Does this superhero team exist?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Fist McStrongpunch, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But not the costume. It was something much closer to normal clothes.

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

The only thing coming close that i can remember is Marvel's Exiles comic featuring alternate versions of known heroes/villains across the multiverse teaming up and travelling through various universes to set history straight whenever something deviated from it.

3. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

fear enough when he was the Red/Blue Blur, but when he was just The Blur, the long black coat, and top with the S shield on it, its alot more costume like, if not the traditional Superman costume.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It was interesting reading those from each side, you sometimes only saw the parts that mattered to the hero of the book you were reading...

5. Christopher

Let me try to get this across one more time. I never said he wasn't willing to wear any kind of costume; he wouldn't get very far as an actor with that attitude. I said that he wasn't willing to wear the Superman costume specifically. There's a big difference, sartorially, between wearing a logo t-shirt and black duster and wearing tights and a cape in bright primary colors. Many today would consider the latter quite silly or embarrassing to wear.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. He had to be 29 or 30, tops. Clark was still in High School when Pa died. It was shortly after he discovered the fortress. Jor-el mentioned the training took either ten or twelve years (I think).

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Not a superhero team in the traditional sense, but the Fringe Division characters on the show of the same name have super-genius polymaths and telekinetics with regenerative powers (amongst other powers), and have both fought against or teamed up with versions of themselves from alternate universes and timelines, along with AI shapeshifters, alien-like mostly evil future humans, and other amazing allies and enemies.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Didn't Alan Moore introduce multiple Supremes to the Supreme title? I think they have some sort of headquarters where they meet.

9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

you misunderstood my post, I was not so much commenting on Tom Welling not wanting to wear the costume, but on Clark Kent not wearing one, until the point he became The Blur. Any Clark Kent (whatever corner of the DC Multiverse, he exists in, has to be willing to wear one a costume at some stage, until the black "duster" he had not worn one. It was a step on the way to being Superman, that he wore a costume when he did his crime fighting.

10. Christopher

Well, yeah, that much is self-evident, but it's not what I was talking about. I specifically raised the subject of the actor's willingness, not the character's.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Marvel did have the Thor Corps but they were all the same person. And I thought the various Flashs teamed up at one point.

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think technically they only met one time, but you got to keep reading about it ... over and over...

In AD&D, one of my players had a character named Slag, and I had him meet his dimensional counterpart that I called Grimlock as a joke. Later Slag was inadvertently cloned, and I called the clone Snarl. (I'm sure a few people will get the reference.) They did team up on one occasion.

And I'd say "All Good Things..." deserves a nod here.

13. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Badass normal" should be an oxymoron.

14. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

On the flip side of the basic idea, in his novel "The Incredible Hulk: What Savage Beast" Peter David had the Hulkbusters: sixty alternate universe versions of the Hulk, brought together by the Maestro (an evil future version of the Hulk) to conquer the multiverse.

15. Christopher

It's "normal" in the sense of not having superpowers, but being able to hold one's own anyway. Like Batman vis-a-vis the Justice League, Nick Fury vis-a-vis the Avengers, Giles vis-a-vis Buffy, etc.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I have such a team in my files, not from different universes, but different iterations. Through an unlikely sequence of events there is the prime character, a robot version, a zombie version, a ghost version and a couple of others. No stories have appeared yet, but the prime character is referenced in "The Long And The Short Of It" in Eidolic Highway.

Still, there's no reason why you can't write your own unique take on the idea-- clearly, lots of writers already have.

17. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I seem to recall a team up of all the Robins to save Batman from some horrific threat in the past few years. Like, every Robin (not just Dick, Jason and Tim), even the female one (Stephanie?)

18. Christopher

I believe that was an issue of the tie-in comic based on the Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV series.

19. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A team of Robins? What were they called? "The flock"?

20. Christopher

Hmm... the mention of all the Robins has me wondering which single superhero identity has had been used by the largest number of people. I think it may be Captain Marvel (the Marvel-Universe version, not even counting Billy Batson). Apparently seven people have borne the Captain Marvel name at least briefly in the Marvel Universe. There have been only five official Robins per current continuity, plus Carrie Kelly in an alternate future, plus the young Bruce Wayne according to the pre-Crisis continuity of the '50s. That's also seven, but only five within the same reality, so I'd say CM comes out ahead.

Oh, but wait a minute -- apparently there have been eleven bearers of the name Starman within DC history, although one was a villain named Star-Man so I wouldn't count that. Not sure how many of those are in the same continuity, though.