Do you like the idea of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Aug 4, 2013.

?

Do you like the concept of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

1. Yes :)

85.1%
  2. No :(

3.0%
  3. Neutral So Far :|

11.9%
  1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Given Capaldi himself has written scripts I wonder if we'd get the first ever Doctor written scirpt (as far as I know)

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pertwee wrote one - or atl least an outline - along with his friend Reed de Rouen (who'd been in The Gunfighters), but it wasn't used, though it was official enough for de Rouen's name to turn up in BBC commissioning records - probably only for long enough to let Pertwee think it had a serious consideration though.
    From the published plot synopses, it's best described as a fusion of The Underwater Menace and The Time Monster. Feel free to shudder.

3. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the idea when I first read the rumor, but had suspected they wouldn't want to deviate from the 'fresh, young look' mentality. The fact they've gone in this direction is fantastic. Massive thumbs up.

4. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched the reveal live. i was excited until they padded it all out with interviews and crap, Davison excluded, but i got to a point where i felt as though i should phone in and donate to a cause, it was annoying. Then we got barely any time with Capaldi. Bloody beeb.

I am happy with the casting. I like the odea of going older, but, given his work on stage and tv like The Thick of It, he has this energy about him, body language and the look in his eyes. I am happy.

And i am still trying to get that Eastenders vs. The Volcano episode he was in, The Fires of Pompei, out of my head, but after The Thick of It, that has gone.

He has a pressence that makes you focus on him, and his voice is just amazing.

Im wondering if they will dumb down the accent a little like Tennnant, interesting.

So, wardrobe..?

:)

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw: :guffaw: :lol: :guffaw: :guffaw:

My favourite part is says "run you clever boy", and Capaldi says "ah fuck off!". :guffaw:

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Colin Baker wrote "The Wings of a Butterfly" for Big Finish's Short Trips - Volume 1 audio play (which he also performed).

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the info re Pertwee and Colin's script endevours!

You didn't like the Bernard Cribbens bits?

I wondered if he'd keep the accent, I have a sneaking suspicion he will. Wardrobe wise at the moment I haven't a clue. I nailed Smith's absent minded professor look in advance, but with Capaldi I'm not sure. Doubt we'll see a frock coat or a trench coat, somehow I can't see him wearing one of those. I also think they'll shy away from anything that looks too much like a modern day suit in case he just looks like Malcom Tucker!

I think something quite old fashioned, yet fairly simple...but who knows, I get the impression Pertwee might be his Doctor, so it could be frills and velvet.

8. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm thrilled. Matt Smith has been my favorite actor in the role (yet), so I was anxious to find out who was going to be his replacement, and I couldn't be happier.

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like Capaldi to be a dark doctor, so maybe a long black coat with possibly his collar up?

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It get even better, his character worked in a WHO facility in Cardiff.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

:lol: Brilliant.

12. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

:lol:

In all seriousness, the closest parallel I can think of to Capaldi's casting (i.e. an actor mostly known for profanity-laced not-safe-for-kids entertainment, being cast in a program that kids watch) is the late George Carlin, the rather no-holds-barred American comedian who was cast as the kind, gentle (and miniature) Mr. Conductor on the TV show "Shining Time Station" [1] (an American show featuring some Thomas the Tank Engine stories narrated by Carlin).

From what I saw, kids who watched "Shining Time Station" had no understanding that the soft-voiced bearded man who told them stories of trains was the same guy who once presented a routine on "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television" (a routine for which he was arrested in Milwaukee, USA) [2]. They probably didn't even know the name "George Carlin" (as kids never usually watch the ending credits) Only when they got older and heard about George Carlin via his comedy did they realize "wow, I can't believe that guy played Mr. Conductor on a children's show!"

Of course, that was before the days of widespread Internet access, so perhaps things are different now.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Time_Station
    [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words (warning: contains adult language that may not be safe for work)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  13. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm very happy with the choice, can't wait to see him in action. And I think it's cool they didn't cast a thirtysomething again.

14. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    maybe this was brought up before, but they went from the youngest doctor to (tied) for the oldest doctor in a single regeneration.

Certainly a change of pace, especially considering a remark from one of the producers a few years ago that it was "unlikely" we'd ever see an actor over 45 play the Doctor again.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

And they arguably went from the actor who was least known before the show to the actor who was best known before being cast (though McGann or Eccleston might give him a run in that department).

16. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, very happy!

Mr Awe

17. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

18. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I thought Davison was fairly well-known before being cast as the Fifth?

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ there's no scientific way of measuring it but I'm looking at the fact that Capaldi has 30+ years in the business, an Oscar and acclaim for TTOI and In the Loop. Davison was still a young man and I would hazard not as well known outside the UK.

20. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

That's lovely.

Sadly, the world is not ready for a swearing Doctor. :wah: