Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Delays happen. Whatever the reason, they just do. Besides, Project: Potemkin has a pretty solid track record so far for their releases, so I've no doubt any delays that may occur will be short-lived. As they say, keep on keepin' on!

2. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

My only disappointment is that while we're not a house of cards, we have to air them roughly in production order because of character development.

For example, S01-2 has to air before S02-B. S02-A has to air before S02-B. S02-C has to air before S02-D. S01-A has to air before S02-E. S02-E has to air before S02-F. That sort of thing.

We moved away from that sort of thing for the third season. TOS rarely did that, the only memorable examples to me are "Corbomite" / "Deadly Years" and "Taste of Armageddon" / "By Any Other Name."

I regret not following their example more closely. We could've had six more vignettes already aired by now...

3. doubleohfive

I think there's a great lesson to be observed here for all fan filmmakers. Not that you guys have done anything wrong, Randy (far from it!) but an example worth noting to be sure.

Serialized stories must be told in sequence in order for them to work. You can't watch, say, episodes of LOST out of order and expect the show to make sense. (And LOST is absolutely a show that plays around with time/continuity/storytelling).

On the other hand, a serialized storyline told in sequence can reap huge benefits and audience satisfaction if well done. The fan production I point to on this is Star Trek: The Section 31 Files by DarkerProjects.com. It's an audio series, and has it's rough edges, yes. But the plot and the overall arc of the first two seasons of the show are brilliantly sketched, performed, and executed even though it takes an episode or two to really get going. And if you sit through those first two seasons and you've paid attention, it's one of the finest serialized Star Trek stories ever.

Thirdly, there's the value of the standalones, not to be dismissed easily, as the various fan films have established. I guess it just boils down to what's important to you in a story.

I loved Hidden Frontier and it's brethren out of AreaKT Productions, but it was completely, overly serialized. There just wasn't any break with those shows... nearly every episode would have the crew facing a problem, barely solving it and having their earned victory, only to have the show end on a dark note or some new crisis rearing its head. It's fine if that's the story you want to tell, and I have no shortage of respect and admiration for what Rob Caves and his team achieved with those shows, but pacing-wise it got to be somewhat repetitive.

So it can be a mixed bag. And as you've learned, one definite downside to overly serializing is that you've got to get them done in order. Just as important though is, I think, that you guys are getting them done and that's no small feat.

4. Potemkin_Prod

I appreciate that, and agree that you have to be careful not to over-serialize events.

Which is what Lost in Space did. It tried to hook the viewers into tuning in next week. Sorta got stale after a while.

In our production, none of the regulars are regulars forever. We've killed one off, we've transferred a couple, that sort of thing. We like to introduce our new replacement characters with, well, a big moment for them.

So when I say S02-D has to come after S02-C, it's because we introduced Asst. Security Chief Tyler Landon in S02-C, and if you watched S02-D, you won't know the character as well. And when I say that S02-B has to come after S02-A, it's because S02-A introduces us to Yeoman Ziandra Yanari, a Trill.

Perhaps that's not as important to the average viewer, but, well, it is to me. Just shoving a character into a spot isn't as interesting as seeing why that character is in that spot. In S02-C, we meet Cadet Teddy Burroughs. In S02-G, we see he's now an Ensign at the helm. We know a lot more about him, and can see more depth in his role in S02-G because we learned a good bit about him in S02-C.

5. doubleohfive

And that's the story format you've chosen to use to tell your story.

Believe me, I understand the quasi-OCD nature of it all (I am always re-organizing my bookshelves, my DVDs, etc.) and follow incredibly strict guidelines and protocol with my own writing and continuity. It's a bane in some regards, but I think there's very much a skill to be garnered as well in situations like this, so long as you don't let it out of control.

6. Potemkin_Prod

Agreed, and thanks for the insights!

