If Voyager's finale had left them back in Kazon territory

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by DodgerFan, Aug 11, 2011.

1. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Ensign Red Shirt

So I've heard that one of the ideas they were toying with is that Voyager would go through a transwarp conduit and end right back at the beginning.

Is it just me or would it have been the most genius ending to a show ever? I can just imagine them exiting the conduit, sensors are down and then they get a hail from a ship and its the Kazon.
    Janeway sinks back into her seat, teary eyed and roll credits!

I think it would have been fantastic and a really brave move.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

An ending like that would have pissed off the vast majority of the show's fanbase. There's nothing poignant about it, it would have only been good for shock value.

3. Laydin

Laydin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You really hate her don't you.

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I think it would be perfectly fine provided it followed whatever the bulk of the finale's mission was - say, saving yet another primitive race from evil overlordship or something, and, knowing they'd saved the day, try to make the last-ditch effort to get home... only to find themselves facing Culluh.

Sure, it'd be a downer, but I'd have accepted it, dramatically.

The finale we got was basically them having their cake and eating it too, a cliche they were even bold enough to include in the script itself!

5. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course it would have been sad to see them not getting home.

But the ending which is suggested in the original post would have given us continuing adventures in the books and a possible movie which wouldn't have been that bad.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Technically from a kazon perspective, they never left Kazon space.

What if they got back to Earth just as the Kazon finished conquering it?

7. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

ROTFL! The Kazon had not a single brain cell among them! :guffaw:

8. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

A voyager movie? Janeways cameo was bad enough. Only slightly more disapointing than ending we got. Would have been a Voyager reset.

9. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

The conduit shoulda plonked them 75,000 light years in the opposite direction from Earth.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, those Kazon, they just go rolling along. :D

I like the current VOY relaunch a lot better...

with Project Full Circle dealing with the aftermath of the defeat of the Borg

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

This is the problem with shows that revolve totally around things like "Going Home", you have to find some way of stretching that out for the entire series run and either don't resolve it at all or have it happen right at the end.

IMO, "Going Home" should've just been the secondary plot of the show. The starter plot to get things going, and then it becomes a background thing while the primary plot turns out to be something else, something more grand that could really engross a show for several seasons.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek has always been far-fetched but a Voyager movie is moving into full blown fantasy. There was more chance of them casting Liberace as the Terminator than making a voyager movie.

13. Lynx

Maybe. But we would still have had the books.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote:
    I don't.

I don't want to read books where four of my favorites are killed off, ruined or missing.

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I read the first two books of the relaunch by Christie Golden when they came out. I was not impressed. Beyond the (in my opinion grossly unnecessary) fanwank elements of the two books), I wasn't much a fan of having Harry Kim's girlfriend being an all-too-obvious copy of Sydney Bristow in in the 24th Century. That, and frankly, it was just not all that well written. :shrug:

Eventually I'll read more (and will gladly eat my words if it turns out the newer books are any good) but for now, it left a rather bad taste in my mouth.

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The newer books are excellent and worth a read and I speak as someone who thought that Voyager the show was a complete piece of shit.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Winding up right back on the island - err - in Kazon territory. Well, that would have fit right in with the Gilligan's Island parallel, for sure.

To tell you the truth, I would have laughed my ass off.

17. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Who cares? The last thing a writer should think about is if the fans will like it or not, you can never please everyone, so all you can do is to try to tell a good story.
    And even if the majority (i.e. a very loud minority) is pissed off, it's the final episode, what are they going to do, stop watching?:lol:

18. Lynx

Well, the Voyager writers dind't care at all about what the fans would like or not. Quite the opposite.

I just have to mention "Fury" and "Endgame".

And yes, "Fury" did stop me watching, although I actually watched "Endgame", making my mind up about watching it 30 seconds before the episode started. A bad decision from me as I see it now.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the technology were ever invented, would you go back in time to stop yourself?

20. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Or they arrive back at Earth, but it's entirely uninhabited except for 7 or so lifesigns on a Pacific island (depending on whether nearby island natives, Wrongway Feldman, or a few others are visiting). They find the castaways there, and they pull one over on the Voyager crew on shore leave and the 7 of them steal Voyager, fly into a solar storm on a 3 hour tour of the Sun, and find a way back to an inhabited Earth. Meanwhile, Janeway can yell at Harry every time he bumbles their attempt off the island.

Skipper- Janeway
    Gilligan- Harry
    Ginger- Seven
    Mary Anne- B'Elanna
    Professor- Tuvok
    Thurston- Doctor
    Lovey- ennh... Tom