STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening

Well, with Fast and Furious and Hangover III waiting in the wings, it better make a bunch quick. Hopefully word of mouth will give it a good Memorial day and beyond.

Looks like the Great Gatsby will not be all that big a deal judging by the reviews.

Crossing fingers!

3. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm surprised at the TGG reviews.

4. RollTide1017

RollTide1017 Ensign Red Shirt

Nobody wants to see a classic book like TGG filled with a bunch of crappy hip hop songs. My wife loves TGG and was thrilled when she found out they were making another movie but, when she found out that Jay Z was doing the music she lost all interest. I'll go out on a limb and say that the built in audience who loves TGG book probably aren't fans of hip hop.

I'm surprised so many people are interested in Hangover III, the second one sucked. I think the series has out lived its welcome. I'm not a fan of the F&F movies. I understand the young folk love them but, I just don't get the appeal.

F&F 6 and Hangover III seem to be going after the same audience so, I wouldn't be shocked if they split there audiences and under achieved, allowing Trek to remain in the top spot. Maybe that's whisful thinking on my part. I mean come on, even if you hate JJ Trek you got to admit that it looks better then F&F and Hangover III, IMO atleast.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not. The book is filled with no songs, crappy or otherwise. It is completely untouched and unspoiled, and you can read it again and again if you want. As for the movie, I don't see any "crappy hip-hop song" on the soundtrack.

6. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

Star Trek Nemesis and Insurrection total combined gross for full run- $172 million and STID is gonna get half of that in the first three days? Amazing.

7. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I would say:

Thurs: 15m
    Fri: 35m
    Sat: 28m
    Sun: 22m

Total 4-day: 100m
    3-Day opening weekend: 85m

Is my guess :)

8. Flake

Second Weekend: $33m
    Third Weekend: $19m
    Fourth Weekend: $10m
    + weekdays etc $50m

Hopefully get to say $200m after a month of release and fingers crossed it limps to $250m+ ?

I think I said $300+m before but in the weeks since that prediction I have realised that the competition is much much more fierce this time around. $250m is still a success. I would like Paramount to give the next Trek movie some more breathing room though. Reserve a November or early December release for the next one please.. not summer imo.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'd make less money with this kind of film in November or December. That's why they release them during the blockbuster season.

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Is there a minimum box office Paramount would be "happy" with? A take that would quickly shine a green light on a second sequel - with a commitment to a commensurately high blockbuster budget. I'm thinking $500m worldwide would do it.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Variety is describing STID now as tracking "north of 90 million" for the three day weekend alone.

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't usually follow the box-office tracking stuff. How credible are they and how often are their predictions close to reality?

13. Flake

Lots of blockbusters in Nov and Dec. Most notable one being Avatar.

Though still less blockbusters than in Summer and therefore more space for each movie.

14. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the Star Wars fans will come along, to see how their new 'master' JJ fares at sci fi! SW fans helping out a Star Trek movie! hehe. And hopefully the Cumberbatch fangirls will rock up in their droves.

I saw STID today, and will definitely go again at least once or twice before it leaves theatres.

15. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I'm with you. I'm a fan of both, but Trek more so. I like supporting the underdog!

16. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

And Britain. He is well loved over there. I have some British friends who are going to see the movie just to see him.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

That's not much competition. A warmed over 6th entry in the venerable F&F series that no one watches anymore, and a lame comedy sequel to a lame sequel? ST09 had more competition.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The signs for worldwide totals seem to be trending well so with that + ST looking like a $90 million North America opening I think $450-500 million for a minimum grand total is looking likely.

19. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Has BOM posted the worldwide take yet?

20. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Hmm, I don't think that's quite right. Fast 5 hauled a worldwide box office of $626m, that's not too shabby! I certainly wouldn't dismiss the next entry casually!

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=fastfive.htm