Question regarding a paradox in the bridge layout

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Aerodyll, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Aerodyll

Aerodyll Cadet Newbie

Hi guys. I am an artist working in the games industry in UK. I am currently working on a personal project and would like to ask for some advice from enthusiasts like yourselves as I have hit a brick wall. My project is to create the top deck of a sister ship to Voyager. It is almost the same as voyager though there are a few differences (surprisingly these differences occur where I couldn't get reference for them).

This is the layout I am using HERE

I struggled to find decent info on the layout of this ship so this is good as I could find and it is fit for my purpose even if it is not that accurate. It looks believable so it works for me however the one place I cannot have inaccuracies is on the bridge which is what has brought me here.

If you trace on the floor plan the route from the corridors at the top down towards the bridge you will see it is all flat with no indicated change in elevation. Entrances to the bridge, ready room and conference room are all on a level. But when you look at the bridge below you see that there are essentially 3 levels of elevation on the bridge (4 including the pilots pit) and the RR and CR are on another level below the bridge as they have steps leading up to it from the doorways.

[​IMG]

So if you follow the corridors to the RR and the CR and the bridge you do not go down any steps so they are all on a level. But when you go to the bridge from the RR and the CR you have to go up steps. This is physically impossible.

If possible could anyone shed some light on this for me please?
    I could just wing it like other artists have done on this kind of project but I wont do that unless I have to. Have I missed something here or is there a major flaw in the layout or something? Or is it even a fault in the original design or something that was added on the fly during the development and not noticed (as this only becomes apparent when you look at a top down plan). If it is indeed my plan that is off could you provide some more accurate diagrams (any at all would help).

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a fan-made schematic. You'd have better luck finding the set plans and working from there. A very basic top-down plan is here: http://pat.suwalski.net/film/st-stages/stage8.php but much more detailed ones are out there somewhere. Some are reproduced in the making of book, "A Vision of the Future" by Stephen Edward Poe but I'm sure they're online somewhere too.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If you want to stay with the diagram you presented, you might consider the possibility that the two corridors aft of the CR/RR are ramps and obtain the the same level as the S-shape corridor behind the main bridge.

Personally, I alway thought that the doorway in Janeway's ready room lead to a private toilet, and then to a corridor. But that's just me.

:)

4. jaz'a

jaz'a Vice Admiral Admiral

There are a number of episodes where Janeway leaves her ready room through that door and ends up directly in the corridor behind. Including at least one where she had other people with her.

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

There are ramps. They had them on the Enterprise D, so they could have them on Voyager as well.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I've discovered a peculiar thing in the drawing Aerodyll provided in the link. In the drawing, there's a mess hall on Deck 1. What I have learned, the mess hall on Voyager is on Deck 2. :confused:

7. Tiberius

It's a different mess hall.

8. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Whose office is that?

9. Tiberius

Probably Chakotay's.

10. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

I'd get a copy of the Elite Force 2 PC game (or check for you tube videos) as you can walk around the bridge and adjacent rooms and look from 360 degree views to see any kissing details you can't see on TV.