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I think this will work out well, and you will build audience by starting a pattern of releasing one per month. That over the following year (or two or three) people will start looking forward to their Potemkin Fix (as many do to their Outpost fix) and you will have MORE viewers for this initial delay, not less. (Outpost get as many as 65,000 downloads per episode).

And it's good that this is starting now, with a significantly higher quality product than you were producing in your first few outings, too. I really think you'll find this is going to work out very well.

Having stuff in the can will help keep this schedule up once you start releasing it. And I don't think you'll regret the continuity, either.

With a set of characters who you are creating, recasting and recasting the same character is unlikely to work. It's not like Phase II's Mr. Spock... most people, even most non-Trek fans, know who Mr. Spock is. Likewise Captain Kirk and Bones McCoy. When they change actors it does not require explanation, any more than a new production of Hamlet has to explain why they aren't using the same actors as another production of Hamlet... or another interpretation of Sherlock Holmes.

I think you'll find this will work out far better than you seem to currently imagine.

8. Potemkin_Prod

REVISED PRODUCTION ORDER FOR THIRD SEASON
    along with Stardates and their status

S03-A Holding Pattern (Post-Production)

S03-B Unspoken (Editing/Post-Production)

S03-C The Chair (Filming 12/20)

S03-D We Few (Editing/Post-Production)

S03-E Third Watch (Editing)

S03-F Frazier's Angels (Editing)

S03-G Do No Harm (Filming 12/14, 12/19)

S03-1 The Last Child (Filming Teaser & Act I on 12/20)

S03-H Battlecruiser Kupok (Filming 1/18)

S03-2 The Monsters Are With Us (TBA)

For the fourth season, we're still planning on: CALLIE, BETWEEN TWO WORLDS, and THE LUCKY ONE.

9. Potemkin_Prod

We completed videography for part 1 of S03-G "Do No Harm" Saturday morning. My thanks to Jeremy Ellenberg, his friend Darrin Comstock, and Leslie Lewis for coming out. It was great fun, and we look forward to shooting the second part of this episode on Thursday evening. Thanks also to Linda Marcusky for bringing us food and drink!

Here's a couple of pictures to share. The actors did their own makeup, as usual.

[​IMG]

The difficulty in the shot, was that experimenting with the green screen and the medical green tunic result was not good. The color key made his tunic (and the body parts therein) disappear. :) We knew the black screen wouldn't work either. After trying the bright orange screen, we found that the purple screen would work best.

[​IMG]

10. Potemkin_Prod

Just now beginning to recover from this hectic past three days.

Thursday's shoot was a success. My thanks to Jeffrey Green and Abby Evans for being there and ready to roll. Jeremy Ellenberg was sick and unable to make it, so we'll have a makeup session with him and Abby in the beginning of January. We have almost completed the required shooting for "Do No Harm."

The same is true for "We Few." Thursday evening, we filmed Jeff in the ready room for his scene. There MAY be one extra shot needed, or not. We'll have to see. But we need Jeremy's presence on the viewscreen to finish that production. And lastly, Jeff did a pickup for "Just Once."

Friday's shoot was terrific. My thanks to Leslie Lewis, Rachel Riemke, Ande " An D Rew" Ross, Ashley Longacre, John Wallace, Sara Higgins Mackenzie, Dakota Dodge, Jeff Green and Guest Star Thomas Miles Goosmann for their performances. This was a special episode for me in particular as this was the first time folks will take notice of Miles. It's his work on the bridge that made moving it from the first studio to the current one a huge success.

On Saturday, we began filming "The Last Child," a 30-min episode. We completed filming on the teaser and Act I with Abby Evans, Rachel Riemke, Ande Ross, Ashley Longacre, John Wallace, Chris Gilstrap, Dakota Dodge and Jeff Green. This was actually a great shoot; we got to do a couple of sequences that are right out of the original series. We will continue shooting this episode either in March or May, depending on the availability of the cast members.

