Jon Favreau exits IRON MAN 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I hope RDJ doesn't pick Justin Theroux to write AND direct this film.

2. Samurai8472

Well that's it, he's out for good. I guess Iron Man 4 will be a reboot with a younger Tony and it will be influenced by the "Ultimates" version >_>

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Though I can completely understand wanting to do something different, going from Downey and Iron Man to a Disneyland movie sounds like a serious step down to moi, but, whatever floats his boat...

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Favreau is a family man and apparently really enjoyed making the family-friendly comedy Elf (which was also very successful), so perhaps he's going back to a type of movie that he thinks could be creatively fresh yet simultaneously harken back to something familiar that has worked for him in the past.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope he continues to makes more stuff like Made, Swingers (Doug liman), very bad things (Peter berg) too

6. Samurai8472

Agreed. He also made "Zathura". He's not really picky. He does everything

Swingers
    Action
    Scifi
    Family

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep he has a wide range of interests it seems as a director. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing "Cowboys and Aliens" next year and "Magic Kingdom" seems like it could be interesting. He's a little like Robert Rodriguez in the sense that he's not above making kid focused films.

8. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

To my understanding Favreau was instrumental in getting RDJ as Tony and to establishing the tone of the Ironman franchise. And I like both of those things a lot. But there was something about his action direction that just felt a bit off, like he wasn't entirely comfortable with mega-budget SFX stuff. So I am not totally opposed to the idea of a new director for IM3.

I'd love to see Paul Verhoeven get a crack at IM3.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I say Tom Six.

10. Gaith

Alfonso Cuaron (for just about anything)
    Jonathan Frakes (needs the work) :p
    Stephen Sommers (needs good work)

11. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Let Downey direct it.

12. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Neill Blomkamp (District 9), Ben Stiller (Tropic Thunder), Shane Black (Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang), Peter Berg (The Rundown), Duncan Jones (Moon) and Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop) have all been short-listed to replace Favreau.

13. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good choices, all of them. Sad to Favreu go. But just as the comic has taken on new writers, a new director isn't necessarily a bad thing.

We'll just wait and see.

14. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

This is not good.

15. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No Guy Ritchie eh? Is he really that wrong for the job?

16. Gaith

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I'm having a boner for Verhoeven... Especially if the story should ever focus on the Demon in a Bottle storyline.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't know how reliable this website is, but they have a slightly different take on it:

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/scifimediazone/news/?a=26487#int27

I'm not entirely convinced by this explanation, omitting, as it does, any reference to Marvel interference or the Avengers stuff. Then again, RDJ exiting Cowboys and Aliens did come as a surprise and this may explain it.

19. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I for one am happy he is out. IM2 was wrong on so many levels and right from the opening scenes the pacing of the film was just not right. I was mostly bored by IM2 and really didnt want to see another take on IM by the same director. Now they can get a director in there who wants to play ball with the overall Marvel theme that is being created. Maybe introduce the Wrecking Crew as the villians which would tie into Loki and Thor and the Avengers.

20. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

YOU hate Alien: Resurrection. Not all of 'us' do-I like it fine, mainly the Director's Cut.

I also liked Iron Man II and thought that it was great.

I also had no problem with that-I think that it was the best main plot I've ever seen in a movie, and a great way to solve the problem of what was killing Tony. My hope for the next movie is that the fat asshole in the government realizes why Tony didn't want anybody else to get the Iron Man armors and backs off from bugging him further.