why did Pine have his hair styled the wrong way in STID?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

in STID he has his hair styled/parted on the opposite side to ShatKirk in TOS (unless you count those mirror 'reverse' reaction shots in certain episodes) and the opposite way to how Pine had it in ST09 (which was almost as if to foreshadow the classic Kirk forelock over the forehead style of TOS kirk, albeit bushier more movie Kirk)

its even more surprising when you take into account Pine has it styled the correct Kirk way in real life! (check out all the interviews premieres etc to promote STID) In fact ive never seen him with it swept over the other side before STID or since...so there has to be some sort of reason he had it like that in this film.

I wonder if it was intended as a subtle nod to the fact that this is all taking place in an alternate universe/dimention where things arent the same? An inversed 'mirror' kirk...like in the Roy Thinnes movie Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun (aka Doppleganger)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Or that some time may have passed between the movies, and during that time he decided he wanted a different hair cut.

3. Khan 2.0

not that much time!:lol:

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

If we go by the stardates, presumably a little more than a year elapsed between Star Treks XI and XII. Don't see why someone can't get a different haircut during that time.
    :shrug:

5. Khan 2.0

kirk mustve switched the side he styled his hair due to the traumatic events of ST09

or maybe the increased lighting on the JJprise made Kirk 2.0 switch sides

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Define "wrong." It's not like a haircut is a genetically determined trait. Kirk himself changed toupees, err, hairstyles between seasons 2 and 3 and then in the movies.

7. Khan 2.0

yeah but he always had that particular hair style in TOS. It was part of the iconic OS kirk look

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Butterfly effect.

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm proud to say that I changed the way that I part my hair last December, and since then people have been asking if I got a new haircut.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Alternate universe remember. Either that or his stylist was killed onboard the Kelvin.

11. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pine Kirk isn't TOS Kirk. It really is just as simple as that. ;)

12. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

He is also likely wearing a small piece (toupee) to thicken his lightly thinning hair
    His hair is shockingly similar to Shatner at his age
    Many actors have to wear a thickening piece not to cover up a stereotypical bald spot but more to mask thin fine hair and a slight hairline recession under hot lights
    Shatner did the same thing in the early 60s and actually had what we would consider a pretty decent head of hair when the pilot was filmed
    But some people have thinner finer hair (pine and young Shatner being two of them)
    Nothing to be ashamed of, pine is still a few years away from grafts or a full on toupee which Shatner was forced to wear in the early 70s when nature took over but he is well on his way

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

How much time do you think this actually requires?

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because Nero.

Always because Nero.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

We're dicussing hair partings now?

Really?

I just...can't even.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

This is a truly hair raising thread.

What's it like living in an alternate universe? Does everyone have evil goatees there?

Thank God for that, too. Otherwise I was going to have to boycott the movie for not following the original series to the letter.

17. Khan 2.0

hey if ST3 is set after the 5 year mission i expect to see Pine sporting the thick dark shatfro!

18. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Forget his hairstyle changing between films. His sideburns changed from scene to scene in this movie. Great, fun movie, but the continuity of Pines' sideburns struck me as an homage of the moving herpe from This is Spinal Tap.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

This exactly.

Kirk Prime's perruquier was killed by the drill laser.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I seem to recall it looking at least subtly different in the third season.

By the way, I recently saw Shatner in a production from around 1973, and I was surprised to discover that his hair/toupee style there looked the same way Kirk's hair did in the animated series. I'd always assumed that was just a stylized/simplified version of Kirk's TOS hairstyle, but the character designer must've based it on Shatner's then-current look.