Netflix Removes The Search For Spock

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Starbreaker, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

... to fix Vulcan and Klingon subtitles.

Best story I've heard all day. I'm really tempted to go home and watch the movie with Vulcan turned on now.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Wait, did they fix the subtitles for the sections where Klingons and Vulcans speak in their native tongue, or did they add Klingon/Vulcan subtitles to the whole film?

If it's the latter...weird. :)

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That ill-written article meant that the film as originally shown on Netflix neglected to add the subtitles when Klingons and Vulcans spoke thier native language. I remember being annoyed at this when I watched it a few weeks ago. Just checked it again and the subtitles are now there.

4. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe now they can add back The Motion Picture, Voyage Home, Final Frontier Undiscovered Country, Generations, and First Contact!

5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I'm confused. Why would Netflix need to add the subtitles. Aren't they already there in this movie?

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yes, they meant to write "with English subtitles for the Klingon and Vulcan dialogue." I'd love to see a movie actually subtitled in Klingon or Vulcan, though. In fact, some fan with too much time on his hands has probably done it!

Commercial theatrical film prints are several generations removed from the camera negative. Therefore, the source elements used to create the video master may not have had subtitles built in. Also, subtitles may be digitally re-done for video media for clarity and legibility.

Link

7. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Today they pulled season 5 of Fringe after only one day. I called and was told it a mistake- it wasn't due up till the end of August.

8. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You know I wonder if I have Vulcan/Klingon subtitles on my DVD. This is a good excuse to rewatch the movie.

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

^I know I have them on my DVD.

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I remember reading an article long ago, perhaps in Starlog or one of the licensed Star Trek magazines, where Christopher Lloyd used to clown around on the set issuing orders to his henchmen, like "Bring me some chocolate, Maltz!" Too bad they never seemed to show up on a blooper reel anywhere.

11. Dart

Dart Commodore Commodore

It's silly really, the Vulcan's were speaking English, dubbed over with Vulcan voice-over then English subtitles overlaid!

12. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes me think of a fantastic Avengers/Trek crossover! :devil:

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My son and I recently watched "Encounter at Farpoint" and found that when Riker orders all stations to prepare for reconnection, the subtitles say, "All stations prepare for a happy birthday."

I hope they never fix that one, it was too funny to see it!

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

My favourite caption glitch accompanies the Robert Wise commentary on the ST:TMP DE. He mentions that the gala premiere was "at the Swiss Odeon" (misheard by the captioner; Wise actually says "the Smithsonian").

15. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Actually, that would be kinda cool... :shifty: