinda surprised to see them going for such an over the top character. I would think with the success of the Batman movies and the failure of Green Lantern they'd be sticking to more down to Earth characters. It seems weird to me that they'd be going for such a unknown (outside of the superhero fan community) character, when they have so many other well known characters like Flash, Wonder Woman, or Aquaman. I'm not saying it couldn't be good, it just wouldn't be my first choice for a new DC movie IP.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

A Lobo movie needs a script? And Jeffrey Dean Morgan had talked about wanting to play Lobo.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. Captain Craig

Morgan made that comment? Any chance you could link to it?

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, I've read that about Morgan too (but I'm too lazy to google it).

Given the credentials of this director, this sounds a bit like the main man will be watered down and PG-ed (Lobo teams up with a young girl on Earth? Hmmm). I think Lobo may be one of those characters who works better in a comic than in a live-action adaptation. It's hard to think of someone who can fit the physical bill and capture the attitude too. The character may also just look silly onscreen.

If Guy Ritchie was still involved, I'd probably be more interested.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

MTV's Splash Page ran two items on Jeffrey Dean Morgan wanting to play Lobo, the first in 2009 and then a follow-up the next year. You can see them here and here.

12. Captain Craig

I thought it was going to be something recent.
    I didn't ask for a link till after I had googled it.
    When I got results for 2009 & 2010 it didn't really fit with his statement.

When he says "Jeffery Dean Morgan had talked about it" I wasn't expecting past tense to be quite that much in the past. It sounded as if JDM had just a few weeks ago said it and hence now the Lobo project is back on. As it stands they seem quite unconnected.

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Sorry if I gave you that impression, but this movie still might not happen either and he still might be interested in doing it.

14. Captain Craig

It's cool. I was just thinking my google-fu missed the new remarks(when I assumed there were some).

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That fact that they got the writer of "Journey 2" leads me to believe that this is going to be a relatively low budget action film to [hopefully] make a quick buck, and not an attempt at a mega franchise.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine they'll look to bring it in for the kind of budget Peyton had for the last two movies he's directed for WB: $80-90 million. That's if it actually gets a greenlight. This is one of the DC properties that remained under Joel Silver's control (while Green Lantern and Wonder Woman were taken away from him) and he's just been let go from WB. Whether that'll have any effect on this project remains to be seen.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

18. Admiral_Young

Dwayne is an interesting choice. Still would prefer to see him as Black Adam in a "Shazam" film but that doesn't seem likely to happen.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Rock as Lobo? I'm not so sure of that, doesn't seem to fit his personality and I don't know that he has enough thespian skills to stretch to pull it off.

20. Admiral_Young

Rock's heel character at times was close to Lobo IMO. With the proper script...he could pull it off.