How many times did Picard decline a promotion?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mach5, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I can't remember for the life of me, exactly how many times had Picard been offered a rank of Admiral and declined?

2. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only remember once, when the Admiral wanted him to be Commandant of the Academy.

3. Diogenes

Diogenes Lieutenant Red Shirt

At least twice. The second time was a promotion to Admiral offered to Picard by Fleet Admiral Leonard James Akaar, Commander-in-Chief of Starfleet, in "Losing the Peace," after the events in the Destiny trilogy.

(If you're a longtime Trek fan and know your history, the moment between Picard and the Capellan is a treat from the author--a nice nod to the movie "Generations." Thank you, Mr. William Leisner.)

4. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is the only one in series canon that I can remember.

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

5. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    The only canon instance is when Admiral Quinn wants to promote Picard to Commandant of Star Fleet Academy. Certainly, he'd be a good choice to mold the new generation of cadets. -- RR

6. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picard can't stand kids, and that's essentially what cadets are. I think he'd be a less-than-ideal choice for Academy commandant.

7. KirksFlyingFist

KirksFlyingFist Lieutenant Red Shirt

As many times as the plot required him to so he could remain on the Enterprise. :techman:

8. FinalFrontier

FinalFrontier Lieutenant Red Shirt

It is only once in canon star trek, and twice if you count the time with Admiral Akaar from non canon, like everyone has already said.

9. The Boy Who Cried Worf

It was Riker who always had the problem with the big chair. 14 years as second in command? Troi should have spent less time pining over him and more time giving his some career counseling.

10. FinalFrontier

FinalFrontier Lieutenant Red Shirt

It seemed like no one cared that Riker's career stalled, except for ONE time during BOBW.

11. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Riker certainly didn't seem to care. He was too busy kicking ass/getting laid/getting laid some more.

Picard would have been good in that post because it would have been his job to be in that post, but I don't think he would have enjoyed the gig much.

12. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Well, in The Pegasus, we were given another reason Riker wasn't offered the big chair again for some time -- his involvement in covering up the phasing cloak technology, at the behest of his then-commander, Preston. So not only did he refuse three appointments, he lied about a violation of Federation law. -- RR

13. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Riker taking a rank reduction and falling back in line on the Enterprise after BOBW totally ruined his character for me.

14. The Boy Who Cried Worf

You'd think they'd overlook that in light of...well in light of saving the whole f'n Federation from being assimilated by the Borg.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Winner!

After that he was nothing more than Picard's administrative assistant. :guffaw:

16. Wes-Cutting

Wes-Cutting Lieutenant Red Shirt

When I read that part I was cracking up, I was happy that Leisner used that line. After all that has happened in the books it is a wonder why Picard hasn't been promoted.

17. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I'm glad he rejected that....who want's to give up being on a space ship and becoming a desk jocky? Plus we all know that once you're a desk jockey in Starfleet, you often become a pompus asshole.

18. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Would that be a promotion? "Commandant" is a title, not a rank. He could still be the Commandant of Starfleet Academy while holding the rank of captain.

19. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

I can only remember him be offered promtion once to be in charge of the academy. But wasn't there at least once when he was actually an Admiral, Riker in 'Future Imperfect' had suppossedly lost 16 years of memory but it was all an elucination because an alien was lonely?

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

That little thing always troubled me. Riker wasn't made acting Captain, he was in fact promoted to full, permanent rank of Captain, yet he chose degradation just so he can get back to being XO again.

Didn't make sense than, doesn't make any more sense now. I wonder what would psychologists say about this evident fear of moving on. Perhaps it was Riker's fear of leaving Troi behind and losing her for good that kept him in place.