Bashir's genetic modification: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DevilEyes, May 7, 2010.

?

Did you like the 'Bashir was genetically modified' retcon?

1. Yes, I think it was a good plot and it worked

47.3%
  2. It was an interesting storyline, but I didn't completely buy it

33.8%
  3. No, it made no sense

14.9%
  4. I'm not sure

4.1%
  1. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

TOS did something very much equivalent and even worse IMO, in the Nomad episode. They have Uhura recite dialogue fit only for a pre-school child, in the exact same way that a pre-school child would recite it, and they also act like it's no big deal that Uhura's entire identity has been erased.

Are you outraged about the racist connotations of that too?

2. CaseNumber825

CaseNumber825 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I remember reading about this about a week ago, and I can honestly they that I can see exactly where he's coming from.

I don't think the storyline was bad, but it's one thing to push that sudden revelation to the audience, but to surprise the actual actor playing the character, that's just somewhat rude, and a little bit disrespectful.

I think Siddig was only angry because he'd worked on the character for years and suddenly the whole basis of the character does a huge 180 and it turns out he's been lying to the federation for most of his life.
    Perhaps if it'd been planned from the start of the show he could've then worked it into his performance. Take, for example, the episode 'The Abandoned' with the Genetically engineered Jem'Hadar. If it had been decided from the beginning that Bashir was Genetically Engineering he probably could worked something into his performance during that episode.

I just didn't like that it seemed like the writers obsession with having a Spock or Data character in the show.

3. blueyes1181

blueyes1181 Cadet Newbie

couldn't you say Montgomery ? hmmm

okay lame joke... that is funny... genetic modification ? yes why not with strict guidelines

the thread is about an episode ? okay.. voted