NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, Jun 17, 2011.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek #9 is actually the first issue I've liked.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a very quick leaf through part two of "Vulcan's Fury", and I just wanna say I'm glad they kept the look of the TOS-era Romulans! I half expected them to all be bald with tattooes and flying 5-mile long space octopii, as if that's what they always did (kinda like DC Comics' TMP-Klingon version of Kor)

Possible nerd rage incident averted:p

3. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here, Bill J. I like the twists on turns the story took. It wasn't a straight up word for word adaptation of the episode. they took advantage of these new versions of the characters. Loved the twist at the end about Landru. and wondering where that will lead to next issue.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm wondering if the first page with Sulu is yet another easter egg for the new movie, perhaps a similar scenario for Benedict Cumberbatch's Starfleet-uniformed character?

5. BillJ

I just hope to God that it isn't...

Section 31

:scream:

6. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, they were kind of assholes, but wouldn't it be more absurd that such an organization didn't exist, especially when the Federation was founded at a time when their biggest neighbors were pretty much massive assholes?

7. BillJ

I'm just tired of them being the boogeyman.

8. Therin of Andor

You mean when it's not the Borg, or Q, or Klingons, or Cardassians, or Romulans - or a random black hat madman with revenge on his mind?

9. BillJ

Oh no. I have a special dislike for this particular group because they've become something of a crutch for writers and fans alike.

10. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wondered that too... I could live with that.

This is one of the stronger retold episodes so far. It was nice to see a member of the supporting cast get a bit of meat on their bones. If all the characters get the occasional spotlight like this then I shall be very pleased.

Having said that, the Vulcan story had a strong first episode that limped home in the second issue.

However, they've drifted back to almost no female characters again, which is getting really tiresome.

11. Cadet49

Cadet49 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I felt the same way. *I was excited for this series when I heard about it, but was very disappointed when I discovered that the majority of the issues largely the same plotlines as the TOS episodes, with a few minor plot and dialogue changes. *I have a hard time believing that the Enterprise was having all these encounters with the same aliens and situations from TOS season 1, when those events happened in 2266/2267 in TOS, and this comic is happening in 2258. Even with the idea that this might be the timeline trying to correct itself or follow along similar lines, this ongoing thread of TOS events years earlier just draws me out of the story. *Easter eggs to the original series are fine, but I need original plotlines to keep me interested, just as ST 2009 movie was not a retelling of a TOS episode, but an original plot in itself ... we need to see more like the Vulcan fury story arc!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  12. Therin of Andor

The easter eggs aren't for TOS, they are for the next movie. Hidden in each issue are various hints/clues (or red herrings) as to aspects of the forthcoming sequel to 2009's "Star Trek".

13. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek #9 is the first story that I feel actually qualifies as "re-imagined" and not simply "re-told." It's taken the "Return of the Archons" concept and is going in a totally different direction with it. This is more of what I was hoping this book would be from the beginning.

14. Pauln6

Read the second part and I think this story did shape up as one of the strongest so far. The supporting cast each got a little moment to contribute, the story was well-paced, and the dialogue was not too dumbed down. It's a shame that the resolution was so straightforward but if they won't expand the stories to more than two issues I don't see how they can overcome this. It's a real shame because a lot of these stories could be really good if they were able to add a few more set pieces to each of them.

It's nice to see them leave some plot threads dangling - I suspect this will lead into the sequel in some way too.

But I do hope that the decision not to use Rand in the sequel doesn't man she'll be phased out of the ongoing series! Too much history repeating itself!

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On the contrary, probably the fact that she wasn't intended to be in the movie was the whole reason they were free to use her in the comic. Generally tie-in comics for ongoing movie series are expected to stay out of the movies' way and not cover the same ground. Note that Gary Mitchell, another character Orci ruled out for the sequel, has also appeared in the comics. Since he's ruled out Charlie Evans and Ruk as well, we might see comic adaptations of "Charlie X" and "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" in the future.

16. Pauln6

I was never a huge fan of Trek's recurring obsession with sinister alien robots but I'd welcome an opportunity to explore Nurse Chapel's background more fully. Since Chapel will quite likely appear in the sequel, maybe they will save her origin story for afterwards so they can use the actress's likeness?

I wouldn't mind them re-imagining one of Janice's 'big' episodes in the comic, although the Enemy Within would be my preference (good luck to them coming up with some passable technobabble to explain why they couldn't use the shuttle). A bigger concern would be that they would re-cast Uhura in the original Janice role. I hope they give Uhura more to do in some of their original stories but I'd still like Janice to have her spotlight. She's still called Yeoman Rand, so I hope that eventually, they will use her on the bridge and actually show her, well, being Kirk's assistant, rather than just as a security guard.

Tribbles up next!

17. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the star trek/legion crossover and the tng/dr.who crossover are on the nook color when are they going to release star trek ongoing on the color?

18. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Did anyone else see the last page of Archons Part II as a setup for the new movie? That would be amazing!

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

As mentioned before it has been reported that supposedly little tid bits and teases in the comic could be used in the film. I must admit, I really enjoyed this issue, and yes it should be interesting to find out who is manipulating Admiral Pike (I'm guessing another Admiral of some kind). The art in this series is simply spectacular. The likenesses are stunning.

20. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I lost interest as soon as I saw that it would take place in the 2009 Trek universe. :thumbdown: