The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, Lori is a bitch. But her revulsion wasn't at Rick killing Shane. It was at the realization her 11 year old son is turning into a stone cold killer

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Rick isn't an asshole. I know he's fucked up by not telling them, but he's got reason to lose it. It's a fantastic set up, though for season 3--Rick's tenuous hold on sanity. This is the man who wouldn't initially leave Shane behind on that bus. Is he good? Is he bad? How will he react to that ungrateful cow Lori turning on him. Will he become a dictator? I can't imagine him going completely Shane.

He's made mistakes, but Rick's earned some good will and I do think that Daryl will have his back. Fascinating, fascinating set up. Andrew Lincoln really impressed me tonight. You notice that Rick didn't totally lose it until Lori stopped believing in him.

Perhaps, but are we sure? That look on her face when Rick admitting killing him--before he told her about Carl. She broke physical contact with him. That's telling. Ohhhhh, I just wanted to smack her. Carl becoming a stone cold killer isn't exactly Rick's fault. Was it better if he let Shane take a bite?

3. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure declaring yourself a despot makes you an asshole.

5. Dorian Thompson

Eh, there are mitigating circumstances. :rommie: None of them are stepping up. Maybe it's because you can see the effect having to kill Shane had on him, as well as Lori's rejection. I'm not saying it's a good idea what he's doing, but if an actor is skilled enough (unlike poor Sarah Wayne Callies) you can find ways to empathize if not necessarily agree with the character.

6. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great finale. I am glad they all found each other back at the highway (minus Laurie).

7. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

now this is where season 1 should've ended. and Michonne with the two zombies in chains is awesome. now the helicopter I believed is controlled by the govener so I hoping he will show up next season. now we are up to the prison being in season 3 which will be awesome and new characters to come.

now season 3 will be a whole lot darker than season 2. and for those who have not read the comic DO SO NOW.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  8. Dorian Thompson

I never thought of that--the Governor maybe being responsible for the helicopter. All I know is that I'm pumped for season 3. It's been set up so deliciously. I've got to get back into Mad Men mode now. How am I going to rachet down? :lol: I love both shows, but they're sooooo different.

I could transfer my Lori hate back to Don Draper. :guffaw: Still, I could handle Lori's behavior if the narrative would simply cut the bull shit and acknowledge that she's a bad person. That Lady MacBeth routine she pulled whispering into Rick's ear about Shane thinking he couldn't protect them and now she gets high and mighty because Carl had to shoot him? How about watching your son once in a while, woman? Apparently Kirkman was asked about what Lori did, and his response was, "She's mad at herself." :rolleyes: Just admit she's worthless and embrace it for her character, Kirkman. I'm team Andrea from now on.

I would expect the rest of the group to be thrown off by Rick's admission of what Jenner whispered and angry for awhile, but....he was hoping it wasn't true and he didn't have proof. It doesn't excuse Rick but makes it a little more understandable. Still, Lori should have stood up for him. She won't, though.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I hate to say it, but if I had been part of the group and just heard Rick's tirade at the end of the episode, I would have slipped off quietly in the night. He came off as worse than Shane.

10. Dorian Thompson

Yeah, but who's gonna do that without a car? Daryl's the only one with wilderness survival skills, but he knows that Rick was telling the truth because he figured out that Shane was lying about Randall from the tracks. Woods are full of walkers. No one wants to face that. Plus, as Andrea said, Shane's "presentation" was off. The group perceived him as more dangerous. Hasn't Rick earned a little good will once they've had a good night's sleep and maybe the shock wears off? Just playing devil's advocate. I love the dynamic the show has set up for next season.

I have a hard time believing that the writers won't temper Rick just a little bit. The television audience isn't the comics audience. A long term protagonist can't be pushed competely past the point of no return and keep a huge portion of audience. I could be completely wrong, but does anyone else agree? I'm curious. If Rick's pushed past the point of no return morally, then they've written themselves into a real corner.

11. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think he will back down a bit in the morning. He has to do something semi useful though. Seriously, he lured the herd to the house then got Jimmy killed then took off with only herschel. He's as useless as ever.

What the hell was he doing all afternoon waiting on the road anyway? did it not occur to him to try and syphon gas for his tank?

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Well, I think the past 2 seasons have provided enough evidence that these people have no real survival skills like scavenging or time management.;)

13. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I seriously don't know how they've survived this long :guffaw:

14. Dorian Thompson

They probably did siphon gas. Who knows how long they'd been driving after they took off? They don't have a trunk full of gas cans. :lol: I don't know how you can blame him for luring the herd to the house. Was he supposed to run into the walker infested woods with Carl? They didn't have much time to consider options. The cars were at the house.

EDIT--if that was the spot where they originally lost Sophia, they'd already siphoned the gas from those cars. It's not like some walker is going to stagger along and fill them up. :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  15. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Uh, everyone was fighting back against Rick.

I'm not sure how it was ever decided Rick was the "leader". Daryl seems far better suited for it. Even Glenn is smarter than Rick when he's not hampered by a group.

16. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

1) Wow that was epic

2) I hope Rick doesn't become Shane, he needed to die for a reason

3) I don't get why people are hating on Lori. She had a perfectly understandable reaction to what Rick told her. He said he wanted him dead, that he knew it was coming and let it because he wanted to kill him. The part about Shane trying to kill him first was barely mentioned.

17. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

You expect me to pay attention to the ravings of guy who keeps big secrets from the group and murdered his best friend? :p

(Yeah, I noticed rewatching.)

He shouldn't have told them Jenner told him at all, instead just lept to that conclusion "on his own". "Wow, Rick, you are insightful. Maybe everyone is infected."

Noise in the woods.

1. Michonne and Andrea caught up to them...somehow.
    2. Walker
    3. Deer, someone will see it and get shot, that's how every season will open, with someone getting shot.
    4. Prison folks
    5. Shane's ghost that only Rick can see....Bernthal was a good cast member they wanted him back.
    6. Mountain men, and...they think Rick's got a purty mouth.
    7. The African American guy and his son from the pilot, they someone caught up with Rick.
    8. Ted McGinley, to ruin the show.

18. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say that it isn't just a matter of turing that's the mental problem: it's the weight of already being sick. Even if you don't feel the effects (and who knows what those might be long term), the illusion that your body is un-corrupt until you're bitten is now gone.

And I am officially done with Lori. the character is internally inconsistent to the extent that it brought the excellent finale down every time she opened her mouth. I don't blame the actress. It's the writing. What looked like a good Macbeth plot, where she urges Rick to action and then sets Shane up for a confrontation? Apparently it wasn't that at all: Lori just needs to say something stupid and paradoxical in each and every episode.

19. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's not declared himself a despot, he's declared himself a tyrant in the truest, original sense of the word. Which is exactly what they need to survive. All that debating and back and forth over what to do left them more worried about members of the group than the fact the dead are trying to eat them.

20. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Tyrant? Like in Resident Evil. Rick's gonna be a mutant monster. :evil:

Back to "everyone is infected". Again, at the start of the season, dead bodies on the road and in cars that weren't walkers. (Carl finds some knives in one car with a corpse that IIRC, didn't have a head wound.)

I'm thinking they died before the infection spread to the living.

Why does T Dog think the east coast is a good idea? Let's hear more about that. Live on a boat?