Our next major shoot is scheduled for January 18th, and will feature Jack Zumwalt, Alex Everett, Jim Everett, Jessie RiaƱo, Robert Ladimer, Ashley Longacre, and Isha Mckelvin as the Klingon crew of the eponymous "Battlecruiser Kupok." Call is for 9:00am. Makeup will take at least 90 mins. I'm hoping we can get some interested folks to help with the makeup! Shooting will commence at 10:30am and last until 1:00pm when we'll take a lunch break for 30 mins. Shooting will recommence at 1:30pm and last until 5:30pm. It's my hope we will have the shoot completed by then, if not earlier. Construction for the Klingon bridge set will take place the week of December 30th.

The second unit for "Battlecruiser Kupok" will shoot possibly on January 25th or February 1st or 8th, depending on the availability of Romulan cast members: Sub-Commander William C. Searcy, Centurion Eric Holt. We're looking for a couple of other Romulan crewmembers with non-speaking roles: tall, skinny. Males need to have goatees. I'm also looking for help with costuming for the Romulans. I have the material; I need the tunics made. They aren't going to be difficult; they're just giant T shaped tunics with shoulder pads. (I'll post a pic below.)

Lastly, we're looking for a few things to be donated to the production:
    1) a pair (or more) of identical shot glasses for Captain Grigory's ready room
    2) five "faux" intercoms for use on the corridor set (non-functional, of course)
    3) Lowes gift cards for the purchase of materials to construct the Klingon and Romulan bridge sets (got one yesteryear in a Christmas card, in fact!)
    4) and lastly, a 12' wide piece of carpet (brown, green, black, or other earth tone) of at least 12' in length -- doesn't have to be new

Guess that's it for now. We're wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

11. Potemkin_Prod

Here are a few random pics of various cast members taken from the shoot from this past weekend:

From "The Last Child," Act I, Scene I
    [​IMG]

Abby Evans as Lt. Tyler Landon, Asst. Security Chief
    [​IMG]

Leslie Lewis as Ens. Ava, Security Officer
    [​IMG]

John Wallace as Dutch, the new chief engineer of the Potemkin
    [​IMG]

Set construction manager and builder Miles Goosmann as Commodore Thomas Standish
    [​IMG]

Dakota Dodge as Ens. Teddy Burroughs, Helmsman
    [​IMG]

Sara Higgins Mackenzie as Ensign Ziandra Yanari, Navigator
    [​IMG]

and of course, Jeffrey Green as Captain Alec Grigory, Commander of the Potemkin
    [​IMG]

Feel free to visit our album and view other shots from our production at:
    http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/Project_Potemkin/library/December%202013%20Shoots

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  12. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Man, that musta been one bitchin' New Year's Party!!!

13. Potemkin_Prod

LOL We'll never tell, but the supply of iceberg vodka from Darren Hann is now depleted.

14. Potemkin_Prod

There...she breaches!

15. Potemkin_Prod

The release of S01-2 "The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky" in no way means that work stops on our series!

On January 18th 2014, cast and crew assembled for our first Klingon production! S03-H "Battlecruiser Kupok" focuses on Captain Grigory's adversary, Captain Kesh, as he and his crew undertake a mission for Klingon High Command. Strange readings have been detected in the Alawanir Nebula, and the Kupok is dispatched to investigate.

Starring Jack Zumwalt, Jim Everett, Alex Everett, Jessie Riano, Robert Ladimer, Ashley Longacre, and Isha McKelvin. Makeup by Eric Holt and Ashley Longacre. Written and directed by Randall Landers. Unit photography by William C. Searcy.

The production features seven Klingons, one more than we've had before. Makeup took nearly four hours to complete (half of the production time, in fact).

The Klingon bridge was constructed in two week's time by Randall Landers and built almost entirely with donations from fans such as yourself! Klingon Command Chair and Bat'leths constructed and donated by Alex and Jim Everett. Lower Deck seats donated by John Wallace. Carpet provided by Tapestry Carpeting of Albany, Georgia.

