Fright Night (2011) Discussion/Review

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Saga, Aug 19, 2011.

?

Fright Night (2011) Grading

1. A+

11.8%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

11.8%
  4. B+

35.3%
  5. B

11.8%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

5.9%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

5.9%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

surprised there isn't a thread for this. i enjoyed the original film so i'm curious to see how this remake fares. i'll be seeing this later tonight. has anyone else seen it yet?

2. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

Just seen it. Some of the "let's be frightening" parts in the beginning fell flat, but after Tennant took the stage it became awsome beyond measure. Vampires are un-twilighted by this one! :) Solid A, last time I laughed this hard was Hot Fuzz and In Bruges.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I hoping to see this tomorrow. If it's anything even remotely like Hot Fuzz and In Bruges, then I'll enjoy it.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be checking this out but not this weekend. Most likely next weekend.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm up for this movie, but probably will wait to netflix it. I wanna see what our boy Chekov has been up to. ;)

6. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved it. Great casting, beautifully shot, script by Marti Noxon of Buffy fame, nice nods to the original as well as other vampire tales, not to mention other sources of geek lore.

See it.

7. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why didn't David Tennant tell Charlie Brewster that the unicorn he was riding could stab the vampire to death with its horn? A better question is, why does a movie supposedly set in this day and age relentlessly hammer away at the supposed hero's virginity? (Which the supposed heroine isn't, by contrast.) The conviction that fanboys don't like sex is set in concrete in Hollywood.

The original Fright Night was one of the cinematic pioneers of the sexy vampire (along with Vamp, Frank Langella's Dracula, Interview with the Vampire and Lost Boys.) That well's been drained dry.

The unbelievable hostility between all the characters (well, strictly, Toni Collette doesn't respond to Charlie's dismissive attitude with anger or bitterness,) means all the positive actions they take seem unmotivated.

Colin Farrell was impressive, David Tennant was delightfully funny, Anton Yelchin was there and Christopher Mintz-Plasse entirely failed to make his character seem human.

Poor stuff. Sorry I wasted the money.

8. Saga

i thought it was pretty good. i like the original and the changes that were made were interesting. they did just kinda jump in and run with Jerry being a vampire though. Tennant was great though. i wasn't sure if McLovin could pull off a vampire or not, but thought he did a nice job.

9. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

saw it today and I loved it including the changes. and the 3d was fantastic. I was surprised no nudity in this version.

10. Saga

i was surprised at the lack of nudity too. the original film had its fare share so i expected even more in the remake.

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the premiere last week and thought it was brilliant. I hadn't seen the original so I don't know how it compares. But I thought it was funny, and there were a few jumpy moments as well. Had a really fun time watching it.

12. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

So does it follow the original pretty closely?

13. timothy

pretty much they did some changes of course. I would love to see these guys do a buffy remake.

14. Saga

well...kinda. there are some major changes, but the basic story from the original is still there.

15. auntiehill

OK, saw it this morning. Fun, for what it was. A couple of good laughs, mostly from David Tennant. The story felt a bit rushed, but it was enjoyable. I really liked Chris Sarandon's brief appearance; I think that got the biggest laugh of the film.

16. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great movie. I totally loved it and will go back an see again. David Tennant was just beyond great in this, made me miss him in Doctor Who even more.

Didnt realize till now that our boy Chekov was the lead kid. He was really good.

Still wish Tennant could of said Blimey though lol

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

That was tons of fun. The performances were all around great, the amount of gore was just right, the action scenes actually had some intensity and originality. David Tennant stole the show, completely. I really do kinda miss him as the Doctor (not that I dislike Matt Smith.)

I'm also glad they didn't go for a cheap "shock ending." Let's just let the hero enjoy that which he has earned through his (literal) trial by fire.

So yeah, I enjoyed the crap out of it. There really doesn't seem to be any major thing I can nitpick. Is it sad that in this day and age it's refreshing to see a movie about vampires that are actually evil?

18. timothy

wow I did'nt know that was him either. who was the woman who play peter vincent's wife I know I seen her before but don't remmber.

19. auntiehill

I think that was just his girlfriend, not his wife. Her name is Sandra Vergara; she hasn't done a lot yet.

20. timothy

okay cool thanks for that. she was hot. I did'nt stay till the end of the credits was it nessery?