"Castle" season 4 begins tonight

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Neroon, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I don't know why but as soon as I saw that female executive I said my wife "she did it".

It was nice to have Castle back on the air and this was a nice light romp to get us back into the swing of things. Looking forward to the next episode!

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah...that was the other thing I forgot to mention. I too thought as soon as they showed the executive that it was her, probably her attitude towards the CEO or whoever he was.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

How so? The immediate response by Kate summed it up.. men want and don't want to know. They want someone with experience yet not too much experience.

Castle loves her and it's hard to imagine the person you love having had sex with others even if they're single currently.. it makes people jealous even if there's no reason.

4. Savage Dragon

I was never jealous of my wife's past sexual parttners. It's in the past and it was before she knew me. Ryan had it right when he just brushed off Jenny's fling.

5. Admiral_Young

I was surprised by the reaction because I swear I could recall the two of them discussing this as far back as season one and at that time Kate chose not to tell Rick anything and Rick was curious. Plus we know she already had one partner in Josh, it is reasonable to assume that she's had others, just as we know Rick has. I understand what was intended by that exchange and commented on Nathan's reaction to it. It just seems weird to bring it up now...jealously of any kind at this point in their friendship seems like a forced plot device. I think though Rick was mostly being playful with Kate.

6. Savage Dragon

^That's how I saw it.

7. Admiral_Young

Also anyone think that Javier and Lanie should just get back together? It is quite clear that there is still passion and attraction there. Javier's jealously doesn't suit his character in my opinion.

8. Savage Dragon

I think the end of Monday's episode was a deliberate step in that direction.

9. Admiral_Young

^ I thought so as well.

10. Admiral_Young

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Arc heavy and we're getting closer to discovering the mystery behind Joanna Beckett's murder. Is this the first time we've seen Mayor Walden on screen? I don't recall seeing him before. Castle's feelings for Kate is starting to compromise him a bit. I feel like the writers are going to use his feelings against the evolution of their relationship in order to create that drama and maybe form a wedge. I had previously thought that it would be obvious that they'd finally get together this season but now I have my doubts. I also missed the deputy thing and I knew someone would interrupt him from saying the name. The mystery deepens!!

11. FPAlpha

That was one hell of an episode!

Judging from the information i had for the episode, the short summary and a few sneak peeks i thought it would be an interesting episode with a "normal" case that "just" put the both of them at odds but i never imagined it be tied to the Castle metaplot and that was done brilliantly.

That's what was missing from the entire season so far.. i love the banter and developing relationship stuff and i'll be one happy camper when they get together but the JB murder case was always central to them and it's good to know that the writers haven't forgotten that and they bring it back with style.

The writing was rock solid on this one.. really liked the building suspense and tension between Castle and Beckett until they finally blew up City Hall after confronting the mayor.. Beckett was spot on and Castle knew that the game was up.

Also impressed by the writing (and performance) for Gates.. they peeled back a bit of the shell and have shown more of her which i'm all for. I am beginning to like her.. she's a cop through and through, uncompromising but fair, maybe a stickler for rules but she believes in them and she believes in justice.
    I also don't think she'd have removed Castle from the precinct if push came to show.. i believe she's come around on him a bit and sees that he brings something to the table which makes Beckett's team so succesful so she'd keep him around.

@adm. young:

The mayor made a few appearances in season 1 but they changed the actor for this one.. this is maybe why you didn't recognize him.

12. Admiral_Young

^ Ahhh okay. That makes sense. Yeah Gates is great...I know I've been the only one (I think) who has liked her from the start but I think we all knew we weren't going to get another Captain Montgomery. We've seen subtle signs that she's "warming" up to Castle, or at least respects him to a degree. I don't think she would automatically remove Rick without just cause. Maybe at the very start...but now she's seen him work with Kate for a while now. Successfully too.

I still think they're going to use Castle's feelings for Kate as a way to build tension between them due to the JB case. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't think we're on an easy road to Caskett :)

13. FPAlpha

It's sure that Caskett is not easy to become a couple.. especially with the 2 mines waiting to explode, i.e. both of their big secrets however, unlike other shows, the producers know the feelings of the fans regarding the couple to be and are on record that there are definite plans to get them together because they don't want to extend it needlessly like other shows.

However they are very tight lipped when and how that will happen but several interviews have painted a clearer picture that it may indeed happen this season (or at least some monumental progress).

14. Admiral_Young

Agreed. As I mentioned prior in the thread Stana and Nathan are both on record as saying they want it to happen and think it would be great for the show. Originally I think I said I thought something might happen for Feb sweeps...maybe maybe now they'll draw it out and let it unfold until May. For some reason I think we're going to get a cliffhanger season finale that deals with it.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

There HAS to be a better ship contraction than Caskett!

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bestle?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not bad overall, but I hate stories about vast, overarching, all-powerful conspiracies. They're crap. In reality, the larger a conspiracy gets, the more impossible it is to keep it secret, because there are just too many ways for it to be compromised or exposed. So huge, untouchable, entrenched conspiracies are about as believable as UFO abductions. Not to mention that conspiracy/paranoia-based stories are so damn predictable and formulaic, which makes them boring to me.

And could they have made it any more formulaic in that climactic scene with the mayor's aide in the interrogation room? "All right, I'll tell you. The name of the person I called, which I am about to tell you, is the name I'm about to reveal, which is -- are you listening? Good, because I'll tell you now that the name, which is the name of the person I called, I mean, is...." The only difference from the usual stilted cliche is that he was silenced by a lawyer instead of a gunshot. Sheesh.

That was a good scene with Captain Gates, though. Except that the way she pushed Beckett to move on and erase the crime board at the end there made me wonder (damn, now they've got me doing it) if she could be secretly part of the Vast Evil Conspiracy. I mean, she wants Castle out of the way and so do the conspirators. Although I guess we already had the previous captain turn out to be part of the VEC, however grudgingly, so that would be repetitive. But then, as I just said, the problem with conspiracy stories is that they're formulaic, that every trusted authority figure turns out to be in on it. So the question is, just how much are they embracing the cliches?

I vote for no contraction at all.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I second. I was just trying to mollify the masses, who seem to thrive on these things.

19. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, I think Castle would get a kick out of it. :techman:

20. Admiral_Young

^ I think he would as well. I don't think Gates is part of the conspiracy. She's just a "cop's cop" and doesn't think Castle belongs there with the real cops. I think she thinks that he hampers their investigation and doesn't bring anything. I also think she thinks that Rick is an obvious distraction for Kate that she doesn't need. Gates has slowly come around now though. She'd really have to have just cause to boot out Rick now. He'd have to do something incredibly stupid to piss her off enough to consider it.

I like how Kate has come around to give Rick the benefit of the doubt now...I think back in season one or two there would be no way she would not hesitate before going after the Mayor. The two of them have come a long way.

As for the notion of a conspiracy theory as a plot device. Eh. I think this one has been slightly different than most others. It hasn't been in our faces all the time. I don't think it "forced" either. It is part of the main arc of the show...and hell it's a mystery!! So I don't have any problem with it. My main concern is that I hope they don't drag it out too long, just to tell the story.