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Northam has been working hard on the VFX for S02-A "Duty Bound," the premiere vignette of our second season which is scheduled to be released in February! He's got two VFX shots to go!

More news to come!

16. Potemkin_Prod

SECOND SEASON PRODUCTION RELEASE SCHEDULE
    Prod. "Title" Scheduled Released
    S02-A "Duty Bound" IMMINENT
    S02-B "Darkness" LATER THIS MONTH
    S02-C "Second Contact" Late March 2014
    S02-D "Ashes" April 2014
    S02-E "Beach Towel" May 2014
    S02-F "Shovel of Kahless" Late June 2014
    S02-G "Command Decision" July 2014
    S02-H "Just Once" Late August 2014
    S02-I "Red Sky at Night" September 2014
    S02-J "Closing Time" October 2014

THIRD SEASON PRODUCTION RELEASE SCHEDULE
    S03-A "Holding Pattern" November 2014
    S03-B "Unspoken" December 2014
    S03-C "The Chair" January 2015
    S03-D "We Few" February 2015
    S03-E "Third Watch" March 2015
    S03-F "Frazier's Angels" April 2015
    S03-G "Do No Harm" May 2015
    S03-H "Battlecruiser Kupok" June 2015
    S03-1 "The Last Child" July 2015
    S03-I "Landing Party" August 2015

The editing for all productions through S03-E has been completed.

17. Potemkin_Prod

To avoid traffic with Star Trek Continues' newest release, "Lolani," and Star Trek Phase II's upcoming release, "The Holiest Thing," we are currently planning on releasing:

S02-A "Duty Bound" on February 22nd 2014
    S02-B "Darkness" on March 8th or 15th, depending on the progress on
    S02-C "Second Contact" which is due at the end of March 2014

18. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

19. Potemkin_Prod

Colonel Konnerk, Klingon Ministry of Intelligence

[​IMG]

from the upcoming S03-H "Battlecruiser Kupok" episode of PROJECT: POTEMKIN

20. Potemkin_Prod

I just watched S02-D "Ashes" which is now scheduled for a March 25th release. It's in terrific shape; the cast and crew did a phenomenal job with this pathos-inspiring vignette.

S02-C "Second Contact" will be released toward the end of April, possibly with a special premiere showing at Trek Trax Atlanta. Kenneth Thomson is working on the planet-side VFX for this episode while Chris Cameron is working on the space-based VFX. It should end up being a very special episode.

S02-E "Beach Towel" is virtually complete. Steve Gallant is currently working on the sound and music, and we think folks are going to be very pleased with this tribute to the animated Star Trek series. This production will be released in May.

S02-F "Shovel of Kahless" is nearing completion. Kenneth Thomson will be supplying the planet-side VFX while Chris Cameron is again supplying the spaced-based VFX for this follow-up to "Beach Towel." All we ask is that no one talks about that broom after we release it in June.

S02-G "Command Decision" is getting there as well. Mark Berge has completed the space-based VFX. Rick Foxx has performed the color correction, and I am working slowly and surely toward implementing the panel animations for the many bridge stations that appear in the episode. Expected release: July.

S02-H "Just Once" is in the capable hands of Rick Foxx. It's another episode shot on our first bridge set, and is an ironic story to be sure. Kenneth Thomson will be handling the space-based VFX for this production. Anticipated release: August.

S02-I "Red Sky at Night" is one of those very special tales, one inspired by a piece of artwork, no less! Artist Sean Mulkey provided the background artwork for the planet surface, which will be augmented with VFX. This is one you should be looking forward to! We're releasing this vignette in September.

S02-J "Closing Time" is getting an audio facelift. We're in the process of doing some ADR work for the production which will fix the problems we encountered while filming, editing, producing and releasing this vignette over the weekend of Trek Trax Atlanta 2013. We will re-release this improved version in October.

I should have another update tomorrow or Sunday on Season 3 which starts in November!