Will a "Hero" try and go back in time and fix Vulcan's Destruction?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by teacake, Jun 18, 2014.

1. AirCommodore

AirCommodore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Will a "Hero" try and go back in time and fix Vulcan's Destruction

It IS science FICTION, Bill! We all allow for that. :) But the science part of scifi means SOMETHING. A LITTLE something anyway. Maybe to restrain some of the crazier, over-the-top wankitude.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

We obviously haven't been watching the same show over the years. :lol:

3. AirCommodore

Apparently not! I have been watching Star Trek. I am not sure which show you have in mind, but ST isn't it. But I must say that I like your attitude on this. Instead of just coming up with some in-universe explanation, you just say "Well it's all BS anyway, so WTF! Let em wank!" That's not my view, but I get it.

4. BillJ

I watch Star Trek to have fun. I've been watching Star Trek since 1975 when I was 4 years old, seeing Kirk fight a lumbering lizard-man.

For me, the "wank" is part of the charm. I can read Asimov, Clarke, Baxter and others when I want hard science-fiction. Which I would have never had an appetite for without Star Trek's influence. But I don't want Star Trek to be something it has never been before, I want it to be fun, entertaining light sci-fi. Where Kirk punches the bad guy, saves the universe and gets the girl. All the while, cool spaceships and weird aliens are duking it out.

5. AirCommodore

Well I was also 4 in 1975 and that is also when I became a Trek fan. Like I said, I entirely understand your view on this. IMHO however, I think you can do all that AND not have naturally occurring phenomena like Supernovas that travel at warp speed! ;)

Believe me, I can live with it. I am just sounding off here my good man.

6. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be Isaac Asimov, who wrote about telepathic robots, time travelers, and shrinking humans to microscopic size; Arthur C Clarke, who wrote of turning Phobos into a star (and then Jupiter!), inertia-free space drives, and a universal solution to the Y2K bug by a clever bit of software virus writing; and Stephen Baxter, who wrote an alternate history where a chunk of superconducting antimatter smashes into the moon in the early 18th century and creates a second moon around Earth but still has the Ems Telegraph sent on schedule, and in another story has the Saturn V facilities test article --- a rocket-sized thing used to make sure Cape Canaveral handling operations were working --- dusted off after a half-century of neglect and launched into space.

7. BillJ

Which shows that even the most hardcore science authors will bend plausibility if it leads to what they think is a good story. :techman:

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So this turned out to be the supposedly leaked plot, denied by Orci but who knows?

As always it could have been in awesome n the right hands. While it's an overly done story to Trek folk maybe the general public wouldn't have found it that way not having sat through multiple episodes of time fixing. I do think once you know it's possible it would be highly likely some Vulcan would see it as the logical thing to do.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek '09 seemingly paved the way for time travel resets in big movies (X-Men DoFP, Terminator Genysis), the idea they perhaps wanted to reset the reset hurts my brain.

It would have been hilarious though, if they made the movie, tease the reset throughout, then we see the future of the AbramsTrek timeline (Shater/Nimoy cameos) and that its way way better than Prime, and they all decide not to. We could end all the droughts in the world by collecting the tears of the Abrams-hating fanboys.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I'd enjoy an expedition being sent back into the past to restore Vulcan...they disappear and nothing changes since, predictably, the expedition ended up in an alternate timeline.

11. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

Or they find a way to follow the black hole back in time and find out the rubble of Vulcan spewed out billions of years ago in the Prime Universe, accreted, and formed Romulus.

:rommie::rommie:

12. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

By the alternate timeline theory, Vulcan can't be saved. The universe Spock came from still exists. Going back and saving Vulcan would just create a third universe.