HEROES 3x08 "Villains" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Nov 10, 2008.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

32.9%
  2. Above average

34.2%
  3. Average

23.7%
  4. Below average

6.6%
  5. Poor

2.6%
  1. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

I thought this episode was great. I said it after we first met Mr Petrelli that we needed a flashback episode to explain how he got to be how he was.
    One thing I think Heros has done wrong since the beginning of Season2. They moved too fast with the plot and just used the characters to serve the plot. I find the show MUCH more interesting when they have the show serve the characters. When they go into details about the characters and things happen because of that. There is a difference. And that would help Hero's main problem. The whole plot and each seasons plots are to easy for them to shoot their load and then be left with nothing else to do but rehash the same save the world plot. Id rather they slow down and tell the story about the characters and not the "Save the world" plot...

2. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was a pretty decent episode, I liked how they fit everything together (even if it wasn't 100% perfect).

:guffaw:

3. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Decent. There was a lot of interesting things going on, and I liked the way some stuff tied together, but the episode as a whole just didn't seem paced very well. It was slow, dull, and a lot of the sequences completely lacked any tension. Nonetheless, Cristine Rose almost singlehandedly made the episode still enjoyable.

Nice to see Eric Roberts again (he's always been one of my old man crushes). Sad about African Dude. :(

4. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Flush.

5. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

It was no 6months ago, but it worked pretty well.

6. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

So the Petrelli scenes were 18 months ago, and the Fire Siblings and Sylar stories were a year ago, right? They should have been a bit clearer on that, but I think that's what they were going for. Pretty good episode, but I'm still not at all impressed with Arthur as a villain. He's really boring and has a weird annoying quality to his voice. Good to see Hiro losing his powers...he hasn't been interesting since the first season.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't count Hiro out yet. I'm not convinced his powers can be taken, nor that Arthur was actually trying to take them. Notice that we didn't get the soul-sucking effect we've seen before when Arthur steals a power?

And then there's Ando, who looked so very distressed when the episode ended. Don't powers manifest under stress? We know he has some kind of energy attack in the future ...

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was that episode really necessary? I had a Enterprise Vibe watching this episode mainly because I was reminded of when Enterprise told the story about how the Klingons lost their ridges for Star Trek and then got them back. This one, instead of it being a Klingon story, it's why Claire walked into the fire (As in what caused it) and Nathan's girlfriend getting severly injured. These were all nice mysteries in the first season but did we really need to revisit that?

Anyway, I did like the stuff with Noah, Elle, and Gray. Interesting spin that Noah was responsible for making Gray be a killer even though the Sylar we know from before I think is offically dead. Kind of a pity. I loved that side of him and that whole theme had had in season 1. I also really liked the Maradith story, except for finding out how the fire was caused.

Overall, it was pretty decent (I gave it an average) but after being off for a week, I have almost forgotten what this season is about again. I loved the trailer though bringing back the Eclipse. You'd think that thing that they use all the time to open the series would have been a running theme in this show. It's almost like "And They have a Plan" from Battlestar Galactica. :D

9. cyph

cyph Captain Captain

Fantastic episode! I don't understand why you guys seem so overly critical... This episode answered so many questions I had from season 1, and having the DVD set of S1, those questions were fresh in my mind. This episode was quite satisfying, and I'm quite excited for the next episode!

EXCELLENT

10. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

It could have been a dream sequence, like he did with Angie. Hard to tell.

This whole thing with Daddy sucking up everybody's powers is getting tiresome. Why do I have the feeling that Sylar will wind up having a god battle with Daddy in the end, which will end up giving everybody's powers back?

11. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Great episode. It did answer some questions from season 1, as with how Arthur died and what caused the differences between Angela and Artur. Also the lie to Peter and the rest of the world.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Because I miss the well crafted, smart (for the most part) characters from season 1...

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm abstaining from giving this a rating.

The episode was very good up until the end. I liked almost everything about it and then they had to go and do it again!

What is with this stupid show and taking people's powers away ? For f***'s sake STOP IT! :mad:

14. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The assumption is Pappa Petrelli's taking Hiro's powers away, and that's what it looked like to me. But since we haven't seen the outcome, it could be any number of things. Pappa has a range of powers and may be up to something a little more sinister than a simple power strip. We'll see.

I liked this episode, mostly, because I liked Season 1. I found, like some are saying, the manipulation of Sylar to be unnecessary, but it was nice to remember how far Noah once operated in the gray. Although it challenges the way we "remember" how things went down in Season 1, the episode explained a few things and cleaned up a couple of matters, which will hopefully tighten the story moving forward.

Above Average.

15. cyph

cyph Captain Captain

I figure Arthur Patrelli came through to see if Hiro followed through with his assignment...

16. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Unfortunately, it could also mean that Papa Petrelli is making Hiro forget what he just saw, therefore making this episode even more pointless.

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: HEROES 3x08 "Villains" - missed a point about Sylar

Did i hear it wrong, or did HRG say that they thought Sylar's power was transferring them from one body to another?

If so-- that would be an interesting super powered being -- and a great way to defeat Arthur.

Who would make an interesting recipient of the new powers?

18. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

Re: HEROES 3x08 "Villains" - missed a point about Sylar

From what we've seen, that's pretty much what he does. He looks at the brain, figures out how it works, then mysterious "wills" the power into himself. No reason he couldn't do it for someone else if he were so inclined. It just doesn't fit his personality or goals.

Hell, that could explain his "as if you could!" comment to Peter in the future when Peter threatened to just take the power from him.

19. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There seems to be a MASSIVE continuity flaw with this thread. I keep reading posters here saying that HRG made Sylar into a killer. Clearly you people were half asleep the entire time. Sylar was killing people before HRG came along. That's why HRG was there. He wanted to know how Sylar was taking the powers of his victims. The guy Daphne (the speed woman?) brought to Sylar was ALREADY ON SYLAR'S HIT LIST. Hello! Maybe someone needs to start firing a couple of you cats for your terribly constructed criticisms.

Anyway, that ending was bull. How in the world did Arthur kill the african? He can see the future, for crying out loud. I hate it, when writers change the rules at the last minute to move the story along. Pure laziness. Unless, of course, they explain this in the next episode and it better be a damn good explanation.

20. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's tricky, because they're retconning. But the Company certainly didn't let Sylar solve their problem - and prevent future murders - by letting him kill himself. And, when it looked like he was coming to terms with "the hunger" through the kindness of an out of character, unusually balanced and steady Elle, they placed temptation squarely back in his lap.

Made? No. Pushed back on the path? Looks that way.